PDA

View Full Version : inline fuel pump question

88YB1
07-11-2005, 06:56 PM
Is it necessary to run a prime pump with an inline pump and fuel cell, or will the pump self prime. I would hate to burn up a new inline pump

Chuck

racer_tim
07-11-2005, 07:31 PM
Chuck, it depends if your running carbs or FI. With FI, you need a pump to suck the fuel from the cell, to keep a positive flow to the stock pump. In order to do this, you need a sump tank so if you suck air from the cell, you have a "reserve" quart or so to keep the feed to the stock pump.

This is what I had to do when I converted the car to G Production, and had to install the cell.

Let me know, and I can send you a diagram, and some pictures of my installation.

What kind of car?

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 GP Wabbit
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

racer_tim @ yahoo dot com

C. Ludwig
07-12-2005, 12:16 AM
What Tim said. If you're using a high pressure pump for a fuel injection system you'll most likely need a lift pump. High pressure pumps don't like to pull fuel that is one reason why you see them mounted in the tank on most all new cars. The surge tank is just a good idea on top of everything else. Low pressure carb pumps do a good job of pulling fuel and feeding the high pressure pumps. So the short story is that if you're using a fuel cell and not using ATL's in-tank setup you'll need at least two fuel pumps.

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

[This message has been edited by C. Ludwig (edited July 12, 2005).]

88YB1
07-12-2005, 06:51 PM
Thanks guys. Picked up a carb type fuel pump today. I'll use it as a lift/prime pump to feed the Wallbro high pressure pump. Car is an 88 Fiero 2.8 V6 with FI.

Chuck