PDA

View Full Version : Storage of brake parts

MMiskoe
07-02-2005, 10:25 PM
Looking for recommendations on how to store brake & clutch cylinders. I've got a used clutch slave that I took off, but want to keep as a spare. I cleaned it all out, dried it all, but am afraid of just reassembling it storing it in a bag for fear of it getting rusty. It will get condensation on it and the bore is bare steel. So if I put brake fluid back in it, the fluid will attract water & it will rust. If I put oil in it, will it be ok to just slap it in the car & bleed the crap out of it??? Will the oil & brake fluid get along or will they cause problems? I would prefer to avoid having to open it up & clean it before use since its the type of thing that if I need it, I probably realized it about 10 minutes before the session starts.

Greg Gauper
07-03-2005, 02:37 PM
If you've got one of those vacuum bag food saver's, those work great for storing parts that you don't want to get rusty or corroded.

I used a set of the large bags to store a set of calipers.

Knestis
07-03-2005, 03:37 PM
That is a pretty damned good idea, Greg.

K

lateapex911
07-03-2005, 04:56 PM
Also throw one of those "descicant" (sp?) bags that you get with electronic things in ther. Griots garage sells them too.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

lateapex911
07-03-2005, 04:57 PM
oops...

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited July 03, 2005).]

zracre
07-03-2005, 09:59 PM
If you ask someone familiar with old british stuff, you can get this stuff called rubber grease too. good stuff to put on it before storage...

------------------
Evan Darling
ITA Integra

John Herman
07-03-2005, 10:22 PM
Absolutely, positively, DO NOT put petroleum-based oil in ANY brake part. The brake system seals are not compatible with petroleum based products. If you do, you face the real possibility of a brake failure and a complete rebuild of the ENTIRE brake system.