PDA

View Full Version : Ballast Requirements and the 2003 GCR

IP2GSR
09-18-2003, 08:46 PM
I was hopping someone with a current GCR could advise me of any changes to the requirements for ballast in Improved Touring. From the 2001 edition it reads:
GCR ITCS Section D.9.n
Ballast up to 100 lbs maximum may be located in the front passenger footwell area, aft of the firewall and any footwell angle, and forward of the passenger seat.

It mentions nothing about the ballast being in segments that are no lighter than 25 lbs or how the ballast is mounted like in touring TCS C2.a.2. Was this text added in later editions?

I thought I had noticed a post to this effect but do you think I can find it now... sigh,

Thanks

Dave
#72 ITS GSR

Terry Hanushek
09-19-2003, 09:42 AM
Dave

++ It mentions nothing about the ballast being in segments that are no lighter than 25 lbs or how the ballast is mounted like in touring TCS C2.a.2. Was this text added in later editions? ++

There was a modification of this section in several 2002 FasTracks. Below is the final version in the 2003 GCR.

D.9.l Ballast of up to 100 lbs, maximum may be used. All ballast shall be located in the front passenger footwell area, aft of the firewell and any footwell angle, and forward of the OEM front passenger seat location.

1. It shall be in segments no heavier than fifty (50) pounds and shall be capable of being removed to be weighed apart from the car.

2. Each segment shall be fastened with a minimum of two (2) one-half (1/2) inch bolts and positive lock nuts of SAE Grade 5 or better, and shall use large-diameter, load-distributing washers.

3. Holes may be drilled in the front passender footwell floorpan for purposes of mounting the ballast (only), and said floorpan may be reinforced for the same purpose.

Hope this helps. It is always helpful to have a current GCR available.

Terry

IP2GSR
09-22-2003, 08:14 PM
Thanks Terry! I really appreciate the time taken to look it up.

I do plan to pick up the 2004 GCR in Jan but to be honest didn't want to get the 2003 since it will be obsolete in about three months. (I know I am just too cheap for my own good http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

I normally don't run the car in ITS but the next race will be the exception. Imagine adding 123 lbs in ballast. Since the max is 100 lbs I guess I will need the passenger seat as well.... Now where did I put that passenger seat.......? LOL

Thanks again

Dave

Roy Dean
09-25-2003, 12:21 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\"> guess I will need the passenger seat as well</font>

nope. Rules state that "passenger seat shall be removed".

And remember, "shall" means "must".

Greg Gauper
09-25-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Roy Dean:
nope. Rules state that "passenger seat shall be removed".

And remember, "shall" means "must".

I always love it when somebody quotes a section of the rule book without actually reading the rule.

Section 17.1.4.D.9.e states passenger seat MAY be removed, not MUST be removed....

The only rule that is a 'MUST' rule regarding seats is that the driver's seat MUST be replaced with a one-piece racing seat.

If you need to run a passsenger seatto make weight, so be it. Nothing against the rules.

Roy Dean
09-26-2003, 12:29 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">I always love it when somebody quotes a section of the rule book without actually reading the rule.</font>

And I just love it when somebody makes a smartass remark rather than just saying "no, you are wrong." Or "might want to re-read the rule".

I stand corrected, but I noticed that that portion of the GCR was re-written for 2003. Perhaps I was thinking about the 02 or 01 GCR.

Greg Gauper
09-26-2003, 01:36 PM
The only changes regarding the seats over the years has been the requirement to replace the drivers side seat with a racing seat and in the last few years the wording has changed regarding seat back brace requirements. The requirement for a passenger seat was dropped in 1999. (I know because I built my car in 1998 and had find a reasonably clean replacement at the boneyard the first year out....and then the following year the rule changed and I was permitted to remove it).

I believe we have been permitted to remove the rear seats for as long as IT has been around.

Sorry if I came across as a smart ass. No offense intended.

[This message has been edited by Greg Gauper (edited September 26, 2003).]