PDA

View Full Version : Air intake heat shields

gran racing
01-03-2005, 09:18 PM
I've looked around the paddock at quite a few cars that have fabricated air intake heat shields. I looked through the GCR and can not determine if this is something I can legally do. (I ask because I would like to do it as well.)

Any thoughts about its legality?

------------------
Dave Gran
NER ITB #13
'87 Honda Prelude si

racer14itc
01-03-2005, 09:35 PM
Make it part of your "exhaust system" as those are free. Weld some tabs to the header and bolt your heat shield to those and you're legal. IMHO.

MC

------------------
Mark Coffin
#14 GP BSI Racing/Airborn Coatings/Krispy Kreme/Tristram's Garage VW Scirocco
http://pages.prodigy.net/Scirocco14gp

Geo
01-03-2005, 10:53 PM
Or attach it to your intake.

The intake before the air metering device is free so long as the source of air is under the hood or the stock location.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX
84 944 ITS car under construction
92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
http://www.nissport.com

ITSRX7
01-04-2005, 01:17 AM
George is right, it is easy to attach to the neck of the filter outlet.

Dave, bring that thing by our shop, we will help you design something. I need to get some sheet aluminum anyway to 'seal' up all 4 of our Miata bulkheads.

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
Spec Miata 1.6 (ITA project)
New England Region R188967
www.flatout-motorsports.com (http://www.flatout-motorsports.com)

[This message has been edited by ITSRX7 (edited January 04, 2005).]

Grumpa
01-04-2005, 02:34 AM
George/Andy,
I have a '79 ITC Rabbit with Bosch CIS injection. The factory air inlet is behind the radiator, so in an effort to get cooler ambient air I fabricated a "snorkel" tube out of 2" PVC that extends the inlet below the horizontal radiator mounting panel. The "snorkel" extends into a cold air box that is mounted below the radiator's horizontal level. The cold air box does not source air from the air dam on front of the car, air is from the low pressure area behind the dam. The way I read the rules, this setup is legal. Is my interpretation correct? Also, is a splitter legal? I am wanting to do some work on the air dam and I haven't seen splitters come up on any strings.

Jim Sexton
ITC Rabbit
CenDiv

ITANorm
01-04-2005, 05:53 AM
Jim,

I'm not George or Andy, but . . .

If the air box extends forward of the plane of the radiator, I'd say it's illegal. Splitters, per se, are not illegal - but they must fully conform to all the rules that apply to spoilers as far as clearance and location in relation to body components.

ITSRX7
01-04-2005, 10:07 AM
Jim,

As Norm eluded to, this is a grey area. You must draw air from inside the engine bay per the rules. Run with that how you want. Read the rules carefully.

As far as the splitter, there are specific guidlines in the GCR for legality.

AB

racer-025
01-04-2005, 03:37 PM
....but the CRX Si has 2 air inlet tubes. The long one extends along the upper radiator and enters past the rad cap picking up the warm air. The short one goes down thru a hole in front of the wheel and picks up the underside cooler air. So, as I read it the air inlet does not have to be inside the engine bay ("except stock location") in this case. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But I would like to know if I can have the air filter at this location too.

Gregg
01-04-2005, 05:31 PM
Oh uh...here we go again with the intake tract of the CRX/EF Civic. <shudder>

What is on the other side of that hole in front of the wheel does not pick up "underside cooler air." It leads to a resonator box that effectively increases the volume of the air box (and makes the street car quieter). It is a closed system with the only inlet being inside the engine bay along the top of the radiator as you described.

------------------
Gregg Ginsberg
http://www.ginsberg.org
'89 CRX Si -- MARRS ITA / ECHC H4 #72
WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003

Jeremy Billiel
01-04-2005, 10:49 PM
The intake rules always seems to be a hot topic... I am still building my car and when I was researching what people are running last year (NorthEast - LimeRock) I saw a TON of cars using what I thought were illegal intakes. I saw intakes that had 3" brake ducts running air to the filter (very illegal), I saw comptech ice box setups (questionable) and others that fall in the grey area. Is the Northeast perhaps more leniant than other regions?

apr67
01-04-2005, 10:55 PM
What keeps you from having a radiator with a 8" x 8" hole in it, and having your air intake right behind that hole?

[This message has been edited by apr67 (edited January 04, 2005).]

RSTPerformance
01-05-2005, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Jeremy Billiel:
I saw a TON of cars using what I thought were illegal intakes. I saw intakes that had 3" brake ducts running air to the filter (very illegal),

Why is this illegal? If it is on front of the air metering device and it doesn't leave the engine bay you cna do whatever you like. Why can't you use a ten inch tube if one will fit?

Stephen.... I have 2 three inch brake duct hoses!

I was going to ask someone but knowone has an answer. The only way to get an answer is to protest yourself and spend a shitload of money.

ITSRX7
01-05-2005, 12:24 AM
VERY protestable. The air source must come from within the engine bay. If you are ducting air into the engine bay at or toward the intake, you are walking a THIN line - and frankly, your intent is to break the rule.

Where does it say you can run ducting into the engine bay at all? Ducting is specifically called out for brakes...

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
Spec Miata 1.6 (ITA project)
New England Region R188967
www.flatout-motorsports.com (http://www.flatout-motorsports.com)

Geo
01-05-2005, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by apr67:
What keeps you from having a radiator with a 8" x 8" hole in it, and having your air intake right behind that hole?

Knock yourself out.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX

RSTPerformance
01-05-2005, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by ITSRX7:
VERY protestable. The air source must come from within the engine bay. If you are ducting air into the engine bay at or toward the intake, you are walking a THIN line - and frankly, your intent is to break the rule.

Where does it say you can run ducting into the engine bay at all? Ducting is specifically called out for brakes...

AB

I was thinking that when he refered to brake ducting he was refering to the actual ducting (Like a Dryer vent hose) not holes in the front of the car taking air from outside the engine bay. (edit) That is why above I said as long as the ducting doesn't leave the engine bay. (Edit)

I think you are agreeing that if you use brake ducting (the Hose) inside the engine bay and if and only if it dosn't leave the engine bay then it is legal. (the air source comes from within the engine bay the ducting just gets it form a cooler source like behind the headlights for example instead of off the header)

Correct?

[This message has been edited by RSTPerformance (edited January 05, 2005).]

lateapex911
01-05-2005, 03:57 AM
Definitions are key here. It's not what you think the rule should say, but what the definitions of the words in the rule are.

You have a tube. It has an opening. Define the source, as it relates to the tube.

You have a volume. Lets say it is a box with six sides, to be simple. Define "within".

Source of air. Is the source in front of the car? Down the straightaway? A mile west in the prevailing breeze? The rule must define the answer, as the judgement is way too open otherwise.

I think the rule has defined what we can do, and as Geo says, "If it says you can, you bloody well can" (regardless of the supposed 'intent')

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

dickita15
01-05-2005, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by apr67:

itcs 17.1.4.4.3.a
... No new openings created by fitting an alternate radiator may be used for the purpose of ducting air to the engine.

Bill Miller
01-05-2005, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by dickita15:
itcs 17.1.4.4.3.a
... No new openings created by fitting an alternate radiator may be used for the purpose of ducting air to the engine.

Dick,

While I appreciate what you mean, I think that refers to any new openings in the bodywork. I certainly don't think the 'hole in the radiator' idea will work, but I don't see how it violates the rule that you cited.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

Jeremy Billiel
01-05-2005, 08:50 AM
"Why is this illegal? If it is on front of the air metering device and it doesn't leave the engine bay you cna do whatever you like. Why can't you use a ten inch tube if one will fit?"

Here is another interesting question. When I look at this rule, what happens if you car does not have a meetering device in the intake. For example: Honda/Acura's do not use mass airflow sensors in the piping. I believe they use a map sensor instead, but its in the TB. Does this mean my intake is open to do whatever I want?

------------------
Coming Soon: 1995 ITS Acura Integra

downingracing
01-05-2005, 04:13 PM
I've got a 94 Civic EX (now an ITA car!). I run a short ram intake. (legal since the end of it is within the engine bay) I also have ducting running from the bottom of the car up to the existing hole into the engine bay.

Loose quotes from the GCR: Intakes are 'free' before the metering device. The air pickup location must be in the stock location.

These two sentences are each a rule. You must source air from the original location. You can do anything you want before the metering device. No additional holes can be created to funnel air to the location, but existing holes are OK.

just my 2¢

------------------
Matt Downing
ITS Honda Civic EX (soon to be ITA!)
Ohio Valley Region, SCCA
www.downingracing.com (http://www.downingracing.com)

dickita15
01-05-2005, 05:46 PM
bill
i had been thinking about useing a narrower radiator and the ducting the resulting gap back to the carb. then they added the above sighted rule, I believe making that illegal.
I was going to fit an alternate radiator and use the resulting hole to duct air. how is that different for the case apr67 sights
dick patullo

Knestis
01-05-2005, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by downingracing:
I've got a 94 Civic EX (now an ITA car!). I run a short ram intake. ... I also have ducting running from the bottom of the car up to the existing hole into the engine bay.

I don't know, Matt - if the ductin and that short ram aren't connected, then I don't think you can use the "everything in front of the metering device" allowance. Maybe they are all one unit and I'm misunderstanding.

K

PS - I'm really thrilled that you finally get to be an ITA car!

Geo
01-05-2005, 10:59 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">I think the rule has defined what we can do, and as Geo says, \"If it says you can, you bloody well can\" (regardless of the supposed 'intent')</font>[/b]

Attaboy Jake!

You tell 'em! http://forum.e46fanatics.com/images/smilies/thumb.gif

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX

ShelbyRacer
01-05-2005, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Jeremy Billiel:

Here is another interesting question. When I look at this rule, what happens if you car does not have a meetering device in the intake. For example: Honda/Acura's do not use mass airflow sensors in the piping. I believe they use a map sensor instead, but its in the TB. Does this mean my intake is open to do whatever I want?

You look at the REST of the rule that says if you don't have a "metering device", you can substitute what's in front of the TB (or at least, I think that's what it says- It's a *_VERY_* poorly written sentence).

It says you can, so you... well, you know http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

------------------
Matt Green
"Ain't nothin' improved about Improved Touring..."

gran racing
01-06-2005, 10:09 AM
I'm really curious about the ducting from the engine bay to the air intake area. I'm still am not totally sure if that would be legal (as Ray or Stephen discussed in the other topic). If it is, I too would like do this.

Ray or Stephen, just curious. Do you just have a hose hanging down picking up the air? I would imagine some type of scoop would be pushing things but just giving some more thought to it.

My next question is how much do you think is gained by running a hose to the air intake area? If it is really minimal, it doesn't seem like it would be worth having to worry about inspectors giving me a hard time about it. I'd hate to get protested about something as silly as a ducting hose.

------------------
Dave Gran
NER ITB #13
'87 Honda Prelude si

downingracing
01-06-2005, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Knestis:
I don't know, Matt - if the ductin and that short ram aren't connected, then I don't think you can use the "everything in front of the metering device" allowance. Maybe they are all one unit and I'm misunderstanding.

K

PS - I'm really thrilled that you finally get to be an ITA car!

Kirk,

I can't wait for ITA! It should be a BLAST!

As far as the ducting of air, the original configuration used a hose thru that opening to the resonator box for extra volume. The system didn't source air from outside the engine compartment, but it did exit the engine compartment. I do believe in the great phrase: IDSYCYC. And it says you can. By allowing your intake to be 'free'. (As long as no other rules are broken, like cutting holes for ducting, I don't see any issue with it. My Tech. guy didn't have an issue with it either...)

If someone would like to protest me, I'd be happy to appeal (if necessary) to get a clarification from Topeka. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/tongue.gif

------------------
Matt Downing
ITS Honda Civic EX (soon to be ITA!)
Ohio Valley Region, SCCA
www.downingracing.com (http://www.downingracing.com)

Campbell
01-08-2005, 05:16 PM
Time for a dumb question, what is a splitter? what does it do? thanks

lateapex911
01-08-2005, 06:20 PM
Essentially, it is a "shelf" that projects out from the bottom of an airdam. Often it is attached,and therefor integral with the airdam.

In general, the result is that it increases the effective downforce of the airdam, by decreasing the amount of air spilling under the car, and therefore decreases parasitic drag of the undercarriage, which is an unseen, but major factor in the overall drag picture.

In IT, any splitter is fine, as long as it is part of the airdam, and abides by the airdam requirements for height and projection from the cars body. As such, most IT splitters use airdams that are somewhat recessed from the absolute leading edge of the car, to increase the splitters effect.

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Eagle7
01-08-2005, 09:26 PM
Splitters can also increase the airflow into the cooling system - important for some cars.

------------------
Marty Doane
ITS RX-7 #13
CenDiv WMR

Geo
01-08-2005, 11:35 PM
If you want an excellent explanation that is technically correct, includes some technical info, but doesn't overwhelm even my little monkey brain, get your hands on the November 2004 issue of Racecar Engineering. There is an article about a CFD (computational fluid dynamics) study by Advantage CFD (owned by the BAR F1 team). It's a great article. It even had good pictures that illustrate what is going on quite well.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX

RSTPerformance
01-09-2005, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by gran racing:

Ray or Stephen, just curious. Do you just have a hose hanging down picking up the air? I would imagine some type of scoop would be pushing things but just giving some more thought to it.

My next question is how much do you think is gained by running a hose to the air intake area? If it is really minimal, it doesn't seem like it would be worth having to worry about inspectors giving me a hard time about it. I'd hate to get protested about something as silly as a ducting hose.

Question #1:
Our airbox is designed with 2 hoses entering it from the bottom. 1 hose goes through a hole in the fender that is aproximatly 2 inches in diameter behind the bumper cover. the other one ends near the header. I took the hose that goes to the fender and made it larger.... about 3 inches I think. I only made it larger where the flexible hose was NOT the plastic piece that goes through the fender. I left the plastic peice stock, the fender stock and I added nothing outside the fender. The only reason it is larger is because I needed to replace the hose and I purchased dryer vent hose. (Cheap) The second hose simply goes up and into the void (or area) behind the headlight. It is not butted up to the headlight nor is it butted up to any grills. It simply sits attached by a bracket in the open in the middle of the engine bay. the only reason I did this was to stay away form the hot air on the header. Nothing has scoops of any type to get more air it's jsut dead end hoses.

From my interpretation it is completly legal. The first hose is essentially stock and gets air from the stock location the second hose is legal becasue it doesn't leave the engine bay, it doesn't "get air" from outside the engine bay (so it's not ram air). You said... "I'd hate to get protested about something as silly as a ducting hose." Me too but you'll never get a straight answer! I see nothing wrong with this but again it's my interpretation.. now you see why I was frustrated when I inquired about it and got no answer since nowone has any clue on what the rules actually are nor the authority to explain them.

Question #2: Does it help.
I doubt it. I doubt that it does anything. I only did it because it was easy, cheaper than stock replacement stuff that isn't made anymore, and people spend money on air intakes claiming they make the car better so I figured I would do something that looks like I am trying http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif It makes me feel like I have a faster car. And besides it's nice to dream that all those little insignificant things make my car "super fast" but then again that's all dreams and in reality I don't think it does anything.

I have no evidence of anything because I will never pay money to use a Dino. It's a waist of money, At least in my mind... I would rather race in another race than have a chart that says I have this much tourqe and HP. If I know than I am either going to get depressed when I loose or get this need for more HP and the lack of HP will be an excuse for loosing!

Hope this clarifies everything for you.

Stephen

gran racing
01-10-2005, 04:23 PM
Just trying to get some inexpensive ideas for my car. Did you use the dryer duct hosing for your brakes? Or is it necessary to purchase the more expensive "brake ducting"?

Thanks.

------------------
Dave Gran
NER ITB #13
'87 Honda Prelude si

ddewhurst
01-10-2005, 08:50 PM
Stephen, within your post second above the stuff your talking about is GOOD head food. If the head feels GOOD you'll be faster.

BUT, IMHJ the Dyno tuned motor relative to air qualitys is a BEST base line to track tune knowing the air qualitys. The Dyno takes out the varaibles of being on the track. For example racing in the CenDiv in the hot humid summer (95* with moistuer haning in the air) is one thing & racing in the CenDiv in the fall (45* with zip moisture) is quite another thing.

Now for some personal head food for me. Has anyone viewed a induction tube/system (AEM, K&N filters with proven addvantages) like the ricers use on their newer cars for a 4 barrel Niki on a 1st gen RX-7 12A ?

Have Fun http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif
David

gran racing
01-10-2005, 09:34 PM
Ah yes, I totally agree (as I'm re-reading speed secrets 1 & 2 which goes into this topic).

David - if it's head food then I've heard the one on your car is the best on out on the market. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

------------------
Dave Gran
NER ITB #13
'87 Honda Prelude si

Bildon
01-13-2005, 11:11 AM
>> Question #2: Does it help. I doubt it. I doubt that it does anything.

>> Has anyone viewed a induction tube/system (AEM, K&N filters with proven addvantages) like the ricers use

You guys NEED to get to a dyno. All this guessing is really a waste of time.

We noticed intake temps on our stock airbox were increasing up to 15 degrees after a few dyno runs. The stock airbox while flowing rather well was getting heak soaked after a while. It would cool down rather quickly but when pulling air through it at 6000-7000 RPMs for "long pulls" the box became noticably HOT to the touch.

http://www.bildon.com/racing/images/media/.../DynoDay001.wmv (http://www.bildon.com/racing/images/media/DynoDay001.wmv)

We took a Honda cold air intake system and cut it to fit our Corrado. Temps dropped drastically and stayed down. Intake air velocity also improved.

Result?
5 real, consistently measurable HP.

Get a smooth intake tube with the largest low restriction filter you can fit and then build an insulated airbox around it. The more volume in the box thes less heat soak will affect it during long pulls. Find a legal way to duct cool air to the box.

------------------
Bill Sulouff - Bildon Motorsport (http://www.bildon.com)
Volkswagen Racing Equipment
## 2003 ITB NYSRRC Champs ##

ddewhurst
01-13-2005, 04:44 PM
***Get a smooth intake tube with the largest low restriction filter you can fit and then build an insulated airbox around it. The more volume in the box thes less heat soak will affect it during long pulls. Find a legal way to duct cool air to the box.***

Bill, I have an understanding of what you say. My question about induction tube/system like the ricers (& others) use is asked because I have not viewed any Regional or National 1st gen RX-7 12A Niki carbed racers using induction tubes. To your thought process or knowledge is there an advantage or disadvantage using a tube with a 4 barrel Niki? & neither AEM or K&N has anything tested for the 1st gen RX-7.

Your site would not open for me. (Edit: After posting this message I tried a second time & your site opened.)

Have Fun http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif
David

[This message has been edited by ddewhurst (edited January 13, 2005).]

racer-025
01-17-2005, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Gregg:
What is on the other side of that hole in front of the wheel does not pick up "underside cooler air." It leads to a resonator box that effectively increases the volume of the air box (and makes the street car quieter). It is a closed system with the only inlet being inside the engine bay along the top of the radiator as you described.

I need to clarify. If the "air intake" is free to modify then I can remove the air resonator thus leaving an open air intake pipe that is exterior of the engine bay. So, the stock system "does" have an air intake pipe exterior of the engine bay. Then I can install a piece of cheese cloth over that end of the pipe can't I?

And if so, the cheese cloth is in fact an air filter. So, if I can install a cheese cloth air filter on the end of this pipe, then why can I install a K&N air filter to this pipe?

Gregg
01-17-2005, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by racer-025:
So, if I can install a cheese cloth air filter on the end of this pipe, then why can I install a K&N air filter to this pipe?
Simple. Because then you don't have the air intake source within the engine compartment or stock location. If that fiter is within the engine bay I'd think you're legal. If your chesse cloth is mounted on the wheel well-side of that hole (or hence your K&N) then it is not in the engine bay or stock location. Remember, there is only *one* stock location. Remember, with a stock configuration the only source is the opening of that pipe that runs along the radiator. In a stock configuration the resonator box exists and air from under the fender does not enter the intake tract. No US CRX's came from the factory with the resonator box absent.

As a wise sage once told me, it's legal until you're protested. Ever run the MARRS series?

[This message has been edited by Gregg (edited January 17, 2005).]

racer-025
01-18-2005, 12:44 PM
Gregg,

I think we do have a legitimate argument here. It definitely says that I can remove the resonator. So, if thats all I do, then indeed what is left is a factory air intake exterior of the engine bay.

I guess we won't know for sure until someone gets protested. I think it could go either way...

No, I have not run in MARRS. I have been racing IT in Atlantic Canada for 13 years. This year we are planning on doing a few SCCA events. NHIS double for sure.

www.geocities.com/mcnuttracing/ (http://www.geocities.com/mcnuttracing/)

Geo
01-19-2005, 01:18 AM
Gregg,

I think we do have a legitimate argument here. It definitely says that I can remove the resonator. So, if thats all I do, then indeed what is left is a factory air intake exterior of the engine bay.

I guess we won't know for sure until someone gets protested. I think it could go either way...

Hopefully someone will. That's just tortured. The rule is pretty specific... Stock location or under the hood. I fail to see what it stock about it.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX

Gregg
01-19-2005, 04:02 PM
It definitely says that I can remove the resonator.
Is it still "stock" once you do that?

racer-025
01-20-2005, 01:46 PM
thats where I think the "grey area" is. I think tech would have to make a decision one way or the other - its a tough call. It definitely says that I can remove the resonator, thus leaving an open air intake exterior of the engine compartment.

Does anyone from SCCA Kansas want to pipe in here and make a call?

Knestis
01-20-2005, 07:26 PM
That's not how the system works and, even if they did, it wouldn't be anything besides another member's opinion.

I'm with Geo et al. on this: It's clear as a bell the way it's written and pulling air through that hole is not within the rule.

K

lateapex911
01-20-2005, 08:29 PM
A classic case of the subconsious mind reading the rules in a way that makes sense as it will benefit the conscious mind! http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

gran racing
01-20-2005, 08:38 PM
Are you saying that you can't just remove the resonator box in this example? (Not talking about moving the air filter where that once was.)

If you are, I'm a bit confused with the way I read the rules.

------------------
Dave Gran
NER ITB #13
'87 Honda Prelude si

Knestis
01-20-2005, 09:45 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with removing the resonator. The final source of intake air could even be right next to the resulting hole if we wanted - as long as it was within the engine compartment.

K

Geo
01-20-2005, 09:48 PM
OK....

So... you can remove the resonator. Hey, if it says you can, you bloody well can. However, that sentance can be over ruled by any other rule that places a limitation on it. That rule is the one that says air must be sourced from under the hood or the stock location. That is clearly not the stock location for the air source and that source is clearly not under the hood.

So, what do you do if you remove the resonator? Well, you will just have to block it off because there is zero none nada zip allowance for using it to source air from an illegal location.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX

Renaultfool
01-20-2005, 10:02 PM
The book says in section D,1,c, "Air intake source shall be within the confines of the engine compartment or stock location". It also says, "Air intake hoses, tubes, pipes, resonators, intake mufflers, housings, etc,.....may be removed or substituted". There are only two possibilities.

The second quote that allows you to remove or substitute the resonator only allows for just that. You can remove it, or replace it with something that performs the same funtion.

Secion D starts by saying, "No permitted componant/modification shall additionally perform a prohibited function".

If removing your resonator opens up an alternate air intake that is not one of the two allowed by the first quote, the only way you can remove the resonator is to plug the resulting hole in your intake system to avoid the prohibited funtion.

I think that placing anything outside that opening to filter or even direct air through the hole the resonator was in is outside the intent of the rules. I think that you can leave the new hole in the fender well that may exist from the allowed removal of the resonator without covering it, it just cannot direct air into your intake.

I work tech, and while our primary job is to verify safety, if bought to my attention I would provide the owner with information as stated above. If the car was protested, that is how I would decide it, but protests go through several people (stewarts) at an event so it would not be totally my call.

ITANorm
01-21-2005, 12:58 AM
The rule says ". . . stock location . . .". It also says you may remove or substitute. If the stock air intake was from the back bumper and it came to the engine compartment through a soda straw, you may replace the soda straw with a larger duct, and still source air from the back bumper - as it is the "stock location". The rule doesn't say anything about invalidating the location because of having removed or substituted an allowable component.