PDA

View Full Version : Miatas in IT

mapper
11-04-2003, 02:04 PM
The 1.6 Miata is classed in ITA and some 1.8 years are classed in ITS but they both have a home in SM. For those who do not want to run SM, can a 1.8 car be competetive in ITS against the RX-7 and Z cars? There is already a discussion on the board about the 1.6 cars in ITA so I am really interested on your thoughts about ITS.

Steve

oanglade
11-04-2003, 03:15 PM
It would be interesting. I suspect that a 1.8 Miata won't be able to cut it in ITS, but I'd love to see someone give it a good try to find out.

I doubt that it is possible to get a 1.8 car with an average sized driver down to 2200 pounds. Heck, it's hard, if possible, to do it with the 1.6 car! The difference in weight is not that much, but there is some.

The handling will be there and the brakes are good and it will be good on parts and reliability. It comes with 14" wheels, so that also limits the tire choices.

The difference between the 1.6 and the 1.8 in terms of power amounts to about 15, maybe 20hp. Everything else is about the same. I don't know if that would be enough to be competitive in ITS.

therooster
11-06-2003, 10:53 PM
A Maita won ITS at the 12 Hours at Summit Point last year. A little down on speed but that is not everything at an enduro

mapper
11-10-2003, 08:51 AM
Doh! Didn't even realize that I had this under the wrong area till today. Thanks for the replies.

Steve