PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Test Port

RR
03-15-2004, 10:34 AM
Is a fuel test port required for IT? If so is it for safety (ie required for annual tech) or adhere to rules (needed if you get impounded) after a race??

dickita15
03-15-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by RR:
Is a fuel test port required for IT? If so is it for safety (ie required for annual tech) or adhere to rules (needed if you get impounded) after a race??

yes it is required for annual tech in IT. remember if you have a fuel injected car that has a facory fuel port you just need a hose with a fitting that will tap into the factory port. you do not need to carry the hose in the car, you just need to bring it to annual tech and can keep it in your tool box and go back to the paddock to get it if asked to provide a fuel sample in impound

dick

joeg
03-15-2004, 11:47 AM
...and it has nothing to do with safety. It is for compliance checking of your fuel.

Indeed, drawing fuel around a hot race car after a track session is clearly not "super-safe"

Regards.

CaptainWho
03-15-2004, 01:49 PM
If you need one and don't want to fashion your own, I can highly recommend the folks at the fuelports.com web site.

Knestis
03-15-2004, 03:47 PM
Ditto - my year of VW Golf doesn't have a fuel pressure test port...

K

chuck baader
03-15-2004, 05:32 PM
One other most important point...the hose for the test port should extend past the fender at least 1' for obvious reasons. You don't want to be draining fule inside a hot engine bay! Chuck

CaptainWho
03-15-2004, 08:54 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">the hose for the test port should extend past the fender at least 1' for obvious reasons. You don't want to be draining fule inside a hot engine bay!</font>

The GCR & ITCS strongly recommend that the sample port not be in the engine compartment for that very reason.

Russ Myers
03-15-2004, 09:17 PM
And if you are like me and use regular unleaded gas, it drives the tests CRAZY.

Russ

Jake
03-15-2004, 09:20 PM
The fuel test port is one of the anti-saftey requirements. Let's make everyone in IT hack into their fuel lines so we can watch them leak fuel in their engine compartments! Great idea huh?

CaptainWho
03-16-2004, 01:56 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Let's make everyone in IT hack into their fuel lines so we can watch them leak fuel in their engine compartments!</font>

Well, I guess you can do that if you want. I just unhooked an AN-6 line out of the fuel pump and inserted the sample port there. It's right behind the rear tire. Tech passed it, and it doesn't risk loose fuel under the hood or near the exhaust pipes, at least on my car. It does mean getting down on the ground to take the sample, though.

JLawton
03-16-2004, 08:40 AM
Tapping into a fuel line back by the tank is very easy and a heck of a lot safer.

In case your tech is 1/2 mile from tool box, just tie wrap it to the cage. Nothing like having to run back to your tool box after a long race......

------------------
Jeff L
#74 ITB GTi

joeg
03-16-2004, 09:56 AM
[quote]Originally posted by JLawton:
[B]Tapping into a fuel line back by the tank is very easy and a heck of a lot safer.

Not if your tank is under the car and you use a stock (mechanical) fuel pump.

Cheers.

jhooten
03-16-2004, 10:06 AM
(Delete double post)

[This message has been edited by jhooten (edited March 16, 2004).]

jhooten
03-16-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by joeg:
[quote]Originally posted by JLawton:
[B]Tapping into a fuel line back by the tank is very easy and a heck of a lot safer.

Not if your tank is under the car and you use a stock (mechanical) fuel pump.

Cheers.

And the tech inspector at annual this year told me my test port is not legal because it is not in the engine compartment where he can see it is in the direct line from the pump to the injector rail. It is tapped into the tank output fitting with a T-block and the valve/hose are mounted under the back bumper.

The inspector last year said it was a very good location. You just can't make them happy.

x-ring
03-16-2004, 10:34 AM
When I hear that kind of BS (which, BTW is not very often) I nicely ask the official to show me where, in the rules, he has a problem. Usually it's a case of ignorance on his/her part or mine.

Some parts of the GCR are not clear, to say the least, and rules do change, so I find this approach works well to clear the air.

The key is to be nice about it, the part with which I sometimes have trouble, particularly if I feel like someone is jerking my chain just because they can.

------------------
Ty Till
#16 ITS
Rocky Mountain Division

Jake
03-16-2004, 11:28 AM
...for those of you who can

The fuel tank on my MR2 sits between the front seats and there is no fuel test pressure port. I had to put a T-junction in one of the fuel lines in the engine compartment. I run that line out to the rear luggage compartment.

Festus E. Simkins
03-16-2004, 11:39 AM
I have never been told that the fuel sample port had to be in the engine compartment. Heck, I don't think they (tech inspectors) care where it is. Every time I have had to give a fuel sample they made me draw it while they watched. I'm the one laying on the ground, in the rain, in the mud, getting the sample not them. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

Drive well.