PDA

View Full Version : 944 Turbo in SCCA

alexands
12-10-2003, 03:13 PM
I have an opportunity to buy one real cheap. I'd like to turn it into a race car. The car is not specifically listed in the GCR. My local region (Texas) says the rules for ITE do not permit the 944 turbo to run in that class because of engine size (turbo 2.5L). Is it possible to run the car in SCCA in any class (besides solo)? I've heard that the SCCA is not very Porsche friendly so I'm just trying to weigh my options before plunking down the $$$.

Thanks for any help,
Scott

planet6racing
12-10-2003, 03:27 PM
Check out SPO/SPU for your region. I think it needs to meet GT specs for safety, but it does give you a place to run.

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing
bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

Geo
12-10-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by alexands:
I have an opportunity to buy one real cheap. I'd like to turn it into a race car. The car is not specifically listed in the GCR. My local region (Texas) says the rules for ITE do not permit the 944 turbo to run in that class because of engine size (turbo 2.5L). Is it possible to run the car in SCCA in any class (besides solo)? I've heard that the SCCA is not very Porsche friendly so I'm just trying to weigh my options before plunking down the $$$.

Thanks for any help,
Scott

Scott, I raced against an ITE 951 at TWS in January. I do believe I've seen others. But, Jason at Paragon has been told no in the past when he wanted to race his 951 in ITE with us. I don't know what the deal is other than I've raced against them.

Best bet is to call or write some of the local techies.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX
84 944 ITS car under construction
92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
http://www.nissport.com

jhooten
12-10-2003, 05:10 PM
I too am trying to find the SWDiv rules for ITE. I was told that turbos are legal in ITE as long as the engine displacement was under 1.8L. If it was over that it had to go into SP with all the GT/Prod safety requirements. But, in SP you can run slicks, fully gut the interior, and replace the glass with Lexan.

I did ask one SP driver where I could find the rules for the class. His reply "there ain't none". Take it for what it is worth.

Maddog
12-10-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by jhooten:
I too am trying to find the SWDiv rules for ITE. I was told that turbos are legal in ITE as long as the engine displacement was under 1.8L. If it was over that it had to go into SP with all the GT/Prod safety requirements. But, in SP you can run slicks, fully gut the interior, and replace the glass with Lexan.

I did ask one SP driver where I could find the rules for the class. His reply "there ain't none". Take it for what it is worth.

What you have been told is correct, the limit on ITE in SOWDIV is 1.8 for a turbo, 3.0 nonturbo. Over that go to SP. Any Tech guy or Steward should have the ITE rules and they are published now and then in the newsletters. SP rules are in the GCR.

Blix
12-11-2003, 02:18 PM
One of the best driven and most enjoyable cars to watch in the NE is a 944 Turbo. It used to run in ITE, but I believe it was missclassed and now runs in SP. It is routinely the fastest tin top on the track for any given day, and I've seen it come from nearly a lap down to catch and pass a GT1 and Rousch built Winiston Cup road race car in like 10 laps at NHIS....the 944 is BLINDINGLY fast, and when he shifts on the main straight and the wastegate goes off...wow. I'm sure if you found some NE race results you could find the guy and ask him what he's done to the car, he's very friendly every time I go over to drool on his car.

Eric
NER SM #02

ITSRX7
12-11-2003, 02:31 PM
There are two in NE. A red ITE car and the multi-colored SPO car. The SPO car Eric is talking about is rumored to have ~ 700hp and is really well build and really well driven.

ITE is a crazy class because the rules are different in every Region.

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region #188967
www.flatout-motorsports.com
http://www.flatout-motorsports.com/images/200_06_checkered.jpg

Prince Makaha
12-13-2003, 12:21 PM
http://www.electrodyne.cc/images/944t_3.jpg

What? No tube frames in IT?

[This message has been edited by Prince Makaha (edited December 13, 2003).]

alexands
12-13-2003, 02:04 PM
Thanks for all of the responses. It looks like if I want to run in SCCA then SPo is the place to do it. Probably won't be very competitive there for several years (and lotsa $$$). I'll probably stay with PCA for now.

Scott

dickita15
12-14-2003, 07:57 AM
unless you are building a monster running is SPO (and ITE for that mater) is not about being competitive for the win. It is about having a place to run a car that is also run in other series. You would in most places run in the big bore race group and there is most likely others in the group you can race with regardless of class. The more option you have to go racing on any weekend the better.
dick

alexands
12-14-2003, 11:22 AM
That's a good point. I'm a beginner anyway so it's doubtful I'll be very competitive at least for a while. It's all about having fun. I'm sure I'll run across others in that class to compete with.

theenico
12-15-2003, 03:51 PM
Move to the midwest and run in the midiv. Our version of ITE says that any car not otherwise classified and built to the IT rules is OK.

------------------
Nico
KCRaceware (816) 257-7305
[email protected]

Doug Ford
01-02-2004, 11:25 PM
You can run in the midwest? There was one running at hallet last year and got beat by some of the top ITS cars. Come to memphis and you can let the turbo fly on the long front straight.

Hope to see you in Memphis!

------------------
1989 Mazda rx-7 red
1986 951 silver/black
2001 supercrew white
Regional Executive Midsouth Region #66

zracer22
01-09-2004, 10:20 PM
The 944 Turbo can run in the GTS Challenge in GTS3. GTS Challenge has a 21 race schedule in 2004. Our first race is Feb 21 at VIR. This season we will be at VIR, MidOhio, Road America, Summit Point, CMP, Road Atlanta and several other tracks. If you race a Porsche, Audi, Mercedes, or BMW that is built to a minimum of SCCA Showroom Stock safety level, GTS Challenge has a place for you. See www.gtschallenge.com (http://www.gtschallenge.com) for more details and if you want more info you can contact us thru the email links on the website. 2003 was a huge success, with over 50 drivers competing. We are currently working on bringing GTS Challenge to Texas.