PDA

View Full Version : Volvo 142 fuel injection question

evanwebb
04-07-2003, 12:12 PM
Hi, I have a soon-to-be 1973 Volvo 142 ITB car that has a problem idling. It idles very high (like 2500 RPM), and the idle adjustments have no effect. Even with the throttle body intake completely blocked off the car still idles at over 2000 RPM (so it doesn't seem to be the aux air regulator). We discovered that the car is running on air being drawn through the PCV system; if we block off the hose coming from the valve cover then the engine dies. Any ideas on what to do? I don't know if the fitting on the aluminum intake manifold that the hose from the valve cover is the right size, or if there is supposed to be some kind of restrictor in there, but seems like a helluva lot of air to be blowing through the crankcase...

LOBSTA1
04-07-2003, 09:05 PM
Evan, sounds like u have more than 1 problem, #1 if u cover up the air intake does the car run or die? if it runs u are right u are getting wrong air flow threw the pcv valve and or a major other vac leak. Do u hear any whistling sounds? #2 than ck all your vac and pvc line with a diaghram good luck Glenn

sfrvolvo
04-08-2003, 01:11 AM
I would look at the fittings on the manifold.
The correct pcv fitting on the manifold has a very small metering orifice. The brake booster fitting on the manifold has a large
maybe 3/8" opening. If they are swapped then that could be your problem, Anyhow the pcv opening to the manifold should be less than
1/8". Hope this helps..
Mike Saccone