PDA

View Full Version : Air Cleaner Assemblies.....

cherokee
01-22-2004, 03:51 PM
The good book says "Air cleaner assemblies may be modified, removed or replaced. Velocity stacks ram air or cowl inductions are not permitted...."

Ok I read this as I can bend the heck out of the existing air cleaner to fit the "optinal" carb. For my applacation there is a adapter that you set on top of the carb that adapts the round hole to a square one, and then the original air cleaner sits on top of the adapter. Do you think this would be ok or do you think that I should get out the hammer and some sealer.

joeg
01-22-2004, 04:09 PM
I think you should find a good air cleaner that fits your "Optional" carb.

Your adaptor sounds suspiciously like an air horn extension or type of velocity stack.

Of course an image is worth a thousand words...

cherokee
01-22-2004, 04:56 PM
Go to http://www.jameng.com/products/index.phtml?section=14

Item 99004.351

If I am not to put links in messages....sorry.

joeg
01-23-2004, 09:09 AM
I looked at the image.

I think it is an "extension" or mod of the carb. My guess is that you may have a problem.

cherokee
01-23-2004, 09:31 AM
It just screws to the top of the carb...Looking at the stock air cleaner assembly...it does not look that hard to make it fit the weber...I think I will go that rout...just trying to make my life easy.

bhudson
01-23-2004, 10:45 AM
My question is why would you want to use it? The adapter looks like it would actually restrict air flow. Get a filter that fits the carb. No tech hassles and it would probably work better.

Just my opinion, I may be wrong....

cherokee
01-23-2004, 01:19 PM
On my car the intake sits on top of the exahust manafold (they are bolted together).
with the stock air cleaner there is a long "tube" that goes through a hole next to the rad. so it can get some cool air. I was thinking that I would try both ways and see what would be better....the HOT air off the exhaust 4" below the carb or the more restrictive stock air cleaner with its long tube and get a cooler air.

itmanta
01-23-2004, 04:09 PM
Cherokee, back in the late 80's I adapted a stock air cleaner to a 32/36 for one of our IT Opel's. I used the baseplate from a Redline air filter assembly and itegrated it into the stock air cleaner. The baseplate was nice because it smoothed the air flow into the carb.

------------------
Peter Linssen
ITB Opel Manta
Pacific NW Region

cherokee
01-23-2004, 05:29 PM
Manta...Is that what you are doing now. If not what are you running now...please share us Opel guys gotta stick together http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif The Idea of intake air comming from the hottest part of the engine bay just does not sound good.

BVNitta
01-24-2004, 12:41 PM
The stock air cleaner on the Manta is quite restrictive and the stock intake duct from next to the radiator is too small. I haven't tried modifying them yet, but that may be the way to go. I currently have the Weber air cleaner drawing underhood air, but I'm also toying with the idea of drawing cold air using the Solex-Weber adapted and a modified air cleaner setup. Do you have the heat shield between the carb base and the intake ? That should help a bit in keeping exhaust manifold heat away from the carb.

Bhima
ITB Manta
NER

cherokee
01-24-2004, 10:12 PM
I don't have the heat sheld on there yet...it is on my list of things to do. The car just came home today from getting the cage and all installed. Got some work ahead of me...hopefully to hit the track April-May.

itmanta
01-25-2004, 07:58 PM
Yes, I am making the Manta I built in the 80's competative for the new millenium. I am re-doing the suspension, upgrading the cage and converting to EFI. I have all the suspension pieces, (including advance design shocks)the engine assembled on a stand and all the EFI stuff ready to bolt on. I hope to get my competition license back this year and then run a full schedule next year. This is the reality based on my family life and the constraints of owning my own business

We aborted the use of the stock air cleaner assembly because the air supply next to the radiator support is just too small.The ONLY reason I could see to go this route would be the ability to use stock forced cold air With the weber carb we used an ITG air filter and made sure the rear of the hood stood proud to allow a bit of cowl induction or at least let the heat escape from the engine compartment.

------------------
Peter Linssen
ITB Opel Manta
Pacific NW Region

cherokee
01-26-2004, 11:04 AM
Let me know how the fuel injection works on your manta...Now that you can fiddle with the computer you should be in better shape. Getting cool air into the engine should help...just getting around the restriction is the only problem.

itmanta
01-26-2004, 09:31 PM
We have run EFI on an ITB manta in the early 90's. Even before the ECU rules change EFI car had better power throughout the RPM band. Really no comparison. That car won the SF region ITB championship around '91 or '92 in a VERY competetive field

------------------
Peter Linssen
ITB Opel Manta
Pacific NW Region

Ascona1973
01-27-2004, 12:05 AM
Just FYI, the stock air intake opening behind the grill is plenty large on the Manta. It's just that the factory plastic air collector is necked down too small. I made a new one from sheetmetal, it uses a 3" tube (more than big enough to feed your engine). I did NOT have to cut/modify anything to do this, it attaches via OEM clips.

Bob Legere

cherokee
01-27-2004, 03:41 PM
I am also of the thaught that if the air cleaner assemblies can be modified...the the tube can be made bigger to bring in more air. I will not modify the body of the car just the size of the tube. It will be the original air cleaner...just modified.