PDA

View Full Version : Car Classifications

LucasMS
04-29-2004, 09:15 PM
Is there a place online where all the cars classified in IT are listed?
I didn't know if SCCA had such a thing up.

In a side note, was there a 94+ Honda Accord Classified in ITB? I know its SCCA and Hondas don't get put into ITB but I was hoping.

gran racing
04-29-2004, 11:27 PM
The car classifications are on the SCCA web site. www.scca.org (http://www.scca.org)

(Sorry, don't have the direct link)

------------------
Dave Gran
NER #13 ITA
'87 Honda Prelude

Quickshoe
05-02-2004, 09:16 PM
Any luck with a link?

I looked and didn't come up with anything. The "garage" area has the fastracks.

Anyone know of any site that has a complete up to date list of all the cars and their spec weights?

TIA

blackstarfive
05-25-2004, 08:14 PM
Does anyone race really old cars anymore? What is the oldest car in ITC for example? I have seen some old race cars like VW Beetles, 510s, and RX3s on other websites, but have not really seen them on here. Do they still run in sparse numbers? Have they been banished to the Vintage Series? Just curious after reviewing the classification page, and realizing that I don't see many of the legal cars.

Speed Raycer
05-25-2004, 09:21 PM
PFM Racing is/was running a 71(?) Fiat 124 in ITC. AFAIK, it hasn't seen the track since early 03 when Bryan Cohn drove it to a win at Gateway.

Bill Miller
05-25-2004, 09:29 PM
The PL-510 is still one of THE cars to have in ITC.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

Knestis
05-25-2004, 09:53 PM
I have LONG thought that a well-built 124 Sport Coupe would be a racuous ITC car. The effort would require all of the dead Fiats in the USA be brought together in one back yard but...

K

JeffYoung
05-25-2004, 11:01 PM
Ridiculously Raucous Rust Bucket, yes it would. Wow...a 124 Coupe....haven't even seen one in a JUNKYARD in a long time.

To answer the question, there's probably more early 70s iron racing than you would think. I know of a couple of Opel Mantas and an Opel GT in the Northeast racing. Down south we have at least 3 RX3s, one in MARRS and two in SARRC. There is a smattering of 2002s in most regions, all of which are early 70s cars., and some of which are competitive. There are still some good looking Datsun 510s, and even a B210, running around.

But the flagship for the dinosaur crowd has to be the Volvo 142. There are three of them that run up frontin ITB here in the SEDiv. Great sounding flying bricks.

Never seen a VW Beetle race car. Not sure that I want to.

cherokee
05-26-2004, 12:20 AM
The old cars have soooo much more style, more pinach more flair just ask any of us building or driving one. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif
They also attract attention...and we all like to be the center of attention http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

lateapex911
05-26-2004, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by JeffYoung:
Never seen a VW Beetle race car. Not sure that I want to.

The Beetle has the distinction of being the first car to flip at Lime Rock, (in the downhill) at the tracks first ever event, an SCCA school, in 1957.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Greg Amy
05-26-2004, 09:36 AM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">Never seen a VW Beetle race car. Not sure that I want to.</font>

There was one running IT in Texas Region in the late 80's, early 90's. Nice guy, but the car wasn't suited to racing. His biggest problem was (drum) brakes; he kept wearing through and separating the lip from the hub *each session*.

It was interesting to watch him, it actually looked fun! Never saw much after that, though.

Greg

JohnRW
05-26-2004, 12:07 PM
Dan Patelson used to run a Beetle ("Herbert")in GT-5, mostly in NEDiv Nat'ls, up until about 5 years ago, and I think he took it to the RunOffs at least once. Not fast, but it had character. He ran Datsun 1200 ("Otis") the last few years, also in GT5, and had a great dice going at the RunOffs in 2003 until he broke a suspension piece.

Dan passed away this spring, but everytime I see an old Beetle, I think of him.

[This message has been edited by JohnRW (edited May 26, 2004).]

Knestis
05-27-2004, 02:26 AM
There was a GT Beetle running in Oregon in the '80s, with ICSCC. We ran an enduro that it entered and they popped and installed two additional engines (blew up a total of three) during the race, before giving up. Oiled the crapola out of the track, to the degree that a lot of the WMRRA motorcycle guys who showed up the next day didn't even practice.

K

jhooten
05-27-2004, 09:57 AM
Talked to the webmaster yesterday. The car classification database is off the website TFN. He said it was way out dated. They are working on a new more user friendly application. No date for it's return.

Knestis
05-27-2004, 11:33 AM
It should only take a couple of days for a clever person to build a database-driven page that loads the actual content out of an electronic version of the GCR.

A TRULY effective use of the technology would include a form system for members to report and correct errors, and provide documentation to support them.

Combine this with an email subcription system to provide licensed tech people with up-to-the-minute specs and we'd have fewer issues with the rulebook.

K

CaptainWho
05-27-2004, 12:34 PM
Kirk, do you know of an electronic version of the GCR other than the PDF that comes on the CD? Since PDF is a bastardized Postscript format, I can't see it being all that easy to reliably pick out the classification tables from the rest of the data in the PDF file. The basic database application, after you have the data, is no big deal at all.

------------------
Doug "Lefty" Franklin
NutDriver Racing (http://www.nutdriver.org)

Knestis
05-27-2004, 03:39 PM
Sorry - I meant a *mythical* electronic databased version of the IT specs pages portion of the GCR...

K

CaptainWho
05-27-2004, 04:24 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">Sorry - I meant a *mythical* electronic databased version of the IT specs pages portion of the GCR...</font>

:-) That's virtual in computer geek land.

------------------
Doug "Lefty" Franklin

Banzai240
05-27-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by CaptainWho:
:-) That's virtual in computer geek land.

Just a point of reference... The GCR spec lines begin life as Excel files I believe... Jeremy sent the ITAC a copy of them for IT to review for the 2004 copy of the GCR... I'm pretty sure that this is what they use to build the specs, then they convert them later for publishing... I would HATE to have to do it the other way around...

------------------
Darin E. Jordan
SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
Renton, WA
ITS '97 240SX
http://home.comcast.net/~djjordan/Web/DJ_AV1.jpg

racerdave600
05-27-2004, 06:58 PM
My Buddy Steve Hoelscher (4-Time DSP solo II champ in a Fiat) sold his long time 124 Coupe to a guy in Brazil, said he had been looking forever for one.

Another friend just sold his G(?) Production X1/9 to a guy in Austrailia to fund his Spec Miata. Evidently their rules let them do quite a bit more to the motor, and X1/9s are the car to have...humm

My old Fiat 600D just went across the country to Utah..I feel cheated somehow...

Anyway, I seem to remember a guy running a 124 Coupe in ITB I think years ago. I seem to remember he did ok. Not counting Steve's, I can't remember the last time I saw a real live one.

As for older cars, we do have a member that runs an RX3 in ITA. Last year was his first year, and his first race this year will be in Memphis this weekend. Brakes aren't great, but it's very quick in a straight line.

Dave

CaptainWho
05-27-2004, 07:32 PM
Darin, if someone on the SCCA HQ side would be willing, there's probably enough computer geek knowledge around here for someone (or several someones) to turn those Excel files into an online database that wouldn't be terrible to keep updated.

------------------
Doug "Lefty" Franklin

Knestis
05-27-2004, 08:09 PM
With XML web majik, there could be one dataset that was the "official" spec-line information for IT - or any other class for that matter. It could be called to a dynamic web form for ready access online and when it comes time to publish, all they need to do is write the data to preformatted layout form in PDF or whatever...

The same could be done for FasTracks, so we wouldn't have to try to read columns of text on screen. Write-once, output-aay-damn-way-you-want content is really cool if the folks in charge can shake a paper-publishing mentality.

K

CaptainWho
05-27-2004, 10:11 PM
If they send us the Excel files (or put them on the Web somewhere), we'd do the work to get XML or whatever else out of them. That way, HQ doesn't have to supply manpower to handle.

------------------
Doug "Lefty" Franklin

Mike Spencer
06-01-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by LucasMS:
Is there a place online where all the cars classified in IT are listed?
I didn't know if SCCA had such a thing up.

In a side note, was there a 94+ Honda Accord Classified in ITB? I know its SCCA and Hondas don't get put into ITB but I was hoping.

The '79 - '83 Accord 1.7l is classed in ITB, but the '95 - '97 EX Coupe is still in SSC. Nothing on the '94. Sorry!

------------------
Mike Spencer
NC Region
1986 RX-7 Build In-Process
1990 RX-7 Convertible in the driveway

oanglade
06-02-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by blackstarfive:
Does anyone race really old cars anymore? What is the oldest car in ITC for example? I have seen some old race cars like VW Beetles, 510s, and RX3s on other websites, but have not really seen them on here.

I raced an ITA RX2 a few years ago in Texas. Finding parts for it was like going on an archeological expedition, especially body parts. It was (is?) fun and fast, but it sure didn't like slowing down!

------------------
Ony Anglade
ITA Miata
Sugar Hill, GA

Tom Donnelly
06-02-2004, 11:59 AM
If someone would e-mail me a copy of the .pdf, its not that difficult to convert it back to an excell document. Or is it proprietary information?

Tom
[email protected]

Knestis
06-02-2004, 12:20 PM
The PDF version of the GCR is copyrighted, even if it's not truly "proprietary."

K

Jake
06-04-2004, 03:37 PM
Just stumbled onto this...

http://www.sff.net/people/dburkhead/ITRacing.htm

Jake
06-04-2004, 04:46 PM
BTW, I've converted the 2004 rulebook car classifications to an Excel file. For anyone who has purchased the GCR, I'd be happy to email you a copy of the converted file.

Bill Miller
06-04-2004, 04:48 PM
Jake,

That's an interesting list, but there's a lot of incorrect/incomplete information.

Kirk,

IIRC, somebody had hosted the .pdf version of the GCR, and was asked to take it down.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

Jake
06-04-2004, 07:32 PM
Bill - correct - it's a good idea but it has lots of errors. I like the "mail corrections part". Perhaps me or someone else can host my excel spreadsheet version of the 2004 classification list and keep it updated. I'd add stock HP and (stock lb)/(hp) to it. Then we can open a thread here for corrections to it.

Jake
06-04-2004, 07:34 PM
BTW - Tom Blaney put up the PDF GCR on his site - a big no no. However, I think putting the IT car classifications up on a site shouldn't be a problem.

gran racing
06-04-2004, 07:44 PM
It would be interesting to see this information sorted by the lowest weight/hp.

Since it would be very difficult to track wins across the nation, maybe use the past ARRC results (include the past 5 years)?

------------------
Dave Gran
NER #13 ITA
'87 Honda Prelude

Jake
06-04-2004, 10:09 PM
OK - I finally did it. On my homepage at www.racerjake.com (http://www.racerjake.com) there is a link to the classifications of all IT cars in XLS format. I didn't add many of the HP numbers, but between us I'm sure we can do it.