PDA

View Full Version : Oil Options

Domino
06-24-2005, 10:50 PM
What is everyone's opinion on the weight of oil to use? I'm trying to find a balance between performance and durability. I've been using Mobil 1 15W-50 and I think it's a little overkill even for Florida. I'm thinking of going with 10W-30($4.50/qt) or SAE30(race oil @ $10/qt) or maybe 5W-30.

jc836
06-25-2005, 05:36 AM
You may want to consider 10W-40 dino oil for the CRX. We use 10W-30 in our stock (176K) engine and have no issues with it. I do believe that for the weather you have this is a good compromise and very cost effective.

------------------
Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow

Chris Wire
06-25-2005, 05:20 PM
I highly recommend synthetic oil over mineral-based oil, especially in Florida. While the CRX may not be the hardest engine on oil temps, every dollar spent on oil is insurance, and you want to make sure you have the best. Mobil 1 makes a synth 10w40.

------------------
Chris Wire
Team Wire Racing
ITS Mazda RX7 #35
[email protected]

zracre
06-28-2005, 12:00 AM
I swear by mobil one synthetic...saved my itb motor in my gti once...my codriver went from 5th to 2nd at the chicane at daytona and flung the alt/water pump belt off and finished the race (36 minute stint+cool down lap!) bent the temp guage needles...and the car ran many more enduros...the car is still running too!! I use 10w 40 in my ita Integra with 69k on it and it works well....i think it is the best balance for down here...

------------------
Evan Darling
ITA Integra

Daryl DeArman
06-28-2005, 01:04 AM
I'd run the thinnest synthetic oil you can keep in it.

[This message has been edited by Daryl DeArman (edited June 28, 2005).]

David Reiter
06-28-2005, 09:07 AM
I would highly recommend AMSOIL 20W-50. I have used in my ITB car since i built the car. I run a 6-7 race schedule per year and the oil is good for the year. My engine was built by George Bauchman @ Midwest Motorsports in Ohio. He build G,F & F production engines and recommends this oil. Also, several year ago we did a dynotest using Mobilone and AMSOIL on a GP midget engine. Back to back runs draining the oil and cooling the engine in between. The AMSOIL was good for an additional 5bhp consistantly with the engine. Good luck.

------------------

philstireservice
06-28-2005, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by David Reiter:
I would highly recommend AMSOIL 20W-50. I have used in my ITB car since i built the car. I run a 6-7 race schedule per year and the oil is good for the year. My engine was built by George Bauchman @ Midwest Motorsports in Ohio. He build G,F & F production engines and recommends this oil. Also, several year ago we did a dynotest using Mobilone and AMSOIL on a GP midget engine. Back to back runs draining the oil and cooling the engine in between. The AMSOIL was good for an additional 5bhp consistantly with the engine. Good luck.

I agree with the above statement. I've used Amsoil for years. I'm using 20w50 Series 2000 Amsoil in my GSR now. It's bulletproof... These Acura motors rev high 8500 - 9000 ,still keeps the motor cool and doesn't aerate.

------------------
Phil Phillips
#49 PhilsTireService.com EP Acura Integra GSR

www.philstireservice.com (http://www.philstireservice.com)

[This message has been edited by philstireservice (edited June 28, 2005).]

charrbq
06-28-2005, 03:53 PM
I agree with Evan, except I use a lighter weight oil than he does. I only step up weight for long enduros. Mobil One has never let me down and will take a lot more abuse than I can give it. The advantage is that it can be purchased anywhere and doesn't require stocking a large supply in the shop for race day.

------------------
Chris Harris
ITC Honda Civic