PDA

View Full Version : Legality Of Carbs And Headers

yozsi
10-09-2004, 10:12 PM
I was just wondering if it is legal to put on tripple side drafts and headers on a 240z racing in ITS? or do you keep the stock su's and exhaust manifold? sorry i lost my rule book.

Greg Amy
10-09-2004, 11:27 PM
Headers, yes.

Alternate carbs, no.

yozsi
10-09-2004, 11:32 PM
ah shoot, i guess i will have to swap my tripples on during auto-x and my su's when road racing.

lateapex911
10-10-2004, 02:02 PM
Yes....you'd think that the switch from autocrossing to roadracing might be simple, but it is not.

Bot cars are pretty specialized.

If you are thinking about roadracing your autocrossing Z-car, you NEED to get a GCR, and read it carefully. There are significant variations in the rules, and you may find that switching between the two disciplines is very difficult.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

yozsi
10-10-2004, 07:43 PM
well im trying to build my car according to its specs. anyways people have told me that bsp rules are pretty similar. is a gcr a rule book? where should i acquire another one? as i lost mine.

lateapex911
10-10-2004, 08:42 PM
Just either call or hit the SCCA website and they will send one out right away.

An alternative would be to attend a race in your area, and find a guy with a Z car.

As we are getting to the end of the year, a bew printing will be available in about 4 months. Maybe a used 2003 copy could be donated if you want to avoid a double purchase.

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

ITZ34
10-10-2004, 10:33 PM
I think you'll find the IT rules more restrictive.

DC
ITS 240Z # 34

yozsi
10-11-2004, 12:58 AM
yes, they are certanly more restrictive. i will try to find another rule book, does anyone have a used one for sale?

RandallH
10-13-2004, 03:33 PM
This thread reminds me of one started a few months ago about our responsibilities to others.
There is a some amount of planning and problem solving ability required in racing if you want to experience any degree of success. Maybe even if you want to do it at all.
The nature of these questions leads me to wonder: Are you a member of SCCA? Do you have an SCCA racing license? If not, do you know how to get to that point? If you are, how could you not know what a GCR is?
What you may need is a plan. It is great to be able to ask people that you know and trust for advice, but do you really know and trust anyone on a forum?
You should, at the least, supplement the answers you get here with your own research.
If you obtain an older version of the GCR there could be some significant changes to the rules depending on the year and the car.

yozsi
10-13-2004, 04:41 PM
just for your information, i am a member of the scca, no i do not have a racing licence. i am trying to make my car legal so i can attend the racing school. i do not remember what gcr stands for, i believe it is general competition rules, or contest rules. it is hard to find information about this subject, maybe someone can point me in the right direction so i do not bother you guys too much. btw, the car is a 1972 240z, it is fully prepped for solo2 bsp class, i have been autocrossing for about 2 years. thanks!

Dick Elliott
10-13-2004, 05:55 PM
Biggest thing I can think of off hand is the wheels! B/SP can run any width wheels. IT-S can only run 7" wide wheels. You will also need a full cage / stock sheet metal / no fender flairs / orignal type distributor / liquid overflow cans / electrical shut off switch / window net / tires inside the fenders / fire bottle or system. And lots more I'm sure. GO FOR IT. When its legal for IT-S, it will still be legal for B/SP but not necessarly the other way around. Ask all the questions you want to. Thats why were here. DICK

lateapex911
10-13-2004, 07:12 PM
Keep 'em coming Yozsi...but sign your name so we can adress you correctly!

Good call on the GCR, "Competition" is the answer. It is a thick book, and some of it can be pretty dry, but it is filled with answers. Some are pretty arcane...but we have lots of guys here who have good opinions...but still opinions! So ask away....

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

ITZ34
10-13-2004, 07:22 PM
Yozsi:

Once you get the car legal and safe, check out the Nissan area of this site for setup info. In particular, look through the history for a great post by "Katman" on Z suspension setup.

Dave Ciufo
ITS 240Z #34

yozsi
10-14-2004, 12:27 AM
well basically, the only things i have to add are: the roll cage, window net, fire bottle, and probably a legal racing seat. i currently run 14x7's so i have no problem there. oh, and my name is Oliver. thanks.

yozsi
10-14-2004, 12:46 AM
well i might as well list the specs of my car right now.
1972 240z
Engine:
100% stock L24 with e88 head.
rebuilt fully by yours truly.
Intake and exhaust:
roller bearing su carbs by z therapy.
equal length nismo headers (or msa headers or stock manifold too)
2.5 inch mandrel bent exhaust into a cheap turbo style muffler.
Inition:
currently running zx ignition, but i have the stock dist and msd 6al ign box.
Cooling:
running electric fans
copper core 4 core radiator
Drivetrain:
running stock clutch and flywheel(have centerforce 2 clutch)
currently running stock 4 speed and stock 3.36 r180, i have a selection of transmitions(early 5 speeds, late 5 speeds, and 4 speeds) and also a selection of rearends(3.36 r180, 3.54 r200, 4.11 r200 none of which have limited slips installed.)
Chassis and Suspention:
motorsport front and rear strutbars( I have a triangulated rear also)
suspention tech front and rear swaybars (rear sway is intalled the right way and not into the floor)
poly bushings everywhere (except front control arms have delrin/alum camber adjusters)
ground control coilovers
225 pound springs in the front and 250's in the rear.
shortened strut housings with tokico 5 ways.
bsp legal camber plates in the front (have the full blown ground control plates also)
Interior:
some 14 inch racing steering wheel installed the right way with a correct hub.
a cheap "racing seat"
and i have a 5 point harness from rjs (havent installed because lack of roll cage/bar)

well basically that is it, im sure i have left out some details. feel free to criticize me on my setup.
Oliver

ITZ34
10-14-2004, 10:51 PM
Oliver:

You'll have to run the 4 speed. Depending on the tracks you are running(not sure where you're from) you'll probably want to run a 3.7 for tracks with long straights to 3.9 or 4.11 for shorter tracks. The R200 is not legal. A cheap alternative to LSD is welding the rear.

Dave Ciufo
ITS 240Z #34

yozsi
10-15-2004, 12:17 AM
well finding r180's is a pretty easy task, from other z's, sx's and 200sx's. i was thinking about welding the spiders but was told that it would put more stress on drivetrain components. and obviously render the spiders useless.

yozsi
10-15-2004, 12:18 AM
and oh, im from the east bay area, california.