PDA

View Full Version : tow hook locations

dspillrat
04-20-2005, 06:57 AM
Looking for opinions concerning acceptable tow hook locations...
Not having anything real solid to mount tow hooks to up front in the early 240z, I'm considering mounting a tow hook for the front just ahead of the cowl area... my interpretation of the rule,FWIW, it appears we have a good deal of latitude in this area.
David

jc836
04-20-2005, 07:13 AM
Take a close look at where the radiator core support is. You really want to be fairly low on the car. You can fabriate something that will bolt to one of the bumper mounting points as well. There ae several threads showing interesting ways to do this on the WEB. We elected to use a strap from Safe Quip for the front and may do the same in the rear of our CRX.

------------------
Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'99 Prelude=a sweet song-FOR SALE
'03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow

Knestis
04-20-2005, 07:32 AM
Gravel traps are a horrible idea for a nunber of reasons but picture one boat towing another by a rope up by the windshield.

<insert sumbmarine dive klaxon here>

You want it to pull the nose up when they try to extract you from the kitty litter.

K

x-ring
04-20-2005, 08:50 AM
Dave, mine are rings cut from old springs welded to a 1/8" x 1" x ~14" strip of steel that runs under the bumper, through the air dam, and back along the outside of the right frame rail.

I've come in on the hook three or four times since I started this madness, and the location and installation seem to work well.

------------------
Ty Till
#16 ITS
Rocky Mountain Division

dspillrat
04-20-2005, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Knestis:

<insert sumbmarine dive klaxon here>

You want it to pull the nose up when they try to extract you from the kitty litter.

K

Is there a limit to placement of tow hooks?.... re-enforcements are allowed to provide strength..for tow hooks....Is there a limit to number of tow hooks? and their associated re-enforcements...

david

rcr510
05-02-2005, 01:49 PM
I have an old 510, I fabbed some out of 1/4" plate and bolted them on with the front bumper mounts like jc836 said. May be overkill but I use them to tie down to the trailer as well.

M

ddewhurst
05-02-2005, 07:44 PM
Steerling just posted on the Production site a great use for your past date seat belts.

Bet-cha can figure out their use.

Have Fun http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif
David