PDA

View Full Version : Window Net On Passenger Side?

Dave Zaslow
10-15-2004, 07:38 AM
Hello All,

After my incident this year I found some trim parts from the other car inside my car. They came in through the passenger window. In the 2003 ITCS window nets are as per the Showroom Stock rules. The SS describes only the mounting of drivers side window nets. Am I allowed to put a window net on the passenger side? I presume the mounting to be under the same standards as the drivers side net. I would rather not have more trim pieces flying at me again.

Dave Z

joeg
10-15-2004, 07:56 AM
The GCR also talks about only "driver's" side net".

My guess is that you could do this if you feel real strong about it. I would talk to a tech inspector as to whether it causes any corner worker concerns.

You often see cars at schools with Driver and Pass nets/ seats and harnesses.

Good luck.

Chris Sawatsky
10-15-2004, 08:58 AM
if it doesn't say you can do it...

ddewhurst
10-15-2004, 09:25 AM
Dave, has identified an actual safety issue that occured. I thought there was a rule relative to driver comfort. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

Have Fun http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif
David

Geo
10-15-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by ddewhurst:
I thought there was a rule relative to driver comfort. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

The only rule about driver comfort that I remember is relative to pedal modification.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX
84 944 ITS car under construction
92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
http://www.nissport.com

ddewhurst
10-15-2004, 02:13 PM
Geo, you are correct about the drivers comfort rule. Try this rule understanding on for size. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

GCR 17.30 Window Safety Nets

Window safety nets shall be used on the drivers side window of all closed cars.
---------------------------------------------
GCR 18.2. Show Room Stock Cage

Specs nothing with respect to window nets.
14.1.4.D.10.e. Safety

Safety harness systems, window nets, and fire extinguishers shall meet or exceed all requirements for Showroom Stock vehicles.
IMHJ if I were to install a SAFETY Window Net to the passengers side open window I would have "meet or exceed all requirements for Showroom Stock vehicles".

Have Fun http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif
David

Dave Zaslow
10-18-2004, 01:16 PM
I have sent the following to Topeka:

Gentlepersons,

At an event this spring I had the misfortune to be involved in a crash, which totaled my ITB car. (My car was stopped on-track and another car hit me while spinning) Thankfully, I was uninjured. In stripping out the chassis I came upon pieces of the other car involved in the incident. These pieces were torn off of his car during the accident and came into my car through the unprotected passenger-side window. Some were rather large (8”) and some had sharp ends (torn fiberglass); sizable enough to cause harm to a person.

I am building a new car and wish to put a window net on the passenger’s side as well as the required net on the driver’s side. I have consulted my copy of the GCR which, when addressing window nets in the ITCS, states to follow Showroom Stock rules. Those rules clearly spell out that one must put a window net on the driver’s side. No mention is made of the passenger side. To paraphrase the ITCS: “If it doesn’t say you can you can’t”. I am asking that provisions be added to the GCR that would allow, but not necessarily mandate, passenger side window nets to be installed in IT cars. I can see no advantage to having a net in that position as long as it satisfies all of the provisions regarding net construction and mounting for the mandated net. While I believe this is a safety issue for all cars, I do not wish to speak for those in other classes.

I thank you for your consideration of what I think is an important safety issue.

Yours,

Dave Zaslow
Member #189195.

Let me know if it ever shows up in someone's in-box ;-)

Dave Z

RSTPerformance
10-18-2004, 01:51 PM
Dave-

If you get protested here in the Northeast for that then we WILL find something illigal on the persons car who protested you. I can't imagine that someone would protest a non-performance gaining safety enhancement issue.

Raymond "hope to see you next year" Blethen

spnkzss
10-18-2004, 02:40 PM
Well let me throw this at you. If you have a window net on the passenger side will this cause a larger problem with workers attempting to help in an incident? I would assume you woul have to put your kill switch on the outside of the car (if it's not already there) so it does not impede a working from shutting your car down immediately?

Of you that have had stuff fly in the passenger window, how close has it come to you in the drivers seat?

JohnRW
10-18-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by spnkzss:
Well let me throw this at you. If you have a window net on the passenger side will this cause a larger problem with workers attempting to help in an incident? I would assume you woul have to put your kill switch on the outside of the car (if it's not already there) so it does not impede a working from shutting your car down immediately?

Dave - I hope you get a letter back from Topeka that says "go ahead and use a passenger-side net, if you want."

The above response - kill switches are not required to be in the passenger side window, if in the passenger compartment. You can put it on the driver's side (my preference), which has the same theoretical 'window net' problem.

SCCA is actively encouraging interior right-side head/shoulder nets, for passenger containment. Proven safety, due to new data. The rules don't say we can use them so we CAN'T ? Same net, different place.

Dave's request follows the intent of the rules. The net is there to keep us in the car, and crap out of the car. THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT, ISN'T IT ?

Look...you can try to deconstruct the rules until the only thing allowed is an apple crate with a 7pt. FIA harness. Give it a rest, and understand the INTENT of the rules, rather than a superficial, literal reading of people who aren't really paying too much attention.

John Walsh

spnkzss
10-18-2004, 03:31 PM
Apparently the kill switch was a bad example.

I understand the wanting of the window net, I was just curious mainly if that would impede a working from getting to you any quicker if you where in a bad accident? This is not a my opinion/hypethetical type of question, just a question that I was hoping someone would answer for me.

As for the rule change to allow a passenger side window net, I think you should be allowed to if you wanted to.

Festus E. Simkins
10-18-2004, 04:09 PM
FWIW, the corner workers will cut the window net if there is a problem getting it down when trying to get to the driver.

Drive well.

spnkzss
10-18-2004, 04:33 PM
**** FWIW, the corner workers will cut the window net if there is a problem getting it down when trying to get to the driver. ****

That make perfect sense.

Thank you

Dave Zaslow
10-19-2004, 02:02 PM
Someone, in a state surrounded by Colorado, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Nebraska wrote me that exceeding the SS safety requirements is allowable. So David Dewhurst's prescient interpretation wins todays rules nerd award. I guess Kirk is too busy prepping for this weekends enduro.

Dave Z

Chris Sawatsky
10-19-2004, 02:38 PM
So can I put on a solid window net on the passenger side, for aerodynamic advantage I mean uh... safety? It doesn't say anything about the passenger side net in SS rules

chris (playing devil's advocate)

jake7140
10-19-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Chris Sawatsky:
So can I put on a solid window net on the passenger side, for aerodynamic advantage I mean uh... safety? It doesn't say anything about the passenger side net in SS rules

chris (playing devil's advocate)

Not solid, but there was a guy who used seat belt-sized webbing with little space between the "webs" for said aerodynamic advantage. Kind of gets away from the safety part though as you can't see through it!

------------------
Steve
[email protected]
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/jake7140" TARGET=_blank>My racing page
</A><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/elrss" TARGET=_blank>Elkhart Lake Racing_&_Sipping Society
</A>