PDA

View Full Version : volvo 142 newbie

troutski
04-17-2003, 12:26 AM
Hi,
Bought a 142 ITB car a few weeks ago. Looking for contacts to learn from about car set up, driving techinques, well...basically everything. I'm in Northern Calif.

A plea for help....

Thanks,
Mark Osborne

JohnRW
04-17-2003, 12:49 AM
Hopefully it's a 142e...a D-Jetronic car. If it's not...CONVERT IT TO D-JET (rules nerds cue to hyperventilate), 'cuz if you don't, it will be a slow, wheezing pig. As you're on the west coast...there are still probably some 142e's sitting in junque yards with D-Jet heads, computers, distributors and widgets (the "holy hand grenade" intake manifold sensor) on them. On the east coast, they've all be harvested by the ITB guys.

Volvo's from Hell - aka "BHP" - (610) 838 0361.

Bob only takes phone calls 1 day a week. No web site. No credit cards. No hand holding. No diaper changing. Road racing is a very solitary activity, and Bob will simply give you good training in that. He does not suffer fools.

But...nobody has ever made 142's go faster than Bob. NOBODY. Accept no imitations.

troutski
04-17-2003, 12:56 AM
'Tis indeed an "E" I have lots of D-Jet experience as my Daily driver is an 1800ES....now with 2 X 45 DCOE's...
THe 142 was a competitive car when built, not run for a while. Have bhp's "ahem" catalog. What works/what doesn't?

Thanks,
Mark

tderonne
04-17-2003, 09:35 AM
From what I hear, you need a cam from BHP. Your stock cam must be really worn out by now.

JohnRW
04-17-2003, 12:00 PM
As you noted, BHP doesn't waste time or money on glossy catalog crap or marketing. You probably have a single sheet of paper, type-written.

What was "competitive" when the car was built may be "hopelessly outclassed" today. IT has come a long way from it's beginning.

You want the BHP B-20 "D" cam . It's correctly profiled, and protest-tested. You also want whatever Bob is recommending for valve springs, as a stock Volvo spring won't last a weekend at 7000+rpm. Also discuss valves. Stock Volvo valves used to behead themselves. There was a Datsun/Nissan valve of the proper head diameter/length/stem size that was a one-piece job...less likely to fall apart at a bazillion rpm. Ask Bob.

Header & Exhaust megaphone. Then invest in earplugs. My 142 was the LOUDEST freakin race car I've ever owned. Mind-bendingly loud.

Shocks, springs, adjustable F & R swaybars, adjustable Panhard mounts, Front LCA bushings. All very important. The BHP rear shock/swaybar mounting arrangement is the best example of "read the rulebook, interpret it literally, endure protests, piss-off the competition" that I've seen. You're not going to arrive at this combination yourself, regardless of how smart you think you are. Reinvent the wheel at your own risk (both time & money).

Bob used to sell Tru-Trac diffs. You'll need something other than stock or you'll be spinning your wheels, literally as well as figuratively. I never used his puck-style clutch driven disk, but know lots of people who did.

Very interesting guy. Very quirky, too. You've got to visit his shop to appreciate him fully.

[This message has been edited by JohnRW (edited April 17, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by JohnRW (edited April 17, 2003).]

lateapex911
04-17-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by JohnRW:
You also want whatever Bob is recommending for valve springs, as a stock Volvo spring won't last a weekend at 7000+rpm. Also discuss valves. Stock Volvo valves used to behead themselves. There was a Datsun/Nissan valve of the proper head diameter/length/stem size that was a one-piece job...less likely to fall apart at a bazillion rpm. Ask Bob.

Forgive my ignorance, as I'm a rotary guy....we can't do anything! So I don't know the piston rules as well as others. Where does it say that valve springs and valves are free?

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

tschwenke
04-17-2003, 03:56 PM
I don't know where the papers are, but I am sure some of the VVfH have them, but as far as the springs go they have a stock replacement approved part (from my understanding). Just this part is much better part. I don't know about the valves though, seems since they don't have a replacemnt for the rods they wouldn't have one yet for the valves.

I have some incar from a friend that has Rotem passing us on the start at Mid-Ohio, it might have been loud, but it was a beautiful sound.. (just speaking on the terms of the noise you mention)

troutski
04-18-2003, 12:27 AM
Thanks John!

JohnRW
04-18-2003, 08:27 AM
Jake -

You're correct the parts aren't open, but there were/are (?) identical substitute parts, some available thru the dealer network, with metallurgy later than the middle-ages, that will last longer. And, of course, there are those internal replacement parts that are physically identical (size, weight, shape, profile, etc.) and not marked with manufacturer's codes, so the point becomes: "maybe we can't prove that they aren't legal, but we sure as hell can't prove that they are illegal"
(rules nerds are having seizures now). A subtle difference, for sure.

rsportvolvo
04-30-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by JohnRW:
Jake -

You're correct the parts aren't open, but there were/are (?) identical substitute parts, some available thru the dealer network, with metallurgy later than the middle-ages, that will last longer. And, of course, there are those internal replacement parts that are physically identical (size, weight, shape, profile, etc.) and not marked with manufacturer's codes, so the point becomes: "maybe we can't prove that they aren't legal, but we sure as hell can't prove that they are illegal"
(rules nerds are having seizures now). A subtle difference, for sure.

John,

Please email me @ [email protected]. I have a few in depth questions about the B20 bottom end in IT trim.

Also does anyone have Sam Moore's email address/phone number?

------------------
David Russell
'80 ITB Volvo 242 under construction
[email protected]