PDA

View Full Version : more newbie questions

rage_racing
10-06-2003, 08:50 PM
okay before you say read your gcr I am waiting for it to get here
so do I understand this right
A. Exhaust-- no cat needed, o2 sensor or any of that as long as it meets the decibal requirement
B. Air intake-- provided it stays inside the compartment or uses the stock cold air location mods can be made.

C.-- 3rd Brake light do I have to keep it in the rear deck.

D.-- trunk and hood can I eliminate the latch hardware and go to hood pins? and also where the trunk lock was can it be filled in and painted over

E.--Under the hood I can remove the A/C and since I am allowed to remove the cat can the smog pump go as well

F.-- i am measuring for my cage now and it looks like the heater housing is gonna be in the way any tips from guys with hondas?

that should do it for now that is a full days work for tomorrow and thursday

Geo
10-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by rage_racing:
A. Exhaust-- no cat needed, o2 sensor or any of that as long as it meets the decibal requirement

And exits behind the driver. If your car has an ECU, you'll probably want to keep that O2 sensor for it to run properly.

B. Air intake-- provided it stays inside the compartment or uses the stock cold air location mods can be made.

As long as the modifications are before the air metering device. Oh, and I don't know as I'd clarify that as "stock cold air location" so much as stock air source location.

C.-- 3rd Brake light do I have to keep it in the rear deck.

I see no provision for removing it.

D.-- trunk and hood can I eliminate the latch hardware and go to hood pins?

Yes

and also where the trunk lock was can it be filled in and painted over

No provision for that. But, I can't see anyone getting overly crossways about it. I would personally cover the hole with something.

E.--Under the hood I can remove the A/C and since I am allowed to remove the cat can the smog pump go as well

Yes.

F.-- i am measuring for my cage now and it looks like the heater housing is gonna be in the way any tips from guys with hondas?

Ahem. There will be some people who will suggest you may remove the heater housing. I don't read it that way though. I'm having to find another route for my cross bar on my 944 for the same reason.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX
84 944 ITS car under construction
92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
http://www.nissport.com

rage_racing
10-07-2003, 12:08 AM
if I put the croos bar in to avoid the heater housing the cross bar will be just above my feet at the pedals (way Low) and if I go above the dash will be trashed cause everything that needs to be in the dash is in that upper location... if anyone has ideas or solutions beyond relocating the heater box let me know I will try and shoot some pics of it tomorrow

jc836
10-07-2003, 04:47 AM
I had the crossbar put just above the dash eyebrow on the CRX and it does not impede my view at all. I am one of those that says the heater housing and core must stay where Honda put them-thus the decision.

------------------
Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'99 Prelude=a sweet song
'03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow

gran racing
10-07-2003, 08:31 AM
No I'm sure that some may disagree with this, but I spoke with two SCCA club racing tech guys about this. After my discussion, I decided not to put this optional cross bar in. They said that it really isn't necessary. If hit on the side, the axel will transfer the energy. Obviously it isn't a bad idea to be safe than sorry, but just what I concluded. It might be worth a call to SCCA for yourself...

lateapex911
10-07-2003, 06:39 PM
There has got to be an alternative. In my car I had interferance witht the heater box and some ducting, so I cut holes and ran the bar through the offending parties.

I think the removal of significant components isn't justified by the need to have an optional bar in just that spot.

Chack around and see what others have done. Have you floated this question on the Honda section?

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]