PDA

View Full Version : Window net mounts

MMiskoe
03-22-2004, 09:26 PM
A friend of mine recently got flunked on an annual tech because his window net was secured w/ a rod through the loops and hose clamps (metal worm bands) to fasten the rod to the roll cage. This is on the end that does not un-hook. Now he's got to fab up some sort of welded clip to capture the rod and get it welded to the cage.

I don't think I have ever driven a car that used anything but hose clamps to grab the rod. Am I living in a vacuum and have just been lucky with all of my previous annual techs?

How does the rest of the paddock do this?

ITSRX7
03-22-2004, 10:02 PM
GCR 17.30 page 141 2004 rulebook

Figure 4 page 147 2004 rulebook

L U C K Y ! ! !

See you at NHIS.

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region
www.flatout-motorsports.com (http://www.flatout-motorsports.com)

tims90rx7
03-22-2004, 10:59 PM
Mr. Miskoe,

Sorry to have hijacked your thread (I would have gotten nabbed on the attachment as well with the old car).

Getting back in the game this year after a short break and would like to catch up.

Shoot me your e-mail if you like.

Tim Estes
[email protected]

MMiskoe
03-22-2004, 11:45 PM
Yeah, I read that, but I always assumed that there were other acceptable ways and since it was a metal to metal method it would be fine. Car always passed that way and it doesn't say that other methods are not acceptable. Hence why I was looking for opinions.

Hope I didn't send up a flag for people to now get busted for.

joeg
03-23-2004, 08:41 AM
It's probably one of those "neatness" things because, frankly, it is tough to beat a good stainless hose clamp for strength.

A potential problem with the hose clamp is that it can catch on the net (or your driver suit) and damage them. Other than that, I have no beef with them and don't understand why a tech inspector would judge them illegal.

Cheers.

88YB1
03-23-2004, 10:43 AM
The hose clamp deal seems to be a judgement call on the part of the tech inspector. While building my car I conferred with two different inspectors. The first was addamently opposed to hose clamps. The second was indifferent. I fab'd a custom system. It passed.

Chuck

apr67
03-23-2004, 11:28 AM
Hose clamps?

I would never use hose clamps to attach a window net. I don't belive they would survive much of an impact.

On the other hand, exhaust clamps might work better.

In the old days we drilled a hole in the cage to hold the rod. Not legal any more so now we weld a tube to the cage to hold the rod. Other methods work.

Alan

gsbaker
03-23-2004, 11:42 AM
"When you disconnected the window net it just hangs there, so when I was getting out of the car a corner of my HANS device snagged on the net. The only thing that released me was that the net melted and broke." -- Jeff Altenburg

From here, about 1/3 the way down: http://www.theracesite.com/index.cfm?paget...rm_article=6482 (http://www.theracesite.com/index.cfm?pagetype=2&form_article=6482)

Two things to be learned from this:
1) The fixed end of the net should be at the bottom, and
2) If ya gotta bail, bail naked.

------------------
Gregg Baker, P.E.
Isaac, LLC
http://www.isaacdirect.com

jc836
03-23-2004, 06:32 PM
For what this is worth-we used the mounting tabs supplied by M&R with our net. They are simple pieces of steel stock with a hole in them. Each end has a spring clip to keep the rod on the tabs. We located the fixed end so that it is below the upper door bar and on the outside-this way the net drops over the window or onto the doorsill and you never contact anything related to it. You can fabricate a set of 4 tabs in less than 1 hour and have them welded up in a very short time. (pictures are available).
As to what is legal-I would rather use this setup than the various others I have seen. It is sturdy and fits neatly.

------------------
Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'99 Prelude=a sweet song
'03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow

bimmerpower
03-23-2004, 08:05 PM
I just replaced the net ( and mounting hardware ) on my car. The previous owner mounted it with some aircraft cable wrapped around the cage bar and net bar several times and secured with the cable clamps. ( basically in place of hose clamps ) this was done on both ends. ( passed annual tech every year since 97 just fine )

i dont think you will have an inspector argue that its not strong enough ( would be much stronger than weld on tabs ). I just didnt like the look of it. looks more like a hack than a professional mount. I welded on tabs on the cage tube, then the rod slides between them with clips on each end to hold it in place.

just my $.02 worth.

Wade

apr67
03-25-2004, 11:56 AM
A blanket statment like:
"bottom mounted window nets are safer" is wrong.

IF you have door bars that go as high as the door window, then maybe bottom mount makes sense.

But if your bars are lower than the window, a bottom mount net can reduce your escape window, or require you to undo the top and bottom mount.

Everything is a comprimise. Nothing saftey related happens in a vacume.

joeg
03-25-2004, 12:34 PM
But if your bars are lower than the window, a bottom mount net can reduce your escape window, or require you to undo the top and bottom mount.

Everything is a comprimise. Nothing saftey related happens in a vacume.[/B][/QUOTE]

Not going to debate "compromises", but my side bars are lower than the window line. I also attach the net to the bars and it drops from the top.

How does it work cleanly?

Easy. Buy a window net that fits (custom made height). They are really not that more expensive than the standard sized net.

Cheers.

badal
03-30-2004, 01:31 AM
I see a lot of 10 pound fire sytem bottles mounted with hose claps supplied by the mfg., so I think a hose clamp could hold a window net. I'd rather do that than drill a hole in the cage.

------------------
"Bad" Al Bell
ITC #3 Datsun 510
DC Region MARRS Series

lateapex911
03-30-2004, 03:26 AM
I took the old seat belt tabs and receivers from my car, and welded the tabs to the rods. The rods fit into holes in brackets that are welded to the cage.

Then I welded a belt tab receiver to the top of the cage at the front, and bolted the reciever complete with its mounting cable and bolt tab to the bottom of the NASCAR door bar setup.

Result? two easy to see and find buttons drop the whole thing out of the way, or I can choose either.

And it makes it easier to work on the car. Tech seems to think highly of the set up, and it was basically free!

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

apr67
03-31-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by joeg:
Easy. Buy a window net that fits (custom made height). They are really not that more expensive than the standard sized net.

Thats fine. I like using standard sizes so that I don't have to carry a spare, I can get one from someone else. Does a spare window net take much room? Nope. But every 'spare' that I can reduce adds up to alot of crap I don't haul.

Alan

sgallimo
03-31-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by apr67:
...if your bars are lower than the window, a bottom mount net can reduce your escape window...

Help, I don't understand this. How does the bottom mounted net reduce the escape window (since it will be attached to the bar that is below the window opening)?

------------------
-Scott Gallimore
-ITC #88 Pulsar

zracer22
03-31-2004, 04:41 PM
Simple solution......
My net has a quick release at top and bottom. If I happen to find myself rubber side up, the net can fall out of the way, or I can quickly remove the whole thing. Both top and bottom are secure metal to metal mounts with a seat belt latch on the bottom and a spring loaded mount on the top. Both can be released with either hand while I'm strapped in my harness.

[This message has been edited by zracer22 (edited March 31, 2004).]

Geo
03-31-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by sgallimo:
Help, I don't understand this. How does the bottom mounted net reduce the escape window (since it will be attached to the bar that is below the window opening)?

Well, my cage is going to have an X brace. A bottom mounted net will reduce the opening a the center of the X.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX
84 944 ITS car under construction
92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
http://www.nissport.com

BMW RACER
03-31-2004, 11:30 PM
Hey Alan. Just curious, why do you need a spare window net?

924Guy
04-01-2004, 10:21 AM
Hmm, I also have x-brace door bars, with my net mounted to the x-bars. My net is bottom mounted also, and I don't have any issues with it obscuring exit. While 944-specific window nets are readily available from RJS, I actually have a standard size mesh net. I like how it'll fall out of the way (though I admit what Mark has, with a release at top and bottom, is even slicker).

As an aside, with the removable steering wheel and Kirkey seat, I find it is actually _easier_ to get in and out of the car Dukes-of-Hazzard style, through the window, than if I open the door - better angle of attack into the narrow seat.

------------------
Vaughan Scott
Detroit Region #280052
'79 924 #77 ITA/GTS1
www.vaughanscott.com

Banzai240
04-01-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by MMiskoe:
A friend of mine recently got flunked on an annual tech because his window net was secured w/ a rod through the loops and hose clamps (metal worm bands) to fasten the rod to the roll cage.

I find this curious, since there are window net kits out there from some pretty well known manufactures that are DESIGNED to install with "hose-clamps"... here is an example from Schroth that comes in a couple of different styles:

http://www.hms-motorsport.com/pimg/s/Window.Net.jpg

http://www.hms-motorsport.com/ximg/1333/sc-windownet.jpg

------------------
Darin E. Jordan
SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
Renton, WA
ITS '97 240SX
http://home.comcast.net/~djjordan/Web/DJ_AV1.jpg

lateapex911
04-01-2004, 08:29 PM
I think this is one of those "Your mileage may vary" deals. I had the setup pictured, and one year I was fine. The next? Failure, 'fix before next event'......

Got a lecture on how it was my safety and....well, thats cool, I upgraded.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

grjones1
04-11-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by badal:
I see a lot of 10 pound fire sytem bottles mounted with hose claps supplied by the mfg., so I think a hose clamp could hold a window net. I'd rather do that than drill a hole in the cage.

Al, are you bringing the 510 back this year?
G. Robert (Sorry to intrude on the string.)

apr67
04-11-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by BMW RACER:
Hey Alan. Just curious, why do you need a spare window net?

Why do you need a spare anything? Incase it gets lost, forgotten at home, damaged, or whatever.

Spares, spares and more spares.

I prefer to use normal off the shelf stuff as much as possible except when their is a reasonable advantage. Its my philosophy.