PDA

View Full Version : Mounting 6-point Harness

timo944
07-18-2005, 02:39 PM
Anybody have specific ideas about mounting 6 or 7-point harness? i read somewhere (I don't remember where) that w/ a 6 point the sub straps should be mounted to the seat, not to the chassis. I think the idea is to spread the two straps, and with a traditional seat the hole for the staps to go through is so small that they will just come together as one strap. This would also imply that the straps should be mounted on the inside of the seat???

-timo

joeg
07-18-2005, 03:58 PM
Timo--The 5th and 6th point straps of a "Six-Point" substrap are mounted to the same location as the lap belts of the harness;
the 7th point of a "seven-point" system is mounted to where you would mount the "Fifth-Point" of a 5 point sub-strap.

You literally sit on the 6-point substrap.

Real nice system!

Hope that is clear.

Cheers.

John Herman
07-18-2005, 05:21 PM
Disclaimer: Hook things up the way the manufacturer tells you. Having said that, I hooked mine up as follows. The submarine belt hooks up to the same point as the lap belt, and goes through the lap belt holes (in a traditional seat set-up for 5 pt harnesses). I use the clip-on attachment points with an eye bolt, so both belts just snap onto the same bolt. When I get in the seat, I effectively sit on the submarine belt, then bring it up between my legs to hook into the cam-lock. The only issue, make sure the "package" is properly placed, because the 6-pt belt does a much better job of snugging up against you, and you don't want someone to be unhappy http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif. Having said that, I feel MUCH safer with the 6 pt than I did with the 5 pt, which I used for a number of years. On the G-Force setup I have, the submarine belt is quite long, so I did not have any installation issues.

timo944
07-19-2005, 12:48 PM
Gents,

Thank you both - I will make the necessary adjustments. I will be careful with the old twig 'n berries.

timo