PDA

View Full Version : lexan rear window

it39
12-15-2003, 11:52 AM
Think to have a rear window.

After talking to an manufacture, I found that the lexan with scratch resistant has little gray than "clear". They said most of racing orgs accept it.

Is it ok to use it?

I found some mentioning better to have a scratch resistant and some UV stabilizer/MR10. Tnen, a lexan has yellow or gray color?

Thanks.

planet6racing
12-15-2003, 12:09 PM
Well, unless the lexan came as stock, your answer is an easy one:

No lexan allowed in IT.

If your car originally came with Lexan (please share the make and model so the rest of us can decide if we should be racing it!), then I would suspect that any factory tint would be acceptable (not dealer, would have to be factory). It seems the amount you are talking about is pretty negligible, so I wouldn't be too concerned.

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing
bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

it39
12-15-2003, 12:40 PM
Oh. I use the same car for a different series which accept lexan. I thought I saw somewhere saying that the rear window may be replace with Plexiglas, etc. So I would save a time to switch the glasses before the race.

If not allowed, my choice is simpler.

Thanks

TBreu007
12-15-2003, 02:46 PM
I think the Honda DelSol can have a plastic rear window since the cage must pass through it. I think that is the only car that allows plastic or Lexan.

joeg
12-15-2003, 03:48 PM
Toyota MR2 and Pontiac Fiero, too?

JohnW
12-15-2003, 10:01 PM
I'm also in the market for Lexan windows!

Anyone have a contact?

I found FAL windows on the web....... but they are HUGE $$$$$$$$$$ Three windows for a Honda for 500.00 plus! ouch.

...Help...

dieselsdad
12-15-2003, 11:21 PM
If the windows are fairly flat, ie, rear hatches or side windows you can make your own out of lexan (not plexi). I bought my lexan locally for something like $70.00 or 75.00 for a 4X8 sheet. Enough for several RX-7's.

joeg
12-16-2003, 04:20 PM
John--A local supplier in WNY would be "Great Lakes Plastics" in Buffalo.

They sell Lexan sheets in various sizes and thicknesses.

I use a jig saw to cut it to shape and sand the edges with 80 grit sand paper.

Use clecos to hold the shaped piese in Do not ever use glass cleaner on it.position and rivet it in.

Regards.