PDA

View Full Version : Switch panels

planet6racing
10-31-2003, 10:29 AM
OK, as long as the interior is out, I've been pondering changing over some of my electrical switches to a master panel. Things like:

Lights (currently on turn signal stalk)
Wipers (currently on a stalk opposite turn signals)
Defrost fan
Ignition

I don't have my GCR with me, and I can't remember if it says you can. It'd be nice to disconnect the electrical from things like the wipers and turn signals so if I hit them on track, they don't turn on (of course, I wouldn't remove the switches themselves. Everything would still be there). I've seen it done in other cars, but that doesn't mean it's legal!

Anyway, just looking for some opinions.

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing
bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

joeg
10-31-2003, 12:08 PM
I think you are supposed to keep all the stalks and stuff in the car!

You can add switches, but the things you are permitted to remove are limited(Gauges, instruments)

planet6racing
10-31-2003, 12:30 PM
Like I said, I'd keep it all in there, and in the original locations, too (no putting it in the glove box, or in the rear right corner where I need the weight!).

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing

Bill Miller
10-31-2003, 08:12 PM
Moroso makes a nice switch panel. Comes w/ all the stuff, switches, fuse holders/fuses, lights, and a push-button starter.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

RacerBill
11-02-2003, 10:56 PM
I got the Moroso panel (it comes all in pieces, so you have to assemble it yourself), and then built an aluminum box to mount it on the floor, next to the seat, where they are within easy reach. Still kept the original harness, though!!!!

planet6racing
11-02-2003, 11:43 PM
So, I guess my question is, can someone quote chapter and verse for me? I can't seem to find it...

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing

ddewhurst
11-03-2003, 08:44 AM
http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisp...p?catcode=42013 (http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?catcode=42013)

Have Fun http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif
David

planet6racing
11-03-2003, 09:51 AM
Sorry, I mean chapter and verse from the GCR...

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing

ddewhurst
11-03-2003, 04:17 PM
Bill, here goes.......
ITCS rule 17.1.4.D.9.c.

"Guages and instruments may be added, replace or removed."

"or any other location using a secure method of attachment."

Look up instruments in the GCR & being that the instruments are to be installed using a secure method one could install them in a instrument panel. Under the definition of instrument panel in the GCR the words "various gauges and controls." are used. That I would understand to open the door to about any gauge or car control feature. Choke, fuses, fuel pump switch, ignitation switch & hmmmmmm that word "control" is very interesting.

Have Fun http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif
David

planet6racing
11-03-2003, 04:24 PM
Thank you David. So, now for my next question:

Why do I have to keep the turn signal/windshield wiper stalk stuff?

According to this, I shouldn't have to...

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing

[This message has been edited by planet6racing (edited November 03, 2003).]

ddewhurst
11-03-2003, 05:07 PM
Bill, I aimed you to the rule. Use the rule to please yourself.

Have Fiun http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif
David

jc836
11-08-2003, 08:09 PM
If I understand the rule correctly you are required to keep everything as it is in the car-except you can bypass the functionality of the switches if you use an alternate panel such as you are considering. I cannot say that it is correct to totally disable the stalk switches. If the ITCS and GCR say you can....
Just my opinion

------------------
Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'99 Prelude=a sweet song
'03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow

rlekun
11-28-2003, 01:09 PM
A lot of 1st gen RX-7 folks run a knee bar in the cage that require removal of the stalk and switches....which the GCR allows. I'm sure some will disagree on the interpretation, but I know several who consistently pass impund.

btw, i bought the longacre gauge package and a jegster switch panel through racer wholesale and Jegs respectively.

Knestis
11-28-2003, 03:32 PM
** The fact that a car "survives impound" with an modification in place is NOT evidence that said change is legal.

** Generally speaking, the rules require all of the OEM parts to not only BE THERE but also function as originally intended. (I'm not at home so don't have my ITCS handy but anyone can look it up.) This is why the "wire in the glove compartment" thing is weak.

** That said, I need to review the definition that DD quotes. If it is defining "instrument panel" then it cannot necessarily be accurately inferred that the "various controls and guages" are all "instruments," which may be removed or replaced...

K

lateapex911
11-28-2003, 04:17 PM
"Instrument Panel: "A panel,located within the cockpit of the car, and in a position convenient for driver visibility, which may provide a mounting area for various gauges and controls."

ITCS, page 20 (of 2002 version)
rule C: Talks about adding new guages to the existing panel, and goes on to state "......Other than modifications made to mount instruments and provide for roll cage installation, the remainder of the dash "board" or panel shall remain intact."

Not sure I can reasonably see how windshield wiper and light switch stalks can be involved in this rule and the definition of "instrument panel".

"Controls" doesn't apply here.
I can see how the cross car tube could necessitate the removal or modification of certain steering column items, but as a 1st gen RX-7 racer, I found a better solution.

IMHO, the items need to remain, and be operable: "Other than those specifally allowed by these rules, no component or part normally found on a stock example of a given vehicle may be disabled, altered or removed for the purpose of obtaining a competitive advantage.", from the Intent statement of the GCR.

In the case of the 1st gen, I can see how it could be argued that the items needed to be removed to allow the cross car brace to exist in that spot, but I can also see that there is a better place to put it.

I also have had to race in fog and rain and mist, and having lights and wipers helps!

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Harry
11-28-2003, 07:20 PM
GCR DEFINITIONS:
Gauges - Mechcanical or electronic readouts of automotive parameters.
Instrument - An indicator or readout which, when active, contains information about some aspect of car operation for driver reference.

Instrument Panel- A panel within the cockpit of a car, and in a position convenient for driver visability, which may provide a mounting area for various gauges and controls.

ITCS 9 c. Gauges and instruments may be added, replaced or removed. They may be installed in the original insturment(s) location using a secure method of attachment. Other than modifications made to mount insturments and provide for roll cage installation, the remainder of the dash "board" or panel shall remain intact.

The way I see it the GCR definitions of gauges & instruments falls short of being controls such as a toggle switch or push button.

In the ITCS 9 c. It only states gauges & instruments. No controls are listed. Further the "which may provide a mounting area" in the instrument panel definition means "which may". By not listing controls in the ITCS rule c. I'd say the intent is to only allow IT cars to mess around with the gauges and instruments.

Just my on interpretation.
Harry

Knestis
11-28-2003, 09:15 PM
Agreed. This has been my operational definition for ages and nothing in the rules has changed.

There ARE a lot of cars out there that don't follow these rules, however.

K

planet6racing
11-29-2003, 10:28 AM
D/P

[This message has been edited by planet6racing (edited November 29, 2003).]

planet6racing
11-29-2003, 10:29 AM
That's the way I read it too. But, I've seen so many IT cars with the switches that I was beginning to wonder...

Well, that takes one thing off the list of things to do!

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing

lateapex911
11-29-2003, 03:30 PM
So Bill, you've done the same thing I've done...walk around the paddock and roll eyes?? http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

Yea, it's all little stuff, but it makes you wonder about little stuff in the engine, doesn't it?

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]