PDA

View Full Version : today's weird car suggestion...

airpiraterob
04-19-2003, 02:38 PM
ahem, i thought i would bring up one of those cars you don;t hear too much about, and see if anyone runs one or has tried to calssify it.

thoughts and opinions on the Lancia Scorpion?
(or AKA: montecarlo)issues? considerations? etc?

looks fun. actuality of this may be an issue.

JeffYoung
04-19-2003, 02:42 PM
There is actually one of these running in SeDiv, North Carolina region. I think it is in GT-2 or 3, I can't remember which. Car is yellow and, frankly, often doesn't run. Great looking car though, and sounds good. I think the guy who owns it fabbed the body panels himself, etc. -- really into the cars. I'll try to dig up his name. I'm sure he'd love to help someone else with a passion for the car

airpiraterob
04-19-2003, 02:46 PM
i just recalled how rare it is. somethin g like 1800 scorpions made. i guess parts could be an issue. specially panels and what not. but i thought "here's a mid-engined mini-ferrari...1.8 carbbed and handles well, this would be a fun IT wouldnt it? near 1.6 wheelbase(90") to track ratio," but keeping it on the track with such low production....? im guessing ITB but mabye ITA if the handling is good enough? found one in parts for sale in MA for $500. nice year long project. would look extremely cool too with a deep airdam and all those martini stripes. heh....ima dreamer for a bit longer now..

[This message has been edited by airpiraterob (edited April 19, 2003).]

JeffYoung
04-19-2003, 04:34 PM
Check the results page for March 22-23 at www.ncrscca.com (http://www.ncrscca.com). It's actually in FP, and I believe the driver's name is Tom Pate.

Parts. Aren't the mechnicals essentially the same as an X1/9?? Or am I wrong about that? I'm sure that motor went into something else; if not the X1/9, maybe the Betas.

I would guess ITA as well -- somewhat similar specs to a MR2, although I could see it in B with the TR7s.

By the way, fellow dreamer here. I run a TR8 in ITS. About 2700 of those made. But, motor is easy to get parts for (went in Land Rovers for years) and body/suspension is essentially TR7.

airpiraterob
04-19-2003, 07:16 PM
yeah i think so. today being saturday ive been searching for specs and all that. carfolio.com is really good. anyway, what i can get is 1.8liter, 2valve twincam. 2370#'s and 13"wheels. youre right, same parts from the x1/9. used is an 1800 engine with a single twin throat carb of 35mm. im not sure on the rules of carb swapping and what can be allowed. european scorpions had the 2.0 120hp motor. recommended is a 40mm+ size weber. it's in fact a derivitave of the x1/9 but they decided to sell it under the lancia name.

so perhaps a 2100# weight and would they allow 14" or 15"? sweet lookin on 15". all kinds of those parts are raided from the fiat parts bin, but the other things like ball joints and suspension bits would cost a bundle. easy to mess with the suspension tho, performacne shocks are cheap. (same as VW fit) its just the arms and balljoints that eat your money.

the exhaust is quite restrictive and responds very well to headers. quite revvy motor. but low on power (89hp stock) cause of the 89hp number, i would guess it to be ITB. this thing is carbbed tho. so youre usual 15-20% and 2100# might get you 105hp and 20:1 power to weight? who knows. still not enough to get close to a 142e flying brick. i hope someone responds with a better classing estimate. anyone have last years rulebook they dont want anymore? im not in a situation yet to join and really get on to the track....utb i can still dream. 2 or 3 years from now is my goal. was gonna be next year but its fashionable to be an unemployed pilot lately.

[This message has been edited by airpiraterob (edited April 19, 2003).]

Bill Miller
04-19-2003, 09:26 PM
I always liked these cars. Cool looks and probably good handling. Unfortunately, notorious Italian car issues.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
SCCA 279608

Prince Makaha
04-20-2003, 10:18 AM
Didn't the scorpion once hold the braking record at car and driver for production cars?

airpiraterob
04-20-2003, 01:44 PM
braking or breaking? http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

i'm finding out alot about the fiat type engines. they really wake up when you let it breathe out....could be some really good power there once you strip the old emissions. starting to sound more and more fun. if the ride height limit is still 4 inches at the rockers....this thing can drop 3+ inches. visual comparison only tho. anyone know the geometry? bump steer?

[This message has been edited by airpiraterob (edited April 20, 2003).]

JeffYoung
04-20-2003, 09:27 PM
Rob, check out:

http://www.lanciamontecarlo.net/

Lots of good info there. Those Martini-Rossi cars are sweet.

ITANorm
04-20-2003, 11:44 PM
I seem to recall the Beta Coupe was at one time classed in ITB. With the better handling and lighter weight, and the same 1.8L twin-cam, I'd guess ITA for the Scorpion - if you can get it classed.

cherokee
04-21-2003, 05:43 PM
My flight instructor had one...it was cool...the parts are not as hard to find as you might think...mostly Fiat. Us weird car guys have to stick together...I am building an Opel GT ITB.

airpiraterob
04-22-2003, 12:46 AM
cherokee,

flight instructor? do you fly for fun or a living?....KC eh? i went to school near there (9K4) if you'd email me please
[email protected]
im trying to find out what the flying scene is there lately. (thats why i dont have a car to race...im not flying right now)

[This message has been edited by airpiraterob (edited April 22, 2003).]

eh_tony!!!
04-22-2003, 05:29 AM
Good call. Jeff.. the driver is acutally Tim Pate, out of Charlotte. The car runs (sometimes) but could be fast.. As I understand it, the tranny is X-19, suspension I think is also X-19. Brakes are wither X-19 or 124 (my 124 pads work on Tim's calipers, but they may also cross to the X-19). The limiting issue here is going to be the 1800 motor. It is essentially a Fiat spider 1800, which means definately ITB. It could be a really good handling car, but I don't think you'll make enough power from the 1800 to keep up with the Volvo/BMW crowd. (although "Sterling" might argue with me). Now, if the car could have a 2liter, it could be the king of the class. (until the bone yards are stripped of body panels)

airpiraterob
04-22-2003, 08:04 PM
well. the good thing is the montecarlo (eu) is the same car and was made for a good while. i guess im masochistic in my aproach suggesting to 'import' the panels and model common parts. Just what emission equipment can legally be stripped off this thing? its 82hp but without the ancient smog equip...105 perhaps? then the IT improvement?

hmmm..