PDA

View Full Version : the next days weird car suggestion

airpiraterob
05-20-2003, 04:35 PM
anyone running an Alfa Milano? in ITS the 2.5 and 3.0 both have the same weight....2900 i think? never thought about it before but saw the new GRM and instantly thought about this. something that looks quite competitive to a BMW seems handicapped by the weight. however seems like it would at least get em in the turns easy.

eh_tony!!!
05-20-2003, 06:00 PM
Check out the thread ITB Alfa Romeos.. dated Nov 04, 2001

JeffYoung
05-20-2003, 09:46 PM
There's a silver one, 3.0 I think, in SEDiv. If you want to see it underwater, go to www.ncrscca.com (http://www.ncrscca.com) and go to the March Memories section of the Photos page. Cool car though. Fast on the straights. I think it won a race at Lowe's Motor Speedway recently. I also think it is for sale, if it is dried out.

JohnRW
05-20-2003, 11:29 PM
There was one running in NEDiv for a while - Nancy Thomas drove it. Got smacked by my ex-Volvo in the Bus Stop at WGI 2 years ago, don't know if it's been back since then. Great (but quirky) street car, it's probably in over it's head in ITS. The ITB cars were either GTV2000's (too valuable to run with the IT loons, but a candidate for the most beautiful Alfa ever built, IMO - I had a '74 GTV on the street for years) or Spiders (less valuable, but just as persnickety with Spica injection that only Wes Ingraham understands).

Nothing says "blown head gasket" like an Alfa.

lateapex911
05-21-2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by JohnRW:
Nothing says "blown head gasket" like an Alfa.

Heh heh...! I think the Peugot (sp?)505 had it down pretty well!

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

eh_tony!!!
05-21-2003, 11:33 AM
Whoa, I hadn't seen the VIR pics.. Didn't know the Milano was an amphibious vehicle.

Anyway, Jeff to your point.. Yes, the Alfa did win at Charlotte a few years ago. This is also a car that the Baucom's built and wn ITS handily at the hands of John Baucom. For those of you that don't know John, he is an immensly talented driver and car builder. He has won 3 nat'l championships and is now becoming successful in Trans-Am.

Anyway, the car is apparently quite capable of winning. I have heard some HP figures that make my ears bleed.

airpiraterob
05-21-2003, 05:03 PM
just what kinds of horsepower have you heard? adding the usual 20% nets 220+ at the crank, but messing with cold air and headers and all that....i wouldnt doubt that 220+ being found at the wheels either! im also wondering about that redline. its something like 6200 but in IT trim? i wonder what the weak part is.

Well from what i have gathered in the last few days, the milano of choice?: The Verda, has the 3.0 v6, 185 hp normally. Bosch L-jet and inboard brakes in the rear! hmm, might this be a giant killer in an annoying italians body?

JeffYoung
05-21-2003, 06:19 PM
Verdes are the way to go, but hard to find. I'm not sure more than 4 to 5,000 were brought to the states. I do think the silver Milano down here was a Verde, and it FLEW on the straights at Roebling when I was on track with it. Nice car. I think it certainly has the potential to run with the Bimmers.

eh_tony!!!
05-22-2003, 08:25 AM
No doubt, the 3 liter is the only car that can succeed. The silver one in the drink at VIR is such, as in the unfinished one at the shop. I haven't asked about the redline, but given that that same bottom end revs to an easy 7K in the 164 DOHC, and the fact that Alfa motors in general rev good, I would think 7-7,2 might be possible. Don't know if you'll still make power up there.

I think you're probably in the ballpark closer to 220 at the wheels. (as Jeff noticed, it won at Charlotte.. over 2 miles of straightaway)

One of the most interesting points to me is that the motor in the silver car is reported to be over 5 yrs old w/o a re-build..

The tough points (I have been told) are
1) torsion bars with a high enough rate (custom job)
2) getting air to the rear inboard brakes.

I really have the hankering to build one of these, but still haven't even had the time to get my 'B' Fiat out this year, so I guess it'll wait.

airpiraterob
05-22-2003, 01:47 PM
well im guessing about this but, the inboard rear brakes, theyre not enclosed in the wheel and any air currents under the car would certinly hit them (as well as whatever else that gets under the car) so it might not be as much of a problem. changing the pads at a 12/24 hour enduro would be interesting.

could be fun times busting out Jack the Bear on everyone.

aggarcia
05-27-2003, 11:24 PM
Currently running a Alfa GTV6 ( same chassis with coupe body and 2.5 motor ) in ITS and a Milano Verde in ITE ( an old IMSA IS car, way to modified to revert back to ITS ).
There were only 900 Verdes brought into the US, but the Milano was a good seller. THe V6 motors do not have any interchangeability with the 4 cylinders - these cars do not blow head gaskets.
The stock Verde was rev limited to 5800 for warranty purposes. In modified form 7400-7800 in reasonable. The 3.0 is a great motor with a fat torque curve. With basic IT mods 220 at the crank is reasonable.

Torsion bars are avaiable but not in the USA. The rear brakes do get hot, but it is not really that hard to duct some air. We run the GTV6 at TWS for 6 hours and at that time the brakes are only half worn. The rear brakes are not as much of an issue as you think.

I have toyed with building a Verde, but have not yet found the right car.

The ITE Verde in IMSA trim, blows by everyone down the straights. The Alfa 3.0 motor is very strong. If only they would let us run the 3.0 GTV6.

ANDREWG