PDA

View Full Version : Petition to change license rule?

Fleetcare
11-30-2003, 12:49 AM
I have been thinking about this. I am debating if I should petition the SCCA to change the rule.

The rule currently states- "two races should be completed within 1 calendar year, between your membership year" or something like that.. AKA you have to do 2 races in 1 year.

The reality- With the economy as it is now many people cannot afford to race! I am one of them. I do not wish to lose my SCCA license because of it. Perhaps there should be a 1 day refresher class for people who have drifted out of status. I really dread to think that I would have to do another double driving school to get back into the sport. I also believe that many young people like myself (sub 25) ,who have to take on college at the same time without a substantial source of income, are going to be put off by the rule and will look to other sports. The cost of renting a car for 2 races is also not cheap and many people cannot accept the liability in the event the car was damaged.

I understand completely that the rule was engineered to keep inexperienced drivers off of the track. But additionally I believe that a 1 day “rust removal” class should be sufficient. Racing is like riding a bicycle. Once you get it. You get it! Might just take a few hours to shake the rust from the driver!

~Jonathan Freinkel

Thoughts ? Comments ? Opinions?

JackH55
11-30-2003, 05:48 AM
Your problem is already addressed in the GCR. Read your GCR.

Jack

Quickshoe
11-30-2003, 08:13 PM
Jonathan,

Perhaps you can write to your Division License Chairman and ask for a waiver based on prior racing experience.

I'm not sure what they look at...amount of prior experience, time since last race, notes home to mommy, etc. would make sense.

Fleetcare
11-30-2003, 11:01 PM
the note from mommy wont happen.. she doesnt like me racing..

But ye.. I think thats the route to take.. I suppose its better left to a case by case basis over a blanket rule

RSTPerformance
12-01-2003, 12:53 AM
The rule is good how it is IMO. Many schools are 1 day, and are great test days for an experienced driver. If you are good as you state you are then you don't need to worry about passing/failing and can consentrate on actually improving yourself and your car. If you have been racing for a while, you will likely get a waiver as they probably don't want you out harasing the newbies!!!

Goodluck, I started as a student and I know the budget/time constraints, luckaly I had a great crew that was just as egar to succeed as I was http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

Raymond

------------------
http://rstperformance.bizland.com/rstsignature.jpg
RST Performance Racing
www.rstperformance.com (http://www.rstperformance.com)
1st and 2nd 2003 ITB NARRC Championship
1st and 6th 2003 ITB NERRC Championship
3rd 2003 ITB ARRC Sprint Race
4th 2003 ITB ARRC Endoro
1st 2003 AS NERRC and NARRC Championships

Quickshoe
12-01-2003, 02:16 AM
Jonathan,

Couple of additional thoughts. Don't get your feelings hurt if they don't waive the requirements. Some people in their place have very large power trips. They may also have good reason not to.

They are not interested, or shouldn't be, by how fast you are. Or how many race wins you have. They should be concerned with how SAFE you will be to race with. How aware and respectful you are of all those you share the track with (especially workers).