PDA

View Full Version : Helmet ratings

powerslide91
05-08-2004, 11:54 PM
The helmet I currently use is rated SA2000. It is in good shape but I find it a bit uncorfortable. I'm thinking of replacing it but am worried that the required rating will bump up soon, meaning I'll have to shell the money twice in a couple of years.

Do the rating bump every 5 years, so we will bump in the next year or two?

Thanks,
Jeff

bobpink
05-09-2004, 12:47 AM
A SA2000 rated helmet will be legal for quite a while yet. SCCA allows them to be used for 10 years after their release. Buy a new one now and use it through 2010 if you like.

------------------
Bob Pinkowski
Atlanta Region SCCA
OPM Autosports
ITS Honda Prelude (for sale)

[This message has been edited by bobpink (edited May 09, 2004).]

Quickshoe
05-09-2004, 01:27 AM
Or wait a little bit and buy a SA2005 which will be good until 2015.

Make sure you store it properly.

Geo
05-09-2004, 03:04 AM
Actually what is typically allowed is the currect rating and the previous one in club racing. It may or may not be 10 years. That depends upon when the ratings come out (for instance if they are late with one and early with another).

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX
84 944 ITS car under construction
92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
http://www.nissport.com

bobpink
05-09-2004, 10:17 AM
George you are correct and I should have been a little clearer about the "10 years". If you bought a SA95 a year ago you would only be able to use it for about another year.

------------------
Bob Pinkowski
Atlanta Region SCCA
OPM Autosports
ITS Honda Prelude (for sale)

pgipson
05-09-2004, 12:59 PM
Helmets built to meet the Snell SA2005 standards will go on sale after 1 Oct 2005. This is from the Snell Foundation web site.

Snell helmet standard (http://www.smf.org/stdsdraft.html)

lateapex911
05-09-2004, 01:37 PM
I have a question...a bit OT, sorry.

How many people actually use the same helmet for 10 years???

Umm, like kinda gross, you know?

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

apr67
05-09-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by lateapex911:

I have a SA 95, and I've been racing since 96. My helmet is still very nice. Why replace good saftey equipment? Take care of your stuff. I also still have my first set of gloves, and my first suite, and I use them all every race weekend.

Alan

Quickshoe
05-09-2004, 11:17 PM
Well, I haven't had the opportunity to yet. But if I can keep from landing on my lid (about 1/3 of my racing "career" has been in open wheel, started, mid and currently) I'll do it. I'll just buy a new balaclava every year or two, store it in a helmet bag, probably go through a few shields though.

Happy Mother's Day to any mothers out there!

Geo
05-10-2004, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by lateapex911:

Hehe.

Well, I had an SA90 that I used for about 8 years. I bought it for what turned out to be my last season of karting and I didn't use it for a number of years until I started club racing. In that time it saw about what was two years worth of use (from a karting perspective where 18 races a season was typical).

I will tell you, when they say a helmet is only good for about 5 years regardless of use, I'm not a believer. When I bought a new Bell Sport II to replace my old one, I could absolutely not believe just how bad the old one was (condition of the foam and other materials) despite relatively little use. It was scary and I'm sold on pretty much replacing my helmet every 5 years regardless of how much or how little use.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX
84 944 ITS car under construction
92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
http://www.nissport.com

joeg
05-10-2004, 07:32 AM
Mine is a 95 Snell and is in fine shape. No need to change it unless required by the rules.

I also have a spare Nomex suit that is over 20 years of age!! Just keep things clean and do not roll around in the dirt and grass with them.

Cheers