PDA

View Full Version : Lap Belt mounts

GRMPer
07-24-2005, 04:42 PM
Here's a question that we've been debating. We've got a Sparco Evo seat with the appropriate Sparco bracket to mount it in our 02 Civic Si (future NASA HC car) The thing is, it's got a decently beefy inner seat belt mounting point built into the bracket and there isn't a great place to mount the inner lap point to the chassis (the e-brake system is *right* there.)

Is it a no-no to use these harness mount points?

I'm thinking "FIA seat, FIA bracket...shouldn't be a problem" but you never know...

Per

ddewhurst
07-24-2005, 06:21 PM
We all have read about people who didn't/don't follow belt manufacture installation instructions.

Have Fun http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif
David

jc836
07-24-2005, 06:49 PM
In more than a few words-NO.
Why-because the belt maunfacturers universally say not to do it that way. For that matter MOST sanctioning bodies will NOT approve the install during a Tech of the car. Further, the FIA is a certification for the seat primarily.

Check the Simpson online catalog for their method-which is approved. Then read the latest issue of Speedway Illustrated-the article on belts and mounting is very good.
Race safe

------------------
Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow

[This message has been edited by jc836 (edited July 24, 2005).]

jlucas
07-24-2005, 09:30 PM
If the stock seat belt mounts to the seat at that anchor point there should be no problem from a load stand point. I'd be more concerned about the aftermarket brackets as I'm not sure how they get tested...

------------------
Jeremy Lucas
Team Honda Research
Kumho - Koni - Cobalt - Comptech

GRMPer
07-25-2005, 09:29 AM
Cool, thanks for the feedback!

I'll use the stock outer that goes into the chassis and then mount to the floor on the other side.

Per