PDA

View Full Version : How much under the dash can I remove?

eMKay
01-24-2004, 03:20 PM
Climate controls? Uneeded wiring? Climate ducting? Everything but the heater core?

Knestis
01-24-2004, 04:06 PM
There are bound to be some looser interpretations applied here before this is done but you'd be well advised to read the ITCS and remove only the parts that it says you can remove.

Shorthand for this is IIDSYCYC - no, I don't know how to pronounce it - which means "if it doesn't say you can, you can't.

The IT rules lead people astray and create interpretation problems when they specify what has to stay (a la heater core), as inference suggests that if it doesn't say it has to stay, then it may be removed. This is not the case.

The rules NERD interpretation is that you can cut ducts to put in rollcage tubes (not remove the entire thing ventilation system), remove wiring that runs electrical components that may be removed (sound system), and replace AC control packages with the same parts from non-AC cars if they were available.

K

Tyson
01-25-2004, 08:08 AM
run the horizontal dash bar thru as much as possible and remove whatever it runs thru and youre within the rules.

"Other than modifications made to mount instruments and provide for roll cage installation, the remainder of the "dash board" or panel shall remain intact"

"Other than to provide for the installation of required safety equipment or other authorized modifications, any other driver/passenger compartment alterations, gutting, or removal or substitution of driver/passenger compartment panels is prohibited"

(on a counter point to prof. knestis, actually, i dont even see within the wording that IF, lets say, the AC condensor has been removed, you have to replace it with the ducting of a NON AC equipped car, since it says AC parts may be removed in whole or in part. no wording on "replacing with...". but ill agree its a good idea to replace it so the rest of the system works in case you need it.)

[This message has been edited by Tyson (edited January 25, 2004).]

Knestis
01-25-2004, 09:30 AM
I will grudgingly grant you that if a horizontal cage tube runs through the space previously occupied by the entire ventilation system, that strategy flies.

If there is not steel where plastic and electics used to be however, can a car the doesn't have AC remove all of the ducting, fan, and controls? There's no clause allowing it. Just checking my logic.

K

planet6racing
01-25-2004, 09:43 AM
Kirk:

It comes down to how you defining the ducting. If the ducting is part of the A/C system, it can go, if it is part of the heating system, it must stay. We've all been over this in another thread and came to the conclusion that reasonable people will disagree about the interpretation.

Additionally, running the bar through as much stuff as possible just for the intent of removing it all really seems like a tortured interpretation of the rule.

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing
bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

lateapex911
01-25-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by planet6racing:
Kirk:

Additionally, running the bar through as much stuff as possible just for the intent of removing it all really seems like a tortured interpretation of the rule.

C'mon, Bill, it's all about safety, right?? [ http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/rolleyes.gif]

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]