PDA

View Full Version : Chassis Reinforcement?

KiNG
05-25-2004, 02:35 AM
I have a TRD front and rear strut tower bar and a Tanabe 4-point front underbrace. Which of these, if any, can be installed on my '91 ITS MR2?

And my rollcage is an Autopower 6-point bolt-in type. Theres no welding, is it ok? And I don't have those two bars extended to the fire wall, is it necessary?

And what if my window net is not mounted on the rollcage?

Thank you!

x-ring
05-25-2004, 09:26 AM
First off, you really need to get a GCR. Remember that nothing anyone posts here is going to carry any weight with tech.

Anyway, and off the cuff, I don't think the rear bar is legal, I'm sure the front bar is, and I have no idea what a 4-point underbrace is. A bolt in cage is legal, but there may be some issue with the area or thickness of the mounting pads. I don't have my GCR handy, but you need to check to make sure that the bar material is of the required diameter and thickness. Also, I don't think ERW tubing is allowed on newly registered cars. In any case rule 18 is the section you need to consult in your GCR.

As for the window net, I'm almost sure it must be attached to the cage. Check toward the end of rule 17 (17.27 maybe?). I don't think a net is strictly required, I believe you can use arm restraints instead.

Good luck and good racing.

(edited for fat fingers)

------------------
Ty Till
#16 ITS
Rocky Mountain Division

[This message has been edited by x-ring (edited May 25, 2004).]

ddewhurst
05-25-2004, 09:48 AM
GCR 17.30.

Window safety neets SHALL be used on the drivers side window of all closed cars.

Nets shall be atached to the roll cage.

Have Fun http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif
David

joeg
05-25-2004, 10:43 AM
You can select either a top strut bar or a "front stayrod" between the lower suspension mounting points. This is in the ITCS--which you should obtain.

I don't know if your piece qualifies as such.

It does not appear you can add chassis reinforcement stuff to the rear.

Good luck!

x-ring
05-25-2004, 06:58 PM
"GCR 17.30.
Window safety neets SHALL be used on the drivers side window of all closed cars."

I stand corrected. Thanks Dave.