PDA

View Full Version : exactly what can I remove?

zracre
02-11-2004, 05:59 PM
I have an 92 Integrals im building for ita and am about to sell the interior bits on ebay...i do not have the 04 gcr yet and was looking for clarification on what is legal to remove as far as side panels/door panels/footwell panels/fusebox panels/lower console (sttached to dash holding radio) etc...help?

planet6racing
02-11-2004, 06:23 PM
Your best bet is to wait for the GCR, read it for yourself, and make your own decisions based on your interpretation of the rules (without being -too- creative).

We could give you some advice, but our wording may be different than yours (as for what the parts are called) and you may end up selling something that you find you may need...

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing
bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

itaintegra31
02-11-2004, 07:05 PM
Bill is correct, you should wait until you get your 04 gcr. Most of what you want to remove is ok,but wait and make your own decisions. After that if you have any questions, I am racing a 92 Integra that I built before the season last year.

------------------
Ron Carroll
REC Motorsports Inc.
#35 ITA integra

[This message has been edited by itaintegra31 (edited February 11, 2004).]

Knestis
02-11-2004, 07:07 PM
What Bill said. Resist the temptation to start making it "look like a race car" (aka ripping crap out) until you have gone through the rules yourself. You'll find that you do a sort of interior triage, where you decide what can go, what has to stay, and what you have to diddle with to allow both of those things to happen...

K

Jake
02-11-2004, 07:34 PM
The GCR actually is a little vague when it comes to what is and what isn't the dashboard. I'd suggest asking people who have built the car before (maybe opening a thread at honda-tech.com)

You'll get the best results if you can post a photo of the pieces you are considering removing.

lateapex911
02-11-2004, 08:55 PM
If in doubt, leave it in! Resist the temptation to go nuts, and remember that 10 pounds isn't that big a deal.

I know, it all adds up....

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Quickshoe
02-12-2004, 12:00 AM
You can remove anything that the ITCS specifically allows AND anything that you feel you could successfully argue doesn't gain you a competitive advantage http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

The safest method would be to get the 2004 GCR and then follow Jake's advice.

joeg
02-12-2004, 08:40 AM
You can safely remove (and sell) all the seats in the car.

If you can access an '03 GCR, you can also proceed because that section has not been changed...

Have fun, but don't go nuts.

RSTPerformance
02-12-2004, 10:53 AM
"You can remove anything that the ITCS specifically allows AND anything that you feel you could successfully argue doesn't gain you a competitive advantage"

I disagree... You can remove anything that the ITCS specifically allows you to remove, but DON'T take the risk of removing something you feel wouldn't give you a competitive advantage.

Two 2lb door panels got the 2nd place ITB car disqualified at the ARRC. Not one person can tell me that the Omni had a competitive advantage by removing those door panels especially when the car still came in overweight.

Follow the GCR as best as possible. Removing “extra” stuff not in the GCR is generally NOT a “gray” area.

Raymond Blethen
RST Performance Racing

------------------
http://rstperformance.bizland.com/rstsignature.jpg
RST Performance Racing
www.rstperformance.com (http://www.rstperformance.com)
1st and 2nd 2003 ITB NARRC Championship
1st and 6th 2003 ITB NERRC Championship
3rd 2003 ITB ARRC Sprint Race
4th 2003 ITB ARRC Endoro
1st 2003 AS NERRC and NARRC Championships

zracre
02-12-2004, 11:19 AM
How about the panels that go all the way around the struts from behind the door panel to the rear and the rear one covering the taillamps. can i remove the passive restraint automatic belts on both sides? (clearance for cage) and the a/b/c pillar finishers?

Jake
02-12-2004, 11:40 AM
I would say YES, because nothing you listed could possibly be considered the "Dashboard" Basically you can remove all plastic in the interior if it is not part of the "Dashboard" or the "Door Panels"

jc836
02-12-2004, 11:48 AM
You really need the GCR. The call is free and you will then have the actual wording in your hands. Personal experience says that the interior can be gutted except for the dashboard and certain things about the doors-we were not very creative on this one as the rules do have something to say about it. You asked if the panels for the fusebox can come out-if it is part of the dash and does not have anything to do with the rollcage-NO. We did remove everything from the rear in the way of plastic panels. The doors are a very big item and I strongly suggest that you read and follow the rule exactly. Why we are required to have 0.060 Aluminum baffled my fabricator-so we left the stock panels on the car along with the window glass. I agree that for the amount of weight that you can remove-you need to be very careful.

As others have/will say you must read and ask beforehand. I talked with tech before doing anything even with the rules in front of me.

Good luck and race safe.

------------------
Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'99 Prelude=a sweet song
'03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow

lateapex911
02-12-2004, 07:57 PM
And.....keep in mind that just ONE tech inspector, who doesn't THINK what you've done is to his idea of the letter of the law, and marks your book, has created a huge procedure, that can get pretty messy.

(Ask me how I know! I had a detail on my car that matched the tech guy from another regions car (same model car), but the tech guy who was giving the car it's number thought it was weird, and noted it. (the matching car owner, chief of tech for another region was not working that event, but was called over, rallied for me, but no joy) In the end every other tech who looked at it thought it was just fine, but I had to either change it or go up the ladder)

So, whenever possible, try to get any questions resolved beforehand. A letter from Kansas will either piss off an inspector who might be in a surly (and hurried) mood, or answer a question in his mind. Play it by ear, keep the letter in your back pocket if you have it, and never try to get an annual, (esp. your first!) when you're the next race group.

And volunteering to help tech at prior events will help you see how the proccess works, and you just might make some friends along the way.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited February 12, 2004).]

Quickshoe
02-12-2004, 10:11 PM
Raymond,

Let's not go down that road again.

It was meant as humor, perhaps I shouldn't have said it, as not everyone was involved in the other thread.

m glassburner
02-17-2004, 03:53 PM
thanx raymond,he is right,door panels must remain unless you replace them with .060 aluminum! with the exception of the driver door which may be gutted when using nascar bars that go into the door!!p.s.my car had visited atlanta 4 other times before they decided to d.q. me!! but during the enduro we ran our fastest lap of the weekend with the .060 in place.go figure!!

[This message has been edited by m glassburner (edited February 22, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by m glassburner (edited February 22, 2004).]

zracre
02-21-2004, 02:33 AM
Thanks for all the useful input...Evan