PDA

View Full Version : ITA NEON

ITA Racer
11-26-2004, 09:28 PM
I am planning to build an ITA Neon for next season. I would like to get a head start for next season. Can some one give a basic rundown of what I can do? No smart ansewrs about buying gcr if I want to know. I plan to I just want t0o get a head start. Thanks

Greg Amy
11-26-2004, 10:25 PM
ITA Racer, the "smart" answer, regardless of your definition of that term, *is* to buy a GCR and read it. This is the case for two basic reasons:

- One, none of us want to have to either spoon-feed you all the rules and/or type them all for you, when you can get the rulebook and read it yourself, and

- Two, do you *REALLY* want to start spending time and money preparing a race car based on opinions from an Internet forum??? Especially when all you have to do is buy a rulebook (that you're going to need to buy anyway???)

Sorry to sound like a jerk, man, but that's life. You've got to show some initiative.

(If you ask really nicely, instead of starting off your first post in this forum with an insult, I bet someone would be willing to send you a PDF copy of the 2004 rules for you to use as a guide. Then, you'll want to buy your own copy of the GCR when it becomes available in January. Don't forget to download all of the Fastrack supplements from 2004, as everything in there will apply to you as well.)

BTW, just for starters, the rules allow unlimited suspension modifications (including moving pickup points), no limit on camshafts, full porting and polishing of the head, larger intake (but not exhaust) valves, any size wheels you can fit within carbon fiber fenders and hood, any additional computers and wiring harness mods you want, and rear decklid wings...(Edit: forgot to mention that you can remove your windshield washer bottle...)

[This message has been edited by GregAmy (edited November 26, 2004).]

ITA Racer
11-26-2004, 11:52 PM
THanks for the reply. I did not mean to insult anyone. Some people may take it as one some may not. I have seen some of the things said here and on other boards about asking for rules. I just would like to get abit of a start now and not squander the time we have to build the car. It just seams that there sometimes is some petty arguing happening when people ask for help with a rules question. The majority of other racing organzations openly publisg there rules for the competitors. It seems to me that some people feel t a closed door mentality is the only way. To me it would make it easier for a prospective competitor to build a car if they were more readily available.

Knestis
11-27-2004, 12:06 AM
You can safely take out the carpet, and remove all of the undercoating and tar from the inside of the passenger compartment and the bottom of the car. That's a time-consuming job that doesn't require any $$, that you can work on while waiting for the 2005 rules to ship.

I mention $$ because you don't want to spend ANY of it until you have the rules in hand and have read them thoroughly.

There's a temptation to start buying trick parts and ripping stuff out of the car but both of those activities can screw you royally if you don't know the goofy requirements involved. There are some things that you are going to think make complete sense that are totally illegal in IT.

K

Geo
11-27-2004, 12:31 AM
There is always petty arguing here, but Greg is right. Nobody is going to spoon feed you. It's not there there are only 6 rules.

Basically, despite what some will have you believe, the rule book is your friend. It will tell you everything you can do to your race car legally. But sometimes you have to read critically with an open mind. For the rest, you're on your own unless you have a specific question. Then, despite the petty bickering, this forum will help you out with either correct answers that are known or various interpretations and why if the correct interpretation is not known (as a result of a protest and COA review).

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX
84 944 ITS car under construction
92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
http://www.nissport.com

Greg Amy
11-27-2004, 09:09 AM
Tell you what, ITA Racer (what's your name? Where are you located?), since I'm feeling *slightly* guilty for starting off our relationship rudely, and the new GCR will be available in a month, and I'm really looking forward to having the Neons to push around on the track (the smack-talk is starting already!) send me an email directly. I'll forward to you the PDF rules that deal with IT as well as all the 2004 Fastracks, giving you something to read over the next couple of nights and many potty breaks. Read it, then come back and ask us how and why SCCA does some of these goofy things.

By the way, the cardinal guideline in IT that you must keep in mind as you read these is "If they don'y say you can, then you cannot." We typically abbreviate that here as IIDSYCYC. What this means is if you're about to change, modify, or replace something, you must find in the rules where it says you can do it. If you cannot find it in there, DON'T DO IT. There's going to be some thing that you *expect* to be allowed, like alternate motor mounts, aftermarket crank pullies, and short shifters, but **BRACK**! Not allowed. READ IT CAREFULLY.

Finally, in 2005 SCCA is going to send a GCR to all members as part of the increased membership fee, *and* the GCR will be available online. Also note that SCCA posts rules updates throughout the year as part of its publication of the membership magazine, so it's imperative that you read and note these as you go long. So, your wishes are answered.

My email address is grega*at*pobox*dot*com. Email me and I'll send this stuff to you (multiple megabytes, by the way.)

As for you other b*****ds, go buy your own GCR.

GregA

[This message has been edited by GregAmy (edited November 27, 2004).]

ITA Racer
11-27-2004, 09:13 AM
Thanks guys.

Tom Blaney
11-27-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by ITA Racer:
Thanks guys.

What I suggest you do is relate what ever you or the fast guys did to the other cars (CRX, Integra). It is still a FWD racer and therefore will have similiar annoyances that need to be delt with.

We took all of the compliance out of the suspension (rubber) and replaced it with hard bushings, get the best shocks that you can afford, and see if you can get advice about springs (or at least what the guys that ran the neon challange think would work), look at the engine and gearbox to see if there are 40 over pistons and have it worked to the LEGAL LIMITS.

Do all the normal stuff about gutting and tar removal, and if your in the Northeast Chris Howard is my choice as cage builder.

Keep it light and simple to maintain, and then spend as much time tuning your skill as you do tuning the suspension.

You can send me an e and I will see what I can find out about a quaiffe.

Tom Blaney
[email protected]
http://www.sbmsinc.com/race_shop.html

[This message has been edited by Tom Blaney (edited November 27, 2004).]

gran racing
11-27-2004, 10:04 AM
ITA Racer,
What you and others need to understand is that people are not being jerks about telling people that they need to refer to the GCR. Would you be at all pissed if you built your car and brought it to tech inspection just to have them say dude, you can't do half the stuff you've done here. And some of the stuff people take out are a real pain in the ass to take out.

O.k. So before I bought a GCR I took the door panels out and threw them out. Getting the proper aluminum thickness, cutting them to size, ect. sucked.

Even if a person asks an SCCA tech inspector is this legal? They usually say look at the GCR. It is unfortunate but then again it is just life. They don't want to be liable for anything they tell you is o.k. but in reality is illegal.

Like others said, do the suspension, strip the interrior (only carpet, rear seat, and sound deading stuff). After you get the GCR from Greg, get your cage done. At first focus on what you need to get the car's log book (tech inspection).

------------------
Dave Gran
NER ITB #13
'87 Honda Prelude si

Eagle7
11-27-2004, 10:57 AM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">Finally, in 2005 SCCA is going to send a GCR to all members as part of the increased membership fee, </font>
What I remember seeing is that the GCR would be sent to all currently licensed drivers as part of the increased license fee.

------------------
Marty Doane
ITS RX-7 #13
CenDiv WMR

dickita15
11-27-2004, 11:56 AM
I would also contact chrylers motorsports dept. I have heard rumors that they are supporting the car even to the point of crate IT engines and final drives. you may want to see what they already have off the shelf for racers.
dick

Rabbit07
11-27-2004, 01:21 PM
I will be campaigning a ITA neon next year also. Yes, there are tons of over the counter parts for the car. Crate motor, Spherical bushed control arms, coil-over struts, quaife diff, engine controllers, headers, camber plates, ect........

I hope to have the car out in the spring in CenDiv.

Good luck........

ITA Racer
11-27-2004, 04:08 PM
WO ,this was more the reply I hoped for before.I understand what all of you guys are saying. We just didn't want to waste anytime here in the northeast. Thanks again. I will keep you guys posted as to how things are going. I'm shure there will be mor e questions to comee. Good luck to all.

Andy Bettencourt
11-27-2004, 05:25 PM
I think the point is that you WILL be wasting time and money if you don't have a GCR. You should be able to get a 2004 version from almost anyone and the changes will be minimal.

Just be careful and do your homework. Good luck with the car. Should be fun!

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
New England Region, R188967
ITS RX-7 and ITA project SM
www.flatout-motorsports.com

Richy Gonzalez
11-29-2004, 10:30 PM
Well, if you don't want to take the time or money to build a already proven car, I know where there's a very well built silver ITA CRX for sale http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/cool.gif

...I know, I couldn't help myself http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

------------------
Richy Gonzalez
GB Racing - #24 ITA CRX For Sale $8300 (http://groups.msn.com/TheGonzalezFamilyRichySheilaandNyah/projectitacrx.msnw)
LAMIN-X Protective Films (http://www.lamin-x.com)

ITA Racer
12-23-2004, 10:58 PM
As I read the ita section of the gcr I am a bit coonfussed about glass removal. Am I correct in my understanding that the only glass to be removed is the drivers window?

Andy Bettencourt
12-23-2004, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by ITA Racer:
As I read the ita section of the gcr I am a bit coonfussed about glass removal. Am I correct in my understanding that the only glass to be removed is the drivers window?

Yes - ONLY if your cage incorporates the described NASCAR-stle door bars. If it doesn't the glass stays.

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
New England Region, R188967
ITA project SM
www.flatout-motorsports.com