PDA

View Full Version : Firefox AFFF or FE36

jc836
04-28-2005, 10:44 AM
We visited the Firefox Industries factory on Tuesday and came away with a very positive feeling about their products. It does not hurt that they are located a few miles away and are professional race team suppliers. In fact their focus is strictly motor racing. The company began with NHRA support and has diversified to cover virtually every kind of car racing today. (www.firefoxind.com) Yes, this is the brand I will be putting in the car. The packaging is proprietary and patented. The agent is put in a bladder which is under pressure inside the cylinder-a very good idea since orientation of the car has no effect on discharge rate. The planned system is 2.25 litres or 5 pounds and is SFI certified. BTW: we intend to retain the 2.5lb 'Purple K' handheld in the car.

The question here is one that deals both with nozzles and the extinguishing agent. Given that Halon is more toxic than foam or FE36, which of the latter 2 do you prefer for use in a closed car, such as a CRX. Second, given that SCCA requires nozzles in specific locations how would you plumb a system. Firefox recommends, based on its testing and that of the NHRA etc, that the focus should be to have both nozzles in the engine bay. To flood the driver's compartment is not the best solution since 90%+ of all fires begin on the engine side of the firewall. Then again we do have a rule that requires something for the driver. What are your opinions? I know that we have at least 1 PE here and his view is most welcome.

------------------
Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'99 Prelude=a sweet song-FOR SALE
'03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow

DavidM
04-29-2005, 01:37 PM
I'd be curious on people's opinions as well. I did as much research as I could (including reading a couple threads here) before installing my fire system, but never really came up with anything conclusive. As usual, there seem to be different theories. I went with the point the nozzles at the possible fire source theory. So I have one going through the firewall pointed at the intake side of the engine, one pointed up under the dash, and one in the back pointed at the fuel cell.

I went with a 10 lb FE36 system, but Halon systems seem to be the most popular. I can tell you that every ALMS car I looked at (which was just about all of them) during the pit walk at Road Atlanta had a SpA Techniqe system (I think it's AFFF). I don't know if that's mandated by the rules or not, but they all had the same system.

David