PDA

View Full Version : Calling - 924Guy - Fuel Cell Installation?

jrmock
09-23-2003, 11:11 AM
Mr. V.S.

Did you install a fuel cell? If so, what pitfalls can you warn me about?

I'm getting ready to put one in a '83 944, and the more I think/plan/plot/ about it, the more involved it gets.

I've found a write up on other VW-GTI installations where they have had to add low pressure pump to pull fuel out the top, send to fuel filter, then aux/surge tank, then to original pump. Do you think the 944 stock fuel pump would need this kind of help? It currently pulls the fuel out the bottom of the tank, I don't know if it is capable of pulling the fuel up and out of the fuel cell.

Can you use the original 2" supply tube that comes down the rear pillar and still satisify the bulkhead seperating the fuel cell rule? Or...should I create/install a filler tube that goes thru the spare tire area out the back of the car?

I have plenty of questions...but I'll take a break right here.

JM http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

924Guy
09-23-2003, 03:03 PM
No, I still use the stock gas tank. I would definitely advise you use a surge tank though!!! GRM had a great write-up of this recently, on the Ro-Spit IIRC.

My interpretation of the "bulkhead separating" rule, WRT the stock tank, is that you would at very least need to maintain the integrity of the stock filler location, including the metal cover for the filler tube. The 924 had a plastic cover over the filler tube, and so I had to replace it with sheetmetal. However you may find it easier or necessary, with the height of a cell (unless custom-made for the 924/944), to have the cell protrude upwards above the trunk floor, necessitating a newly-fabricated enclosure. At that point it'd just be easier to have the standard hinged door arrangement accessible under the hatch. I've seen this done in plenty of 944 IT cars.

------------------
Vaughan Scott
Detroit Region #280052
'79 924 #77 ITA/GTS1
www.vaughanscott.com

jrmock
09-23-2003, 04:29 PM
I get Grass Roots Motosport mag, (GRM) but what is the "...Ro-Spit IIRC"? I'll have to comb thru the last several issues again, I must have missed it. Hope the article explains about the surge tank.

There were two cars in the 944 Cup at VIR that had fuel cells, one was HUGE, and had a lot of sheet metal work above the rear deck. The other was completely under the rear deck, and had some sheet metal covering the spare tire hole, but I forgot to find out how/where they filled it. I don't remember seeing a hinged door on the rear deck.

I'm still trying to contact them, but they are out in Virgina Beach, and they just had a little hurracane blow thru...

Thanks alot...
John http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

924Guy
09-24-2003, 09:03 AM
The Ro-Spit is a rotary-powered Spitfire, project car for a while.

------------------
Vaughan Scott
Detroit Region #280052
'79 924 #77 ITA/GTS1
www.vaughanscott.com