PDA

View Full Version : Engine Stay Rods

Eric Parham
02-10-2004, 12:31 PM
ITCS (GCR 17.1.4.D.1.r) allows addition of one "engine stayrod". An "engine stayrod" is not defined, but the glossary (GCR 22.1) defines a "stayrod" as "interconnecting opposite sides of a car." So, can the stayrod also be longitudinal (e.g., for transverse engined FWD cars)? Any min/max limits on the length of the stayrod? Does it have to have a pivot at both ends, just one, or none? Can the stayrod replace all or part of an existing motor mount? Can a support be built up for the stayrod's attachment to the unibody? Can existing sheetmetal be trimmed for stayrod clearance? Can one end of the stayrod extend through the firewall to rollcage structure? Can the stayrod attach to the one added chassis stressbar/stayrod (GCR 17.1.4.D.5.d.5)? Is the permitted engine stayrod in addition to the permitted chassis front stressbar/stayrod for front-engined cars?

[This message has been edited by Eric Parham (edited February 10, 2004).]

JohnRW
02-12-2004, 12:10 PM
...........................(cricket sounds)....................

A collective "Huh ?" from the IT.com crowd. I'd guess that most of us here aren't sure what you're getting at. Clarify what you're trying to achieve, if you could. Don't connect 'silence' with 'ignore'.

I don't think you can have a stayrod go thru the firewall regardless of the destination, and also don't believe that it can connect to the rollcage. As to the other specifics, a more concrete example might help us form the mental picture.

rbt510
02-12-2004, 02:13 PM
I will giveit shot (from memory of IT rules):

[B]ITCS (GCR 17.1.4.D.1.r) allows addition of one "engine stayrod". An "engine stayrod" is not defined, but the glossary (GCR 22.1) defines a "stayrod" as "interconnecting opposite sides of a car." So, can the stayrod also be longitudinal (e.g., for transverse engined FWD cars)? YES
Any min/max limits on the length of the stayrod? NO
Does it have to have a pivot at both ends, just one, or none? YOUR CHOICE
Can the stayrod replace all or part of an existing motor mount? NO, I believe motor mounts have to remain stock.
Can a support be built up for the stayrod's attachment to the unibody? YES,see next question.
Can existing sheetmetal be trimmed for stayrod clearance? NO, not authorized mod.
Can one end of the stayrod extend through the firewall to rollcage structure? NO, would mean modifying firewall.
Can the stayrod attach to the one added chassis stressbar/stayrod (GCR 17.1.4.D.5.d.5)? NO , because it would then become part of Chassis stessbar and would break that rule.
Is the permitted engine stayrod in addition to the permitted chassis front stressbar/stayrod for front-engined cars? YES

Based on my expeience with VW Rabbit...
Bob

Eric Parham
02-12-2004, 05:37 PM
Thanks http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif I'm mainly trying to figure out the best way to keep a transversely front-mounted 6-cyl engine from breaking things (header, motor mounts, hoses, bolted-in firewall, etc.).

I have a mock-up stay bar installed transversely between the sturdy metal of the front crush rails at the same height as the stock front motor mount, and am hoping to attach to the engine at or near that ideally placed front motor mount bracket (near the centerline of the car).

Although it should be possible to put a tab on the stay bar and sandwich that between the motor mount and the engine, it would be a LOT easier if the original mount wasn't even attached.

The stock mount is awfully fragile, and its lower mounting is only tied to the car by four tiny rubber "feet" bolted to flimsy spot-welded tabs (some of which are already distorted on my comparable street car).

I forgot to take pics of the mock-up, but will try to get some in a week or so (the next time I'll see the car).

Nigel Stu
02-12-2004, 07:22 PM
It's been a while since I read the rules, but I think I remember reading something about the stay-rod only being able to limit movement in 1 direction (fore-aft OR lateral), therefore you would need to have pivots.

Eric Parham
02-13-2004, 01:02 PM
I remember *thinking* the same thing, but don't know if it was just something someone told me or whether it was actually in the rules at some point. I didn't find anything in the current '04 rules about it, though. Was there ever a COA write-up on that issue?

Originally posted by Nigel Stu:
It's been a while since I read the rules, but I think I remember reading something about the stay-rod only being able to limit movement in 1 direction (fore-aft OR lateral), therefore you would need to have pivots.