PDA

View Full Version : Roll Cage, Bar, and Heater Box

Ron Earp
09-28-2004, 07:20 AM
My car is heading to the cage builder next week. The builder asked if I wanted a horizontal dash bar, which I do, but it want to make sure what will happen is legal.

The tranny tunnel in the JH is VERY high. The seats were high, and, the tunnel is so high that if you sit on the floor with no seats you cannot see over the dash and the tunnel is at your chest height.

The heater and vent box sits right on top of the tunnel. So, if I want a horizontal crash bar this thing cannot be in the car. The box is metal, huge, and will have to go to have a bar.

I think this is legal, but want to check it here before I give Chris the go ahead to cut it out.

Thanks much,
Ron

------------------
Ron
http://www.gt40s.com
Lotus Turbo Esprit
BMW E36 M3
RF GT40 Replica
Jensen-Healey: IT prep progressing!

JeffYoung
09-28-2004, 07:27 AM
Hmmm...you have my rule book, so I don't have it in front of me, but I think you have to keep the heater box BUT you can move it to allow for the dash bar.

Is that right?

Ron Earp
09-28-2004, 07:39 AM
Yes, it says move it. But, unless I just pull it out and bolt it to the floor, there is nowhere to move it. Might be able to hole it and run the tube through it. The bar is important to me, a safety issue, while this box is, well, I don't know why the box must stay. Under the pretense that we're all running street cars we drive daily??? Ha Ha. A rather worthless rule IMHO. Personally, I think all that mess should be free to gut.

------------------
Ron
Lotus Turbo Esprit
BMW E36 M3
RF GT40 Replica

[This message has been edited by rlearp (edited September 28, 2004).]

jc836
09-28-2004, 07:59 AM
IMHO you are NOT allowed to move or modify the heater assembly. There have been those who have interpreted the rule very liberally. I wound up with the dash bar above the cluster in the CRX because I wanted to have the heater controls available-it was still a street legal car as well. I do suspect that many of the rules were written with the premise of "street car" in mind. I also do not think you can gore or relocate to a non-standard location.
Your best move is to call Jeremy in Topeka.

------------------
Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'99 Prelude=a sweet song
'03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow

Ron Earp
09-28-2004, 09:19 AM
We'll figure something out.

But, "street car" - I am willing to bet my JH will be one of a handful of IT cars WITH a current inspection AND a valid tag!

I'm emissions exempt, so, I think I can pull this off as long as my lights, wipers, horn, etc work.

Ron

------------------
Ron
Lotus Turbo Esprit
BMW E36 M3
RF GT40 Replica

apr67
09-28-2004, 09:32 AM
I don't think you can remove it.

But I don't see any reason why you can not cut a hole and have the bar run through it.

lateapex911
09-28-2004, 09:36 AM
I would do what ever I could to work with it.

Setting aside the discussion of whether it is a good rule or not, there is no provision for the wholesale tossing of it.

I used a holesaw and slit my box, then taped up the oversizes holes after installation so my heater system would work.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

ChrisCamadella
09-28-2004, 09:49 AM
I believe that you can certianly cut the part of the box through which the bar passes, although I do agree with the others that you have to make some sort of good faith effort to keep the bits not affected by the bar. I personally don't see any provision in the rules to move it to a new location.

The magic rule that applies here is ITCS 17.1.4.D.9.f: "Other than to provide for the installation of required safety equipment or other authorized modifcations, no other driver/passenger compartment alterations or gutting are permitted..."

Since the bar is allowed, cutting the box around the box is also allowed, per the above rule. Have fun with hole saws.

I do not see anywhere in the rules where it suggests that you move the box in order to accomodate the roll cage structure - it may say that, but I can't seem to find it.

Cheers,

Chris Camadella
ITS Porsche 944S

BTW, I don't know where you race. But if you race here in the Northeast (or, I suspect, the same is true in the North Anything), you will find that during that race in October when it is cold and raining outside, that having the defroster working is a very handy thing. It's amazing how much more competitive you can be when you can see out of the car.

[This message has been edited by ChrisCamadella (edited September 28, 2004).]

joeg
09-28-2004, 10:08 AM
Chris--I believe the vehicle is an open car, so a defroster is moot.

I agree about making a good faith effort to keep components intact, however. You can make stuff fit, regardless.

Cheers.

Ron Earp
09-28-2004, 10:18 AM
I was going from memory on the rule of moviing it, need to check again. But, I think we can just work with the blasted thing and keep it, but with a hole or notch.

You are correct, I don't need a defroster since the JH is an open car. Makes life nice I think for working on it, very accessible.

------------------
Ron
Lotus Turbo Esprit
BMW E36 M3
RF GT40 Replica