PDA

View Full Version : New Belt Rule

Mark LaBarre
07-22-2004, 06:48 PM
Hey All,
It appears that after a several year absence, I'll prbably be running an event next month. So, What exactly is the rule change concerning Belts? My set is dated 4 years ago, so I'll be getting a new one (and a GCR) but for now, enlighten me?

Banzai240
07-22-2004, 06:59 PM
Pretty simple...

Belts are only good for two years now (you can read the details in the August Fastrack), unless they are FIA approved belts, in which case they are good for 5 years. 5-points are OK for now, but after 2007, they will no longer be allowed (only 6 or 7-points)...

benracin
07-23-2004, 03:37 PM
Now that I just bought my new FIA 5 point they will probably switch to 6 point next year. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

sorry, couldn't resist.

Ben.

Mike Spencer
07-23-2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Banzai240:
5-points are OK for now, but after 2007, they will no longer be allowed (only 6 or 7-points)...

OK, I'm stupid http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/frown.gif I just can't seem to figure out where a 7-point harness would go. Is there REALLY such a thing??? http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/confused.gif

------------------
Mike Spencer
NC Region
ITA/7 RX-7 (finally)
1990 RX-7 Convertible (street car)

Eagle7
07-23-2004, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Mike Spencer:
OK, I'm stupid http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/frown.gif I just can't seem to figure out where a 7-point harness would go. Is there REALLY such a thing??? http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/confused.gif
5 point has one anti-sub strap in the crotch.
6 point replaces the single crotch strap with 2 straps, each running from the lap belt attachment point, under the leg, and up to the lap belt.
7 point adds the crotch strap back in.

------------------
Marty Doane
ITS RX-7 #13
CenDiv WMR

Mike Spencer
07-23-2004, 04:44 PM
AAAAAAAAAAH!

So in a 7-point, there are almost as many belts protecting the..... ummmm..... GENE POOL, as there are the whole rest of our bodies!

Well, I *GUESS* that's a good thing! http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/rolleyes.gif

(Sorry! It's been a loooooong day at work)

------------------
Mike Spencer
NC Region
ITA/7 RX-7 (finally)
1990 RX-7 Convertible (street car)

John Herman
07-23-2004, 05:37 PM
I just started using a 6pt harness after using a 5pt for 8+ years. I feel more secure with the 6pt. The issue with the 5pt was, as the shoulder belts were tightened, the angle of the crotch strap caused the lap belt to pull away from my body slighlty. Therefore, to feel the best, it was if I had to overtighten the lap belt to account for this "relaxation". (Note: I use a MOMO racing seat with the holes for the lap and crotch strap.) As the straps are tightened on the 6pt, the belts as a whole seem to pull the entire body against the seat. The only thing to be careful of, is to make sure everything is "situated" properly before tightening the straps. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/eek.gif For those of you like me who weren't sure how to hook up the crotch strap on the 6pt, just hook it up to the same point as the lap belt. Run it through the same slots as the lap belt. You then "sit" on the belt, and attach everything like the 5pt. Because you eliminate an attachment point to the body, it is slightly easier to install.

Knestis
07-23-2004, 11:04 PM
With the 6-point option, the straps run essentially exactly like a parachute or climbing harness, around the meaty part of you thighs rather then your dainty bits. If you've never tried one, you will instantly like it better, I'll bet...

K

Mark LaBarre
07-24-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Knestis:
.....rather then your dainty bits. ...

K

Am I the only one who finds this term funny ?

C. Ludwig
07-24-2004, 11:56 AM
After not having my "dainty bits" organized properly at Mid-Ohio and enduring some serious discomfort for a whole session (and then some) I welcome the switch to a 6-point!

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

Greg Amy
07-24-2004, 01:10 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\"> Am I the only one who finds this term funny ?</font>

We don't laugh at Kirk's jokes any more, it only encourages him further...

lateapex911
07-24-2004, 04:15 PM
Who's calling my bits "Dainty"???

Harrruumph!

Indeed! http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/rolleyes.gif

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Knestis
07-24-2004, 06:47 PM
Either, (a)I got that term from an ancient episode of Monte Python's Flying Circus, (B) I know my limitations, or © both.

K

Eagle7
07-24-2004, 09:56 PM
I've got a cam-lock 5 point. Never looked at a 6 or 7 point. How do the under-leg belts attach at the center? Seems like I've heard that they attach to the lap belts (rather than to the cam lock), and that they could be added to a 5 point. I'm trying to figure out how that could work and still remain quick-release - especially on the lap belt that is permanently attached to the cam lock.

Thanks,

------------------
Marty Doane
ITS RX-7 #13
CenDiv WMR

Bill Miller
07-24-2004, 10:24 PM
I've got a question about the new rule. I've got a Kirkey road race seat that has a center hole for the anti-sub belt. How is a 6 or 7 pt belt going to work any different for me than a 5 pt belt, if all of those belts are going to come up through the same center hole?

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

Knestis
07-24-2004, 10:25 PM
There are two basic designs - the "loop and D-ring" and "snap in." The snap-in style has two straps that run from the same pick-up points as the lap belts to a common metal tab that pokes into the bottom of the buckle. There are different types of tabs that differ in the angle at which they meet. This arrangement is typically thought of as an endurance harness.

The loop and D-ring type has two individual straps that run from the pick-ups and through rings sewed to the laps, which are then captured by the lap tabs in the buckle. These are WAY comfortable but are slow to get in and out of.

L

Bill Miller
07-24-2004, 10:40 PM
Kirk,

I understand that, but how will there be any difference if all of the belts come up through the center of the seat, in the front? Sure, they'll have more attachment points, but how will the way they are 'presneted' to the buckle be different than w/ a 5-pt?

------------------
SCCA 279608

Eagle7
07-24-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Knestis:
There are two basic designs - the "loop and D-ring" and "snap in." The snap-in style has two straps that run from the same pick-up points as the lap belts to a common metal tab that pokes into the bottom of the buckle. There are different types of tabs that differ in the angle at which they meet. This arrangement is typically thought of as an endurance harness.
So the common tab plugs into the same spot in the camlock as my 5-point crotch strap does. Got it.

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">The loop and D-ring type has two individual straps that run from the pick-ups and through rings sewed to the laps, which are then captured by the lap tabs in the buckle. These are WAY comfortable but are slow to get in and out of.</font>
Yikes, didn't follow that one. I think I got the D-ring part. Maybe you're not describing a camlock?

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">L</font>
Who are you and what have you done with Kirk? http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

------------------
Marty Doane
ITS RX-7 #13
CenDiv WMR

bldn10
07-25-2004, 10:04 AM
I recently bought the G-Force FIA 5-point and then substituted a double-point sub belt. Lot's cheaper than buying a 6-point plus it will probably sneak by tech in 2007 even though the sub belt is not FIA rated. Don't tell.

Knestis
07-25-2004, 01:28 PM
Oops. I left out that the crotch straps on a 6-pt. system follow the lap belts through the side holes in the seat. You sit on them. With some systems, the buckle can be attached to the V-shaped anti-sub strap assembly, with the laps and shoulders plugging in to it, or the latch may be on a lap, with the crotch tab (at the point of the V) plugging in. Look at http://www.willansharness.com/ - I have the LD6 enduro-spec harness that is like this, wiht two straps attached to a wide tab that plugs in the bottom of the camlock.

I'm talking about camlock belts in all cases. The loop-and-D-ring thing kind of has to be seen to be understood. Look at the Club 6 models on the Willans site.

BTW, I met John Fenning - the old dude who started Willans like 40 years ago - and his dedication and professionalism was enough to convince me to never buy anything but his stuff...

K

Bill Miller
07-25-2004, 02:07 PM
Ok Kirk, that makes more sense. Now, is there anything in the new belt rule that will require people to mount the belts that way?

------------------
SCCA 279608

Dave Zaslow
07-26-2004, 06:54 AM
Kirk,

I have the same Willans Harness and it is quite the quality piece. The Willans instructions call for the crotch belt call for that belt to go through the hole in the seat and then to ends fixed at or near the lap belt attachment points. No sitting on these crotch belts per their instructions.

If anyone wants to take a look I can send a pdf of the instructions.

Dave Z

John Herman
07-26-2004, 07:42 AM
Marty, stop by and look at my car some time to see how everything hooks up. My belts are a camlock design. The lap belt looks the same as the 5pt. As Kirk mentioned, you don't bring the crotch strap through the seat center hole anymore. It gets brought through the side holes with the lap belt. If you are at MO this weekend stop by. There should be PLENTY of time to bench race with us being in the last session.

Knestis
07-26-2004, 08:17 AM
I confess that I haven't seen Willans' (or anyone else's) instructions recently, Dave. I'm operating on information that was provided by the manufactuer when I was working for the Willans importer back in the 1980s.

K

racer-025
07-27-2004, 02:20 PM
FYI,

Leaf manufactures all these types of belts. The one thing that I like (now that SCCA requires new belts every two years) is that you can send them back to the factory and they will re-web and re-date them for a fraction of the cost of new.

http://www.leafracewear.com/

the new 2004 Targa Newfoundland Rally belt rules now require cam-lock only (5 years). Ticks me off that I can't use the current 6 normal belts on my shelf and now I have to go out and buy 2 more sets. Doesn't make sence to me.

[This message has been edited by racer-025 (edited July 27, 2004).]

Knestis
07-27-2004, 03:35 PM
Dave Z. sent me a copy of the Willans installation instructions and they describe something different than what I have been doing for almost 20 years - on what I believe was their recommendation.

The net of this is that NOBODY out there should follow my recommendations and you should all assume that I am wrong. Follow the manufacturer's instructions regardless of any other advice.

I'm going to do my own thing. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

K

grjones1
07-27-2004, 03:55 PM
I'm going to do my own thing. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

K[/B]
Does that include playing with your little dainties?

Sorry K, I couldn't resist.
GRJ

dyoungre
07-29-2004, 01:25 PM
BLDN10, adding a V or T may actually be legal, depending on the harness. On Willan's web site, they have the straps available. Here is their statement:

The V type crutch strap is an anti-submarining strap. It can be plugged into the 5th(lower) slot of the release mechanism. If you already have a 4 strap harness with FIA Approval you can plug in a V type crutch strap and this will make the harness an FIA Approved 6 Strap harness.

So, according to Willans, we should be able to replace just the sub strap.

------------------
Dave Youngren
NER ITA RX7 #61

bldn10
07-29-2004, 04:17 PM
I guess mine is a V. I'm suspect that is true of Willans because each strap is FIA certified. Of course, you pay a premium for that. While the 5-pt. G-Force is FIA certified, the V sub belt is not. However, I heard somewhere (probably here) that you only need 1 FIA label so I hope to get by w/ the sub belt. Whether you can add a certified Willans sub belt to a G-Force camlock, I don't know. I switched to the V sub belt after thinking about what would happen in a frontal crash. Even if the single sub belt saves your ass, it would probably do a number on your privates.

Knestis
07-29-2004, 05:52 PM
I DO feel comfortable suggesting that it might not be a good idea to mix and match harness buckle hardware among manufacturers. There is no such thing as a standard and the tolerences are at least a little tight. It would suck to have something not latch properly or stick when you are trying to get out...

K

Mark LaBarre
07-31-2004, 08:24 AM
I just recieved my Pyrotect 7 point harness with the cam lock hardware. Very nice unit, and they still re-web these for $50. If I have to replace them every 2 years, re-webbing sounds like a good thing.