PDA

View Full Version : IT Cars?

Racerxxx
01-02-2004, 01:51 PM
I am planning on building a car this winter to race this season or next. I was wondering what opinions you guys might have. I can either build my Alfa Milano 2.5 or my Mitsu Eclipse. I know the Alfas do okay, but I've never seen the Eclipse run in ITA (I think that's the classification). Any and all feedback welcome. Thanks

Jeff

racer_tim
01-02-2004, 02:24 PM
Jeff, I haven't seen an Alfa Milano in ITS nor a Mitsu Eclipse/Talon in ITA, at least not on the left coast.

ITS most popular cars are the 240Z and the 2nd Gen Mazda RX7. There have also been some Porsche 944's.

ITA, the 1st Gen RX7, Honda CRX, Acura Integra, Nissan 240sx seem to be the most popular.

I know that there are a ton of parts for the RX7's but don't know many of the Alfa or Eclipse/Talon manufacturers. If you have a good source for them, go for it. Otherwise, I'd aim for one of the more popular cars, for parts, support, and guidance from other racers.

Just my $0.02 worth

Good Luck

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 GP Wabbit (Bent)
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

lateapex911
01-02-2004, 10:16 PM
Well, I'll leave it up to which you want to run, but here's what you have to beat.

In ITA, the hot rods are the CRX, the 240SX, and the Integra.

HP for the CRX is about 125, the Integra is a little more, and more torque. (At the wheels) Not sure on the 240, but they are no slouch.

That said, look up the weights, and do the math. If your car can't develop better power to weight numbers, you'll be hurting, as those cars aren't lacking in any other area.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Racerxxx
01-05-2004, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the input. I think I've ruled out the Alfa only because of parts being rather costly and a lack of suppliers. I'd love just to buy an Rx-7 or something, but these cars are just sitting in my driveway. I was hoping the Eclipse would have the same luck as the Neons, being they run the same powertrain.

cherokee
01-05-2004, 02:14 PM
You have to ask yourself what you want out of racing. There are quite a few people out there running "oddballs". If you have a love for the Alfa and just racing it is what you want to do thats one thing. If you want to run at the top, thats another. And you might change your mind when you get the car on the track...but you will still love that car. We are all different and like different things...otherwise there would not be pages of cars to race, from pretty new to it's that old already.

lateapex911
01-05-2004, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Racerxxx:
...... I'd love just to buy an Rx-7 or something, but these cars are just sitting in my driveway. I was hoping the Eclipse would have the same luck as the Neons, being they run the same powertrain.

I Gar-un-teeeee you you will be dollars ahead if you sell (even short) the things sitting in your driveway and buy a built car. Gar-un-tee! Unless you are looking to do the buildup, but it's the more expensive and time consuming way yo go by far.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]