PDA

View Full Version : Who do you go to?

RSTPerformance
12-12-2004, 04:12 AM
Since you all started the topic on cheating and some had mentioned that some people might be in the grey area or that they might not know the rules clear enough.... what do youd o if you do have a question on legality?

This thread is a great place to start but what do you do when you get to the track and want a clarification on how those inspectors interpret the rules? I had specific questions when I went to the ARRC so the night BEFORE the event I went down to get my gear teched. I also brought my car to ask some questions.... this automatically made them think I was a cheater eventhough I was just double checking things before I even went on track. I was not given any answer on legality and I was told that coming to the tech inspectors the night before an event was not the right time to come. I asked when is the correct time to come and never got an answer. They told me when I get teched if I finish in the top 3 I will find out. Not the answer I was looking for! I know my car passed in my region but every region is different... I wanted to know what those inspectors felt the rules interpretation was BEFORE I raced. so I ask all of you....

DO any of you know when the correct time to go and ask the question is?

Stephen

PS I never made it to the Top 3 so I still have no idea. I will go back next year and again bring my car to tech ahead of time to have it looked over. since I am investing a huge amount of money to race I would hope they could give me some answers on how they interpret the rules.

Geo
12-12-2004, 07:37 AM
The definitive answer is spelled out in the GCR (not the ITCS). I'm sorry, but I'm out of town for a different kind of endurance race (marathon) and don't have a GCR with me.

But, if you look through the GCR you will find there is a procedure to determine legality before going to the track. The hitch is that it will cost $250 IIRC. Perhaps someone can help out with the exact rule.

Short of that procedure, I don't think it's possible to get a definitive answer. You see, tech inspectors are not even the final answer. The COA is. That said, I agree it would be nice to at be able to go to the tech stews at an event and know before you go out on track if you're legal or not. You would think they'd be willing to do this, but that would require them all to get together and come up with a ruling, much like a protest. I suppose you could protest yourself before the event. Not sure if that would work either.

Perhaps some tech folks will chime in and giv you a better answer.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX
84 944 ITS car under construction
92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
http://www.nissport.com

Bill Miller
12-12-2004, 08:32 AM
George,

I beleive the $250 fee is for a clarification on a rule, or a decision as to the legality of a specific part/mod. IIRC, it's $250 per item.

Stephen,

While I'm disapointed to hear that kind of response from the tech people, I have to say, I'm not totally surprised. Comments like this, and things like "A protest story" are a huge indication that the system is very broken. The fact that there is such an inconsistent interpretation of the rules, from region to region, and even between different stewards in the same region, is something that really needs to be addressed.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

Knestis
12-12-2004, 10:16 AM
That's pretty much the sum of it, Stephen - the only official way to know is to have something protested, found illegal, then upped to the Court of Appeals.

People invoke the "letter from Topeka" idea but even an "official interpretation" from the Club Racing technical guys won't do it.

There was a time not very long ago - months, actually - that I still believed we could fix that system but I frankly don't believe that it's possible, now that I'm back in the fray and not looking at it with some benefit of distance.

K

seckerich
12-12-2004, 11:00 AM
The time to ask these questions Stephen is during anual tech. I suggest that this year you contact your regions chief and ask them to inspect your car. We schedule "tech days" in January in my area and do this in a setting away from the track. A local racer with a shop allows us to all bring our cars to one location and we do annuals there (helps to buy dinner). No stress of a race weekend, and we have time to answer questions like yours with more research and get the correct answer. There is no possible way for every inspector to have the exact same opinion on an issue that has never been addressed before, but it gives us time to work with National to get the right answer. It is our job as tech stewards to get your answer. I'm sorry you got such a lame and unprofessional answer in Atlanta.

RSTPerformance
12-12-2004, 11:53 AM
Thanks for all your answers so quickly. I went to the ARRC and new I was going to be pretty fast... Ended up off pole to my Brother. so I wnated to get clarification since I was spending $5,000 to go down to the one event I wanted all my t's crossed and I's dotted and as you all know I stink at spelling! Next year I am only going to race in 3 or 4 races all most likely out of region so my anuual tech in my region won't help to much because everyone has there own interpretations. I will however try to make it to one becasue they are a good idea. I guess I will have to wait until I get protested to find out for sure. This system does suck, especially when you do have interpretations, grey areas, and people that don't fully understand the rules! (like newbies and even me on some things)

Stephen.

pfcs
12-12-2004, 01:58 PM
Stephen- don't be a wuss. For only $100 US I'll give you a determination. And for smaller issues, I do professional pondering for $50 per. phil

lateapex911
12-12-2004, 02:32 PM
C'mon Phil! Go easy on the kid! Even his own brother only calls him "A big sissy" (11/06/04, Atlanta, GA)! A wuss? Hmmmm kinda strong! http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

Stephen, going to the techs is a recipe for disaster. Look at Kips issues with his weight in 02 at the ARRCs....

I would:

Call Jeremy. See what he thinks, and how strongly hefeels about it.

If he is black and white, and you agree, then live with that.

IF he's not strongly positive, then get Raymond to protest you. "Run it up the flagpole" so to speak. Once the protest runs the course, appeal the result, and let the Court of Appeals decide the case.

Only then will you have a bullet-proof resolution that will stand up at any future protest.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

bldn10
12-12-2004, 05:33 PM
I can't find it in the GCR (the headings aren't always very indicative of what's in rule) but there is such a procedure because it was used at least once at The Runoffs this year. Indeed, it may be a supplementary Runoffs rule since that event is so important. An SSC entrant got a "declaratory judgment" on the legality in that class of after market stainless brake lines. To the surprise many, they were said to be legal w/i certain stock replacement parameters. I think he did have to pay a hefty fee and I heard that the ruling might not even be binding on the SOM or COA. An annual tech stamp is certainly not binding on them; however, it might protect you from severe penalties if subsequently found illegal.

------------------
Bill Denton
87/89 ITS RX-7
02 Audi TT225QC
95 Tahoe
Memphis

RSTPerformance
12-12-2004, 06:58 PM
Stephen... I'll protest you http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif He he...

Actually I wont, I think that you/we have not broken the rules theirfor we need not worry and or wast our $$$.

Unfortunatly "that" way of "fixing" things totally sucks... Everyone should be able to get an official ruling from someone in SCCA on questions... The GCR has creators, and those creators should be able to make proactive determinations for those that ask questions. Not only will this help make our rules more clear, but they will help newbies when they get "different interpretations" of the rules. I can see however people asking questions (overloading) everytime they think about protesting someone else... maybe the inquaries should be restricted to only asking about your own personal car... although very hard to regulate we (SCCA) somehow should be able to officialy answer questions without going through loops.

As far as the ARRC tech inspectors, I would like to add a little to that story.... we asked, they looked, and when I mean they more than one person. thus their were different interpretations to the rule. They even said we need to discuss this and you will have to see us in the morning for a determination. My impression was in the morning when we got the answer "it is up to interpretation" was that they could not agree to an answer.

I want to emphasize that although we did not get an answer they were very nice, they did take time to listen to us, and IMO would not have thrown the cars out for the part in question and wouldn't have even looked unless required to by a compeditors protest.

Raymond "wonder how many people are wondering what this darn part is now, thanks rumor starting wussy Stephen http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif" Blethen

RSTPerformance
12-13-2004, 04:39 AM
It is still very annoying that noone knows anything in SCCA and politics run the entire club.

Stephen

RSTPerformance
12-13-2004, 04:41 AM
It's also very discouraging from the standpoint of a newbie or someone that is just getting started.

Stephen

Ron Earp
12-13-2004, 08:32 AM
Stephen, as another newbie here, what exactly is it that you're worried won't pass tech? Or is it something that can't be aired in the open?

Ron

------------------
Ron
http://www.gt40s.com
Lotus Turbo Esprit
Ford Lightning
RF GT40 Replica
Jensen-Healey: IT prep progressing!

dickita15
12-13-2004, 08:45 AM
stephen.
re read jakes suggestion to call jeremy in topeka. getting a opinion from tech is like getting an opinion at this sight, it can give you point of views that can help you form an opinion but not a definative answer.

by the way as to you comment about politics it is more a problem of democracy. if this club had a dictator then you could get an easy answer but in SCCA's system no one person is invested with that much power. instead we have a process do make determainations. yes it is messy.

one of dick's rules of SCCA is that the club is the second largest burocracy in the world.

if you think this is frustrating try calling the IRS for a rule determaination
dick

gsbaker
12-13-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by lateapex911:
Even his own brother only calls him "A big sissy" (11/06/04, Atlanta, GA)!

Yup! Got a witness!

G

RSTPerformance
12-17-2004, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by rlearp:
Stephen, as another newbie here, what exactly is it that you're worried won't pass tech? Or is it something that can't be aired in the open?

Ron

Sorry for the delayed response. I work retail...Toys R Us at that! The 17 hr days are getting to me!

I will mention anything to anyone and let anyone look at anything at anytime! So ask away about anything and I will tell you everything! I was really hoping to get torn down at atlanta! We figured if we brought both cars we would have a better chance but... to succeed you must first finish!

Anyway I had a simple question about Air intake. More specifically what was considered to be ram air VS. what is allowed. I have 2 air intake tubes attached to my STOCK air box. One is mounted about 2 inches back from the front grill. The other is mounted to a STOCK plastic piece that sticks through the fender behind the bumper (This is where the original air intake is from in it's STOCK form). That's it pretty simple. I was frustrated because I wanted to know if the tech inspectors at the event that weekend interpreted this to be legal since they do a teardown on the cars if you finish in the top three. I was asked about it at a previous event and made modifications to it to try and make sure it wasn't grey and pure white! Since I was not afraid of others protesting me and was conserned with the tech shed I figured I would go to them. The reason I did this was because last year (2003) an Omni was thrown out because he was missing his rear door panels. He thaught it was legal to remove them and they did not. I learned from that that I should ask first. IMHO if he had asked ahead of time they should have had the same answer thursday that they had saturday. Then he could have done something about it and instead of showing up as a DQ he would have shown up as a 2nd place!

Stephen

Hope I clarified things.

Bill Miller
12-17-2004, 08:17 AM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">I work retail...Toys R Us at that!</font>

Hey Stephen, hook a fellow racer up w/ a PS2!!! My son broke his, and I wanted to get him a new one for X-mas.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

RSTPerformance
12-17-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Bill Miller:
Hey Stephen, hook a fellow racer up w/ a PS2!!! My son broke his, and I wanted to get him a new one for X-mas.

Bill where do you live? Call my cell phone... 603-496-5528 Leave me a message and I will have to call you back. I check my messages a few times a day. I don't have any at this moment but they might be coming! not many though!

Stephen

Catch22
12-17-2004, 02:57 PM
Stephen has mentioned his annual tech in his region a couple of times here. In relation to class legality???
Hmmm... Around here all they look for in Annual Tech are the safety requirements. They look at NOTHING in regards to legality outside of safety. Are things different elsewhere?

I've only been racing with SCCA for 2 years, but I've been around the club for 10 years. From what I've seen, there are alot of "interpretation" issues. In other words, someone read the rules and felt that the rules allowed what they did. This ends up being a matter of interpretation from the stewards, and from Topeka if it goes that far. Thats where you find out if you're legal from what I've seen.

As far as getting an answer ahead of time... I'm not sure how you'd "officially" do that. Its easy to get a friend thats a steward or just very knowlegeable about the rules to look at it and tell you what they think. But if youre looking for a signed piece of paper that you can carry around that officially blesses something you've done... I don't expect you'll get it.

On a side note, and I may be in the minority, but I like the way things are currently done at the ARRC. Winner takes off the head and the other 2 podium spots get their intake and exhaust ports checked. Fuel is tested, ride height is checked, and of course you roll across the scales. Finally, the podium sits there with their hoods up for at least an hour (we were there 2 hours this year) for anyone to see. Want to protest something... There it is, protest it.

I've heard several people say that there should be more extensive teardowns at the ARRC. I wholeheartedly disagree. This is AMATEUR CLUB RACING! There are no big checks on the line, no contracts with Penske... Its supposed to be for FUN.
Its not fun, as a reward for winning the race, to spend the entire night reassembling your car so you can run the enduro on Sunday. You should be drinking beer, eating cajun food, and celebrating your good finish. Because lets face it, thats the only real reward you get.

I know, lots of rambling, but its a touchy subject for me. Cheaters will cheat and they'll probably eventually get caught... Fine. Great. Whatever.
In the meantime we need to be careful to not suck all of the fun out of this sport in an effort to catch a few guys in the dishonest minority (and I do believe its a minority). I don't know about you guys, but FUN is all I'm getting out of this stuff.

------------------
#22 ITC Honda Civic
3rd Place 2004 ARRC
1st Place 2004 ARRC Enduro

lateapex911
12-18-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Catch22:
..... Cheaters will cheat and they'll probably eventually get caught... Fine. Great. Whatever.
In the meantime we need to be careful to not suck all of the fun out of this sport in an effort to catch a few guys in the dishonest minority (and I do believe its a minority). .....

I hope both statements are true......but am cynical. You mentioned the ARRCs...

I tool a look at lots of cars. In one class, about 70% of the cars were missing parts that should be there. I even questioned the officials about it, who at first said they were perfectly legal, then when I quoted the GCR, they brushed it off as "no big deal"....

Well, maybe no, maybe yes. But it could make one think...if they are willing to cheat on the obvious stuff......

How about the E36 with the slotted/drilled rotors?

Or the class with the fenders that weren't quite stock. Enough to lower the car further...A lower car can corner better, and so on...

I know, If I don't like it I am free to protest, but as always, two things are big deterents...How do you protest the majority of a class? And the officials attitude was that I was being a nerd.

Did these guys win because they had removed some parts and were running their cars lower because they had flared their fenders?

No.....but only because it appears most of them did it.

It IS amatuer racing...but I would like to see a better attitude, and a little more respect for the rules.

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited December 18, 2004).]

Karl Bocchieri
12-18-2004, 12:02 PM
Stephen,
The cheap way to find out if it's legal is to have your brother protest you. That way it only costs $25 not $125.

Catch22
12-18-2004, 12:48 PM
I tool a look at lots of cars. In one class, about 70% of the cars were missing parts that should be there. I even questioned the officials about it, who at first said they were perfectly legal, then when I quoted the GCR, they brushed it off as "no big deal"....

Well, maybe no, maybe yes. But it could make one think...if they are willing to cheat on the obvious stuff......

How about the E36 with the slotted/drilled rotors?

Are you saying that cars with obviously modified fenders and slotted rotors finished on the podium of a recent (within the last 3 to 5 years) ARRC?
If so, I find that hard to believe. I know I would certainly point out slotted rotors on a car in impound and so would everyone else I know. Again, hard for me to believe and I've never seen anything like that slide through ARRC impound.
I've seen cars booted for not having passenger side glass and for not having the ballast in the right place though, so somebody is looking.

I see obvious violations all the time on the backmarker cars that never make it to impound. Thing is, they are backmarkers, so nobody really cares. If another backmarker wants to protest them to move up one spot to 12th place... Well... Fine. Do it.
But I certainly don't care if the guy I lap in nearly every race has cross drilled rotors.

And my final thought on obvious things like modified fenders and slotted rotors, especially at the ARRC, is this... Why in the world would anybody spend the kind of time and money it takes to win at the ARRC and risk being DQ'd for something as dumb as slotted rotors. Its a zero bond protest that will take a stewart about 5 seconds to make a call on. That is just plain dumb and its why I believe you won't find crap like that on the front running cars.

It IS amatuer racing...but I would like to see a better attitude, and a little more respect for the rules

Yeah, me too. But I don't want to see mandatory tear downs, not even at the ARRC, to get to that respect. Again, that saps my fun right out of the sport.
When I see something obvious, I point it out to the guy. If he doesn't change it, and he beats me, I'll protest it. At that point he has chosen to do things the hard way, so we'll do it the hard way <shrug>.

Scott, who truly (maybe nievely) believes that the ARRC front runners have made every effort to cross Ts and dot Is.

------------------
#22 ITC Honda Civic
3rd Place 2004 ARRC

lateapex911
12-18-2004, 04:44 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\"> Are you saying that cars with obviously modified fenders and slotted rotors finished on the podium of a recent (within the last 3 to 5 years) ARRC? </font>

Yes, and no. Fenders, yes...and not just one car. Maybe they were only visible to someone with a good eye.

Rotors, no, not on the podium. I saw those in the impound area while the podium cars were undergoing their checks.

I think that the Atlanta Region tries to do a good job, and the only reason the ARRCs has achevied the promininence it has is due to the automatic compliance checks.

(It is interesting that more top flight cars DON'T attend the race.............)

I do feel however that no matter where you finish, if you have an obvious item like slotted rotors, the officials should write an RFA, and that's that. It's a big event. I would rather finish 5th than 6th...so even if the guy didn't make the podium, it still matters.

I agree, that at most regional raes, guys with obvious issues many seconds off the pace aren't really worth the worry. Odds are they are just starting, or might have bought the car that way. I know MANY people who got into racing, then spent a year making their car legal. The list of issues is sobbering. When those things come up, it's abvious that somebody ran the car in that condition with the intent to perform for the period the former owner ran the car. A friendly "informative" chat might be in order there.

I agree that anybody who thinks they could finish well at the ARRCs has prepped their car properly, or is just not smart.

But....that's the downside of the system. After watching the tech procedures, and talking with the officials, it is very easy for me to come up with a laundry list of items that I can do to my car and others that will make a huge difference. And everyone else knows it too. I really have no idea if cars are or are not taking advantage of items they know WON'T be checked.

For that reason, I do wish there were some form of "lottery" that dug deeper. But...I know that it would really suck if your name was called.

Still, the overwhelming impression I left the ARRCs with this year, regarding compliance, was that I now know what I know, and now I definately know what I don't know ....

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

ITBRSH
12-18-2004, 05:52 PM
Please note that tech inspectors are first to check and verify the safety of the cars. They are not class and rule experts, but can determine legal issues on any safety issue. When you get into specific modifications for a car or class, they are not experts. As noted by others, there is a different process to determine legal/illegal mods.

Catch22
12-18-2004, 08:11 PM
Rotors, no, not on the podium. I saw those in the impound area while the podium cars were undergoing their checks.

I do feel however that no matter where you finish, if you have an obvious item like slotted rotors, the officials should write an RFA, and that's that. It's a big event. I would rather finish 5th than 6th...so even if the guy didn't make the podium, it still matters.

And why do the officials need to write an RFA for such a thing???

If the guy with slotted rotors finished 5th, and you finished 6th and want that spot... PROTEST IT!
It won't cost you a thing. Just point it out to a steward in impound and file the paperwork. DONE!

Again, this is amateur racing and part of that is the competitors policing themselves. The stewards CAN write an RFA, but if they don't there is certainly nothing stopping a competitor from pulling out a pen. Thats how the system works and its not perfect but it would work better if more people would use it.

You know, that guy probably STILL has slotted rotors on his car, and its the fault of all his competitors at the ARRC that saw it and ignored it.

gran racing
12-19-2004, 10:45 AM
It is too bad someone else didn't talk to the individual about the rotors. Maybe it was an honest mistake? Or maybe not.

I'm sure it would have been a bit awkward for Jake to file another protest right now. Although it would be interesting to hear the Protest Story Part II.

Obtaining rules clarification can be very frustrating. Especially when someone is new to the sport, the GCR can be pretty intimidating. When I was building my car, I was faced with several items I was unclear about. The biggest one was related to my cage. Prior to joining SCCA, I participated in several HPDEs. I decided to put a roll bar in the car since I was only using the car for HPDEs anyways and wanted some extra safety. At that time, I always thought about doing SCCA racing so I had it built to meet IT specs. When building the cage, the shop recommended that I use a thicker then required tubing to make it safer. Then if weight ever became an issue, I could tear it out and start from scratch. A couple years later I decided to make the car IT legal and needed to finish the cage. But I did not want the remaining portion of the cage to be as thick as what was used for the roll bar. So I went on my adventure to determine if this was legal or not. (Things were tight financially so I couldn't afford to start from scratch) I read the rule book over and over again and got several people opinions. But before doing it, I wanted to know for sure. I sent an e-mail to the club racing tech dept. but never received a response. I then called them and was pointed to the person I needed to speak with. I was never able to get in touch with him and he never returned any of my calls. Very annoying. I spoke with a more local tech inspector and he thought it "should" be o.k. Well, I needed to know for certain. I understood his position and didn't want to be liable for misinformation. Later in the process I was pointed to Jermey at headquarters who clarified things for me. I couldn't get it in writing and had to trust that he would back me up if need be. Everything went smoothly when getting my car teched but needless to say the inability to obtain clarification certainly made things stressful and slowed my car build process up a lot.

(Once I found Jermey in club racing tech's dept., things went much easier. He was always willing to clarify things and actually returned my calls. No, I didn't bug him too much but there were a few items I needed to clarify.)

------------------
Dave Gran
NER ITB #13
'87 Honda Prelude si

lateapex911
12-19-2004, 01:51 PM
And why do the officials need to write an RFA for such a thing???

If the guy with slotted rotors finished 5th, and you finished 6th and want that spot... PROTEST IT!
It won't cost you a thing. Just point it out to a steward in impound and file the paperwork. DONE!

Again, this is amateur racing and part of that is the competitors policing themselves. The stewards CAN write an RFA, but if they don't there is certainly nothing stopping a competitor from pulling out a pen. Thats how the system works and its not perfect but it would work better if more people would use it.

You know, that guy probably STILL has slotted rotors on his car, and its the fault of all his competitors at the ARRC that saw it and ignored it.

I hear ya.....but...

The ARRCs are different. At that event I would prefer that the officials feel free to do some RFA writing. As it is, they pretty much (from what I can see) look only at the podium cars.

A few reasons for MY not protesting him:
- Not in my class. I know.... it doesn't matter...
- It DOES cost. A lot of time, and effort, and some money too, although that gets returned. But the time aspect is potentially quite large. I know, no excuse....
- The usual bad blood. From my point of view, others in his class were staring at the rotors and if THEY couldn't handle the situation, then I have no business doing it.

Sure I could write paper, but I think we, as a community need to share the load. I'll worry about my own class.....

But, at the ARRCs, I would prefer that the officials write up all obvious issues.

I am fully aware it's not their job, and I know they aren't experts on everything, but stuff like this is so easy, and should be nipped in the bud at this event, IMHO.

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Catch22
12-19-2004, 04:39 PM
From my point of view, others in his class were staring at the rotors and if THEY couldn't handle the situation, then I have no business doing it.

And there you have the jist of it.

If competitors aren't willing to call out folks on obvious violations then they have no business complaining about it. People are people and they do what people do, this means that some people with ALWAYS either misunderstand the rules or just straight up cheat. It is, in club racing, the responsibility of the entrants to police each other, not the officials. Thats the way it should be IMVHO.

In short, if you want people held accountable for rules violations but are either too lazy or too chicken to pick up a pen, then you need to be pro racing.
Note: not aimed at Jake or anyone in particular. Kind of aimed at everyone in unparticular.

Sorry guys, I'm just sick of hearing people grumble that this person or that person is cheating and EVERY TIME I say "Well, go protest them." I get some excuse as to why they can't or won't do it. Then... at some point in the future the same person is bitching and moaning again.
I hate that.

I don't think anyone at the top of my class in my division is cheating. There is no reason to think they would be. Nobody has a dominant car and several of them have won the ARRC several times.
But if I DID think someone was cheating, especially that special someone who kicks everyone's butts all year but never shows up for the ARRC (not happening in my class, but it happens in others), I'd be all over it with a pen and paper.
Not because I'm a rules Nazi, but because thats how the system is designed to keep things in check. If nobody uses it (as imperfect as it is) things will definately go all to hell.

Scott, who says "Hell, if that guy's gonna run slotted rotors I will too." (get it?)

------------------
#22 ITC Honda Civic
3rd Place 2004 ARRC

RSTPerformance
12-20-2004, 12:04 AM
Stephen has mentioned his annual tech in his region a couple of times here. In relation to class legality???
Hmmm... Around here all they look for in Annual Tech are the safety requirements. They look at NOTHING in regards to legality outside of safety. Are things different elsewhere?

I'm sorry ot have mislead you. Youy are correct that annual tech is for safety only and anything that was reported or "written up" in your log book form the previous season. Our region seems to be the same as yours. The only non safety thing I have had checked is the fule test port.

I've only been racing with SCCA for 2 years, but I've been around the club for 10 years. From what I've seen, there are alot of "interpretation" issues. In other words, someone read the rules and felt that the rules allowed what they did. This ends up being a matter of interpretation from the stewards, and from Topeka if it goes that far. Thats where you find out if you're legal from what I've seen.

As far as getting an answer ahead of time... I'm not sure how you'd "officially" do that. Its easy to get a friend thats a steward or just very knowlegeable about the rules to look at it and tell you what they think. But if youre looking for a signed piece of paper that you can carry around that officially blesses something you've done... I don't expect you'll get it.

My issue is that it is interpreted differently everywhere. My car was found legal in my region but they did "discuss" it before they let me leave inpound. I wnated to know how the inspectors interpreted the rule at that event. I didn't care about anything after that weekend. If you finish in the top three you get torn down by the tech inspectors. YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO GO TO THEM (ALL OF THEM) AT THE BEGGINING OF THE WEEKEND TO DETERINE THERE INTERPRETATION. It is completly different if another competitor protests you and it goes to the SOM but if the tech inspectors interpret that it is legal then you should be incompliance for the weekend if you are impounded NOT if another competitor protests you.

If a competitor or the SOM came to me ahead of time and said that I was being protested then I would have asked what do I need ot do to be in compliance. I would then most likely make any and all changes that are required to be in compliance for how they interpret the rules. I want to play fair and in the rules. If anyone thinks/thaught or is even suspicious I wnat to know so I can fix the problem. Racing should be fun your right! If you think I'm cheating and then your behind me you can't honestly be having complete fun if your pist becaseu you think I am cheating. Be open and honest!

Stephen

PS:
The 2 hr wait after impound with the hoods up only lets you see the car to protest them at the next event. No competitor can protest or suggest to a steward that a car be protested after the 1/2 hr window before race start.

Knestis
12-20-2004, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by RSTPerformance:
... If a competitor or the SOM came to me ahead of time and said that I was being protested then I would have asked what do I need ot do to be in compliance. ...

I have NO doubt that they would explain that they just can't do that - that you have to be protested first, before they can act and establish findings.

No question. That's just how the system works and frankly, it's that way at least in part because it results in the least hassles in the tech shed.

The stewards and tech folks are at the track to have fun, too and they'd rather be at the BBQ drinking beer and telling stories, than up to their armpits in someone's coolant.

I pulled off the track after a quailifying session at VIR and asked if I needed to stick around after crossing the scales. The tech guy looked at the side of my car, laughed, and said, "There's a National here this weekend - we don't look at no damned IT cars." He was kidding of course but, for a joke to be funny, there has to be some kernel of truth to it...

K

RSTPerformance
12-20-2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Knestis:
The stewards and tech folks are at the track to have fun, too and they'd rather be at the BBQ drinking beer and telling stories, than up to their armpits in someone's coolant.

K

I give up.

If you read through my posts again you will see that this is what I wanted to accomplish. I don't want any hassles in the tech shed and that's why I asked ahead of time.

Stephen

ITANorm
12-29-2004, 02:28 PM
Stephen,

In short; based on what I understand of your description of your intake, IMHO, it is not "ram air" since it doesn't actually terminate in the airstream. If you had extended the hose to the front valence, or the radiator surround, and penetrated it -then that's a different story. If the one in the fenderwell is in the stock location -it's good.

Secondly - as a Steward; I'd recommend that you seek out the Chief Steward (preferably on Friday evening, and before too many beers http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif ) and ask his interpretation. He's the one who has to actually administer the RFA, and if he's already told you it's legal, that might well make a difference.