PDA

View Full Version : CRX Fuel Filler Neck Question

MarkosMotorsports
05-09-2005, 11:34 AM
On a CRX the fuel filler neck is exposed to the drivers compartment. According to SCCA rules must this fuel filler neck be enclosed in a metal "firewall"?

Greg Amy
05-09-2005, 11:39 AM
Correct.

Case in point: the Spec Miatas have the filler neck in the trunk area. When the seatbelts and back interior trim is removed the trunk is exposed to the cockpit area. SCCA is requiring all SMs to "seal" this area and isolate it from the driver. The point is to minimize the possibility of fuel splashing in the cockpit and the driver becoming flambe (a la Dale Jr last summer).

As a general rule-of-thumb, we're using the "flashlight test" to check Speccers: one tech guy gets in the trunk with a flashlight and shines it around, another tech guy gets in the cockpit and looks for light leakage. No leakage? You're golden.

tom91ita
05-09-2005, 03:44 PM
i asked the same thing earlier. search under "tom91ita" and look at exposed vs. visible.

i took my car to annual tech and it passed without any fuss. i will likely take some piece of sheet metal or aluminum and still box it in and pop-rivet to save future grief of potential questions though.

tom

charrbq
05-15-2005, 06:51 PM
This is one of the many ambigiuous (sp) rules in the ITCS. They came out saying that the inner body panels could be removed. That exposed the fuel pipe. Then they said you had to cover it up with either metal or the stock interior panel. Fortunately, I hadn't thrown it away. It was okay to run up and down the road in 1984-'87, so I guess it's just as safe to race with. That being true, I should also be allowed to run the stock seat belts.

------------------
Chris Harris
ITC Honda Civic