PDA

View Full Version : Why aren't the rules on the internet?

Scooter
02-12-2004, 09:19 PM
Why?

that is all

Prince Makaha
02-12-2004, 09:40 PM
SCCA has few opportunities to earn money so they sell the "rulebooks".

lateapex911
02-13-2004, 12:11 AM
Also, something about controlling the distribution of their intellectual property.

I know, thats thin, but it is a concern.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Eric Parham
02-13-2004, 01:13 PM
Another reason might liability. Many non-SCCA clubs use SCCA rules to one extent or another, but under differently controlled circumstances. If a serious injury occurs and someone claims it was "because" of the SCCA rule, and that rule was published with no connection to a signed event waiver, SCCA could possibly face a serious lawsuit. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised that they'll even sell the rulebooks to non-members, but maybe that's a mistake due to the old profit motive.

benspeed
02-13-2004, 03:06 PM
I deal with many complex software negotiations and transactions. The intellectual property established by the SCCA is significant and is infringed upon all the time. It would be nice to have on the web, but then it would make it even easier to be illegally reused. Keeping it in hard copy protects it to a minor extent.

The main reason I bet is $$ for selling the books. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

------------------
BenSpeed
#33 ITS RX7
BigSpeed Racing
[email protected]
NNJR

Banzai240
02-13-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by benspeed:
The main reason I bet is $$ for selling the books. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

My guess is that there is little profit in this, beyond paying for overall printing costs, etc... And if so, big deal...

Besides... it's pretty tough to lug the Internet into the tech shed!

Jake
02-13-2004, 03:47 PM
If there is little profit in it, why not put it up on the internet? Maybe they'll even save a littl $ by not printing so many books. (I'm sure there are a LOT of GCRs that get tossed - it's the nature of publishing)

Bill Miller
02-13-2004, 06:57 PM
Somebody here had hosted the GCR on their site, and was told by the SCCA to take it down.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608