PDA

View Full Version : SSB -> ITA and wheel widths

nlevine
05-01-2004, 02:38 PM
I know there was a whole thread recently on wheel widths, but I just encountered a new wrinkle that may cost a fair bit of change.

I'm starting to set up a BMW Z3 for ITA and I picked up an ex-SSB car as a starting point. The car came with 16x8 wheels as was allowed in the SSS for that car (which of course, I just read). ITA max. allowable width is 7in. Shame on me for not researching the issue more completely, but any thoughts about "grandfathering" a wheel size so I could run the allowable Showroom Stock configuration in IT? Otherwise, I've got to sell two sets of nice wheels that came with the car and buy more wheels. Not a huge issue, but a bit of a hassle. I would think that a smoother transition from SS to IT would make it easier to get the new cars out there (unless that's entirely the point http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/tongue.gif).

-noam

Knestis
05-01-2004, 02:45 PM
You are only the first, I expect. It would be an interesting exercise - and might save you some $$ - if you were to write a request that this be addressed. I am assuming that the 8" wheels are the standard OE width for the car.

The real question is whether you ask for (a) an exception to the general rule, to allow you to run the stock size, or (B) a change in the max width rule.

They are equally unlikely at this point, in my opinion, but the CRB is going to have to deal with this issue at some point in the immediate future. The answer might well be, "sucks to be you."

K

lateapex911
05-01-2004, 03:10 PM
I think this should be adressed by a letter to the CRB, ITAC, and BoD as part of an overall strategy.

Times have changed. When IT was born, no SS car was available with 8" wide rims, and the 7" rule was part of a performance upgrade and equilizing measure. Now, you're faced with "performance downgrading"!

It will open a whole can of worms if they were to allow it, but if they were, the only way, IMO, would be to allow it s a line item at the initial classification, and the weight would be set accordingly.

In a way, it makes sense from a weight setting standpoint, as the only known competition history (SS) of the model was performed on the wider rims, and setting weights for the car to run in IT on a narrower rim increases conjecture and ultimately increases the liklihood that the cars weight won't be set correctly.

Now, as an ITA competitor, Norm, I would have issues with you being allowed a wider rim, but thats because we are, at this point, past the classification period. And I have enough overdog competiton to deal with!

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Geo
05-01-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Knestis:
You are only the first, I expect. It would be an interesting exercise - and might save you some $$ - if you were to write a request that this be addressed. I am assuming that the 8" wheels are the standard OE width for the car.

Wow, so I may be able to use my stock 8" wide wheels on my 944?

I doubt seriously this is a new issue. But I wouldn't mind being able to use my stock 8" Fuchs wheels.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX
84 944 ITS car under construction
92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
http://www.nissport.com

Geo
05-01-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by lateapex911:
Times have changed. When IT was born, no SS car was available with 8" wide rims...

OK, at the time IT was born there may not have been any SS cars available with 8" wide wheels, but shortly afterwards the 944 was available with 8" wide rear wheels from the factory.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX

Jake
05-01-2004, 08:53 PM
You aren't the first with this problem. I thought that ITB Mustangs had already made requests to use their stock 7" wide wheels and have been shot down.

Knestis
05-01-2004, 09:20 PM
It struck me this evening that if the RX7 hadn't been moved to ITA - paving the way for 7" wheels - you'd likely be shopping for 18x6" wheels. THAT would be fun.

K

lateapex911
05-01-2004, 09:39 PM
Refresh my memory Kirk...was ITA originally a 6" class? (hey! hey..none of that!) The RX-7 was available only with 5.5" wheels from the factory.

How did this all play out?

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Knestis
05-01-2004, 10:54 PM
When IT was new - and 6" aftermarket wheels were considered pretty wide - that was the maximum width allowed in A, B, and C.

When the first-gen RX7 got moved to A from S, it got to keep the 7" wheels and, to keep the peace, the entire class got that allowance. At least that's the way I remember it being explained when the change happened.

K

[This message has been edited by Knestis (edited May 01, 2004).]

lateapex911
05-02-2004, 12:12 AM
Hmmmmm.

Interesting. That sets a precedence.

I wonder if a similar move should be considered now, and to keep the peace, ITB gets 7" wheels?

If it worked then....

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

SubieSethie
05-02-2004, 03:26 PM
Okay, so what is the max rim width that can be used in the IT classes? Is there a weight minimum?

Later,
Seth E.

ITSRX7
05-02-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by SubieSethie:
Okay, so what is the max rim width that can be used in the IT classes? Is there a weight minimum?

Later,
Seth E.

Yes, and Yes.

ITS and ITA have 7" max, ITB and ITC have 6" max. Each car has a minimum weight. You would need the current rulebook to get all that info. If you are building, you need one ASAP!

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region
www.flatout-motorsports.com (http://www.flatout-motorsports.com)

SubieSethie
05-02-2004, 06:18 PM
I am not currently building a car for any IT class. A buddy of mine is rebuilding an old ITA Toyota Corolla GT-S to its former glory. Every chance I get, I flip through his copy of the the GCR. I was just wondering what the general rules for wheels are in IT. It looks like they have to be of stock size, 7-6" wide(depending on class), be contained within the fenders, etc. The only think I am not sure about is if there is a minimum weight for the wheels.

Thanks,
Seth E.

lateapex911
05-02-2004, 06:22 PM
Nope...go as light as you want.

Will your buddy run the car? Sounds like he will, good!

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Bill Miller
05-02-2004, 07:26 PM
I agree, this is probably only the first of many issues to come up like this. Also, didn't this issue of wheel widths come up when the A3 Golf was moved from ITA to ITB? Was there ever any official comment? And how about all the proposed ITA -> ITB moves? I saw nothing at all about the wheel width issue.

Or, maybe this is what Darin was alluding too earlier. If I was Johnny Carson, I'd think that maybe everyone will get 15x7 or whatever the factory size is, if it's larger.

And on a side note, w/ the Z3 going from SSB to ITA, I wonder if we'll see the V6 Camaro do the same thing? Things that make you go hmmmmm......

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

Bill Miller
05-02-2004, 08:15 PM
Another thought about how this might be handled is that the CB response may be something to the effect of: "SS specs/rules have no bearing on IT specs/rules. The IT specs/rules are what they are." This is similar to what's been said about limited-prep Prod cars, even though the rules say things like "IT-prep" for the heads, etc.

------------------
SCCA 279608

Banzai240
05-02-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Bill Miller:
And on a side note, w/ the Z3 going from SSB to ITA, I wonder if we'll see the V6 Camaro do the same thing? Things that make you go hmmmmm......

I wouldn't count on it... considering the Z3 in question is the 1.9L that makes 138hp stock and the V6 is a 2.6... Urrr... correction... 3.8 Litre... Not exactly apples to apples...

As for wheel widths... when even a mention of that comes up, some people cringe, yell rules' creep, and simple don't want to discuss the matter... There was discussion about updating this matter, but it was quickly put to rest.

I said that modern technology was something that would have to be dealt with... Well, here's another example... Write your local BoD member and the CRB to let them know your thoughts on IT wheel issues...

------------------
Darin E. Jordan
SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
Renton, WA
ITS '97 240SX
http://home.comcast.net/~djjordan/Web/DJ_AV1.jpg

[This message has been edited by Banzai240 (edited May 02, 2004).]

JeffYoung
05-03-2004, 06:16 AM
Also, V6 Mustang is ITS, can't imagine the V6 Camaro would end up anywhere else.

Darin, I'm on 13X7s in ITS. Looking to pick up an extra set of wheels -- should I hold off? Sounds like changes might be afoot.....

Bill Miller
05-03-2004, 07:46 AM
Darin,

That's kind of my point. You've got SSC cars that go to ITS and SSB cars that go to ITA. And if the cars are ok to run the same class in SS, I can't believe IT prep will all of a sudden change the performance potential of one that much more than the other. Especially since there are no more trunk kits in SS.

I'm concerned about the approach to the wheel issue. Do these people just think it will go away if they ignore it? Why hasn't something been spelled out in the specs when the cars are moved/classed? Especially w/ the SS cars, it's spelled out right on the spec line what the car runs. What's going to happen if you can't get a 15" wheel on a car because it won't clear the brakes?

You talk about planning for the future. This is a pretty obvious issue that's going to need to be addressed. Wait, it already does need to be addressed.

------------------
SCCA 279608

ITSRX7
05-03-2004, 08:53 AM
Bill,

I don't think that wheel diameter will be an issue as far as brakes. 16x7, 17x7 should be fine. Now keeping with the times - how do you propose we deal with widths?

Dispacement has to be a one of the many factors in classing IT cars. With the things you can do to a piston engine in IT, you could see big numbers. That Camaro - 200hp 3.8 V6...overbore, headers, head work, I bet you are looking a a STOUT engine.

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region

Banzai240
05-03-2004, 09:12 AM
That's kind of my point. You've got SSC cars that go to ITS and SSB cars that go to ITA. And if the cars are ok to run the same class in SS, I can't believe IT prep will all of a sudden change the performance potential of one that much more than the other.

From what I can tell... SS isn't necessarily a good indicator of what should be competing with what... It appears to be a bit of a "car of the month" club...

------------------
Darin E. Jordan
SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
Renton, WA
ITS '97 240SX
http://home.comcast.net/~djjordan/Web/DJ_AV1.jpg

Geo
05-03-2004, 09:27 AM
This issue is yet another tempest in a tea pot. The 1.9 Z3 came with 7x16 wheels.

What's the problem? It was available with wider wheels from the factory? So what? So was my 20 year old 944. So was the E46 BMW. The 944 isn't allowed 8" wide wheels and neither is the E46. And rightly so.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX

Knestis
05-03-2004, 01:21 PM
As it typical with these questions, there are lots of different issues swirling around.

This instance of the policy might have proven to be a mountain rather than a mole hill - I took the original poster's question at face value, too - but the question of strategic planning on topics like this is NOT a minor one.

K

Bill Miller
05-03-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Banzai240:
From what I can tell... SS isn't necessarily a good indicator of what should be competing with what... It appears to be a bit of a "car of the month" club...

Kinda like IT, huh Darin? :D

Andy,

"head work"??? I would hardly call port-matching "head work". Do I doubt that the motor would make good power? Not for a minute. Do I think the car belongs in ITA? Not for a minute. Just trying to get my hands around how these classing decisions are made.

Like I said, it's pretty hard to even begin to figure it out when you've got SS cars in different classes, ending up in the same IT class. What makes it even more confusing is when they 'flip' like that (SSB -> ITA, SSC -> ITS).

Which IT cars are allowed to run 17" wheels? As far as what I'd do, moving forward. Pretty much what I said above. 15x7 for everyone, or stock, if larger. Some additional weight could be factored in, at classification time, to compensate for larger, wider wheels.

And while brakes may not be an issue now, they could be, down the road. Especially if cars aren't allowed to run the stock diameter wheels.

And BTW, the Skyhawk/Monza are in ITA w/ a 3.8 V6.

George,

You still didn't comment about the ITA -> ITB moves. Do all those people now have to go buy 6" wheels? What about the people that didn't want the cars moved? They've now got to go spend money to buy new wheels for their cars.

I agree w/ Kirk, these kinds of topics should be at the heart of the strategic planning for the future of IT.

Geo
05-03-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Knestis:
This instance of the policy might have proven to be a mountain rather than a mole hill - I took the original poster's question at face value, too - but the question of strategic planning on topics like this is NOT a minor one.

Kirk, I agree that strategic planning is not a minor one, and I think most of the current ITAC would agree with you. There is some going on right now, but so far all the cars classified or being currently considered for classification do not require a change of the tire rule in any way. Even the E46 was available with 17x8 wheels from the factory, but it was also available with 16" wheels an they can certainly be found in 7" widths, so a problem still does not exist from where I sit.

Predicting what will be classified in the future is a bit difficult, but nothing is planned for next year that I know of that will be a problem.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX

Geo
05-03-2004, 07:11 PM
Like I said, it's pretty hard to even begin to figure it out when you've got SS cars in different classes, ending up in the same IT class. What makes it even more confusing is when they 'flip' like that (SSB -> ITA, SSC -> ITS).

Who is to say the classifications for SS were correct? Then there is the fact that there are 2 SS classes, but 4 IT classes. And of course in IT we have more flexibility with classification weight.

Which IT cars are allowed to run 17" wheels?

Um....

None.

You still didn't comment about the ITA -> ITB moves. Do all those people now have to go buy 6" wheels? What about the people that didn't want the cars moved? They've now got to go spend money to buy new wheels for their cars.

Correct on both accounts.

I agree w/ Kirk, these kinds of topics should be at the heart of the strategic planning for the future of IT.

They are.

And don't forget there are plenty of people out there who don't want to see changes in IT. They have valid points and concerns as well.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX

lateapex911
05-03-2004, 07:30 PM

Kinda like IT, huh Darin? http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

Andy,

And BTW, the Skyhawk/Monza are in ITA w/ a 3.8 V6.

George,

Bill, a few thoughts-

1-ITA to ITB ? Yup gotta get new wheels. I think the cost of the new wheels will be partly offset by the selling of the old wheels and the fact that a car that was worthless in A now has worth in B. Will it net out? For some, not others, but it is a small price to pay for not having your ass handed back to you every weekend in peices. Tough luck to the guy who doesn't want to move, the majority is probably thrilled....

and....

2- More than many here, you show enough interest, and have been around long enough to understand the lay of the land, that you should take keyboard to email, and draft a large scope strategy idea set and let the boys at the top see and understand a more cohesive picture.

I know you are as cynical as anyone, but unless you give them your ideas, and others do as well, there can be no change. And don't try to tell me that todays SCCA is the same one of 3 years ago! Now more than perhaps ever, there are people who actually listen and consider....

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited May 03, 2004).]

Bill Miller
05-03-2004, 07:31 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">Who is to say the classifications for SS were correct? Then there is the fact that there are 2 SS classes, but 4 IT classes. And of course in IT we have more flexibility with classification weight.</font>

Ok George, when was the last time that a SS car was directly classified in ITB? I'm not even going to ask about ITC because it's pretty pointless.

Now, please explain how much more 'flexibility' IT has w/ weights, over SS.

------------------
SCCA 279608

Geo
05-03-2004, 07:49 PM
Now, please explain how much more 'flexibility' IT has w/ weights, over SS.

IT is less tied to the, ah, stock weight. Also, with more classification options we can go light in a higher class or heavier in a lower class. With some cars this doesn't work out, but it does add more flexibility.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX

Geo
05-03-2004, 07:50 PM

[This message has been edited by Geo (edited May 03, 2004).]

Geo
05-03-2004, 07:51 PM
Sorry. Hiccuped.

[This message has been edited by Geo (edited May 03, 2004).]

ITSRX7
05-03-2004, 10:19 PM

Andy,

"head work"??? I would hardly call port-matching "head work".

Shaving the head(s) for that extra compression...

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region

Bill Miller
05-03-2004, 10:31 PM
George,

Where does it say that SS weights have anything to do w/ stock weights?

Andy,

Again, hardly what I'd called 'head work'. No matter, I agree that the motor would be stout, and would probably be too much for ITA, even if the weight were close to 3400#.

------------------
SCCA 279608

gran racing
05-05-2004, 10:58 AM
"You still didn't comment about the ITA -> ITB moves. Do all those people now have to go buy 6" wheels? What about the people that didn't want the cars moved? They've now got to go spend money to buy new wheels for their cars."

Who wouldn't want their car moved from ITA to ITB???

When the decision was made to move my Prelude to ITB, I never even gave the wheel size a thought. Of course I'd have to get 6" wheels. Hmmm. Be totally uncompetitive in ITA or get 6" wheels and be competitive in ITB? Not a tough decision. Besides, we have a year to get the new wheels.

If a person doesn't want to spend much, sell the 7" rims which shouldn't be too hard and buy 6" junk yard rims. They are not hard to find. Yeah, not as good as the light 7" rims the person might of had, but don't you think they'd do better on heavy junk yard rims in the right class (ITB) then on light rims in the wrong class (ITA)?

------------------
Dave Gran
NER #13 ITA
'87 Honda Prelude