PDA

View Full Version : Cracked windshield

bldn10
03-27-2004, 12:08 PM
My windshield has a single long crack horizontally about 6" from the top. You cannot feel it and it does not obstruct the view. I do not see anything in the GCR/ITCS re cracked glass - am I missing it? What is the "rule" on this?

Can you remove a windshield from a parts car w/o cracking it? Any tips?

jc836
03-27-2004, 04:09 PM
You should replace it regardless. If you have a spare in the parts car-have a pro take it out. They are known to fail during removal, but the pro's seem to reduce the risk of that with their tools.

John Herman
03-27-2004, 07:09 PM
If it is the late model variety that is glued in, I wouldn't worry about it, esspecially if you race with a closed face helmet with the visor down. If an official becomes insistant, ask them to note it in your logbook. Then fix it for the next race. If I replaced a windshield every time it got a crack or someone said I "should" replace it, I'd go through a couple per year. If your are concerned at all for your safety or obstruction of vision, by all means, replace it.

Jake
03-27-2004, 09:02 PM
I had the same dillema last season. I actually talked to a tech inspector about it. I had a few stress cracks that went about 6" from the edge. I was told that if they crept to another edge then to replace the window. If they didn't, then not to bother.

ITSRX7
03-27-2004, 09:53 PM
I have a chip in my window - out of the line of sight. No spider cracks, just a large chip.

I asked my esteemed tech guru and he laughed. Why? Because there is no rule. It is a completely subjective process.

If you think you are flying close to the issue, get it replaced proactively. It would suck to have to sit out a weekend because you didn't replace it.

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region
www.flatout-motorsports.com (http://www.flatout-motorsports.com)

Eagle7
03-28-2004, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by bldn10:
Can you remove a windshield from a parts car w/o cracking it? Any tips?
Had one 95% free and lost my focus for a second and wrecked it. Used a long bladed razor knife which worked better than my attempt with a piano wire which the FSM recommended.

------------------
Marty Doane
ITS RX7 #13
CenDiv WMR

JLawton
03-28-2004, 03:13 PM
I took one out using a long handled utility knife and special tool. Forget what it's called. It has an "L" blade, round handle and cable to help pullit it under the class. I got it out with only two cracks about 2" long.............Until about a week longer when they both grew to be about 12" long.

Go very very slow and resist the urge to pry.

------------------
Jeff L
#74 ITB GTi

pgipson
03-28-2004, 04:22 PM
We have had a windshield replace day in the past where everyone with a marginal windshield (in terms of cracks anyway) went together and arranged for a local company to replace them at a discount. Allowed the installer time to get enough in to fulfill the need, show up to one place on a Saturday and do 10 or 12 windshields. We got a discount from the normal "cash" price and I recall we paid about $125 or 150 per car.

[This message has been edited by pgipson (edited March 28, 2004).]

Jake
03-28-2004, 06:58 PM
Which brings up a good point. Call around first. Usually windshiled guys will come out and install a new windshield for about the same price as a new Hoosier. (around $165 or so). It's not as expensive as you'd think.

ddewhurst
10-05-2004, 03:28 PM
Info ya all need to know.

On my return trip from the Runoffs at approx 2:20 a.m Monday on Interstate 94 several miles north of downtown Chicago in cruise at 75 mph (minmal traffic) in the center lane of three lanes this ol deprived minority is sitting on the right side guard rail & starts runing across the parking lane, I swerve left into the far lane. I presume the dumb a$$ is trying to commit suicide. Nope, the worthless piece of $hit stoped in the 1st lane & threw something. Needless to say he hit what he was aiming for. I didn't hit the brakes & let him know he hit my truck. & I wasn't going to stop & let him have my truck.

Worthless prick..............

Now to what ya all need to know. The windshield was changed at my home in less than 30 minutes. Triumph Auto Glass did the job & they have this tool to slice the old sealer that is nothing more than a thin paddle (they have a short & long stemed paddel) stuck into a modified Saber Saw. Can you say 5 minutes to cut 360* around the entire windshield. Without cracking the windshield anymore than it was. $230 complete..............

Have Fun http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif
David

[This message has been edited by ddewhurst (edited October 05, 2004).]

tderonne
10-05-2004, 03:41 PM
Didn't used to be a rule. But there is now. Something about how race officials can require a windshield to be replaced if it's deemed a hazard. No desciption of what would be considered hazardous though.

Don't have my 2004 GCR handy. Anyone find where they stuck the new rule?

x-ring
10-05-2004, 04:43 PM
11.2.1 (W): Officials may require the replacement of windshields that are considered a safety hazard.

If someone brought me a car with a cracked windshield, or if I noticed it in impound, I wouldn't do anything about it unless the crack was really long, in front of the driver, or if the break was a stone hit that was more serious than a normal 'bull’s-eye'. Your tech inspector may think differently.

tdw6974
10-05-2004, 06:35 PM
[quote]Originally posted by ITSRX7:
[B]I have a chip in my window - out of the line of sight. No spider cracks, just a large chip.

Andy, call a local glass company( check with your friendly insurance agent for a suggestion) and get the chip repaired and should stop it from cracking leading to replacement.

------------------
Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1980 RX-7 ITA #63
"Hemi Haulin' Rotary"

Tristan Smith
10-05-2004, 07:02 PM
If it's near the top of the windshield, put one of those vinyl winshield banners on. It won't stop it from cracking, but tech folks won't be able to see it, and no eyebrows should be raised about it.

------------------
Tristan Smith
Buffalo's Southwest Cafe
ITA Nissan 240sx #56