PDA

View Full Version : Engine Blueprinting

planet6racing
01-14-2004, 11:35 PM
So, I was at Barnes & Noble looking for "Tune To Win" and came across a great book on engine blueprinting. Very detailed and discussed way more things than I thought blueprinting involved. This led me to the following question:

To what extent do the IT rules allow blueprinting?

The book I have discusses piston modification to properly adjust clearances, block modifications to clean up flash and generally improved oil flow, crank modification to reduce stress, etc, all in the blueprinting process. At first glance, this would seem to be beyond the rules, but if this is all part of blueprinting, I need to call my machinist today to change what he is doing to my engine...

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing
bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

joeg
01-15-2004, 08:45 AM
"Blueprinting" means different things. However, the GCR (22. definitions)defines it as "the practice of engine improvement by the use of selected standard parts and/or by optimizing the factory machined surfaces of stock engine components to achieve the most ...etc."

Check it out!

planet6racing
01-15-2004, 10:02 AM
Well, I guess that is what I get for not consulting the Good Book!

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing

cherokee
01-15-2004, 10:02 AM
Did you find "Tune to Win"? I was looking to buy a new copy...mine is pretty ratty and was told that it is out of print.

ddewhurst
01-15-2004, 10:32 AM
Ben, ya reading this stuff that Bill's writing ?

ZOOM ZOOM http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

David

planet6racing
01-15-2004, 11:25 AM
Bah! Ben's still trying to figure out what that noise from the rear end is. I keep telling him to just turn the radio up and the noise will go away!!! http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

I didn't find Tune To Win, but that is probably because I stopped looking when I started reading the Blueprinting book. I may try to look again tonight.

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing

joeg
01-15-2004, 12:30 PM
[quote]Originally posted by planet6racing:
[B]Well, I guess that is what I get for not consulting the Good Book!

A lot of us tend to forget that there is much info in that GCR and that the ITCS has to be read with the GCR together.

I had to warn the machine shop once about preserving one piston/rod assembly (the lightest one)intact before proceeding with a "balance" job. However, I did get into an argument once with a member about not being able to do glass beading as he thought you could not do it under the ITCS.

Cheers.

planet6racing
01-15-2004, 12:49 PM
Well, see, that is part of my problem. My 2003 GCR went with the engine to the machine shop, with specific instructions to consult the good book before doing anything. Of course, I found the Blueprinting book after I dropped that all off...

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing

ddewhurst
01-15-2004, 03:32 PM
***I did get into an argument once with a member about not being able to do glass beading as he thought you could not do it under the ITCS.***

Joe, would you like to talk some more?

[email protected]

Have Fun http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif
David

JohnRW
01-15-2004, 03:33 PM
That's an awful lot of faith you have in your machine shop. If they are already familiar with the twists and turns of the GCR, they probably didn't need a copy. If they aren't...did you test their reading comprehension skills ?

Most engine shops deal with roundy-round stuff. Simple rules for simple people, some might say (me, for example). Don't be placed in a position where your only excuse for a problem is to blame the machine shop.

planet6racing
01-15-2004, 03:36 PM
Oh, there were other detailed instructions that went with it all, spelling out exactly what I wanted. But, when I got there and set my engine down next to a Lotus engine from another road racer, I wasn't about to complain. We talked at length about it all and he knows to call me if there are any questions.

Besides, its all going to be covered up where no one will see it, right? http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing

joeg
01-16-2004, 08:41 AM
Sure, Dave.

My buddy had just seen an article on an IT build-up by BSI in GRM and was all bent out of shape because they had pictures of the BSI guy glass beading a cylinder head. I told him it was no problem, but he was insistent it was an extra (not allowed by the ITCS) "machining-like process".

The GCR, however, allows glass-beading ("glass or media blasting")as part of the "blue-printing" definition.

They must be read together.

Cheers.