PDA

View Full Version : Totally disassembled and still mystified

JeffYoung
06-11-2005, 08:20 PM
Pickup was about 1/2 inch off the bottom of the pan. Oil filter is a Wix and doesn't have a bypass valve. Bearings were actually pretty decent, I must have shut it down in time (we are replacing them though). No plugs in lines, galleys. Oil pump gears a bit worn but still just within tolerances.

Bill, I was wrong, the sump was plumbed precisely as you do it:

Engine -> filter -> cooler -> t-fitting with one line to the engine and one to the accusump.

So, we are going to bolt it all back togethr and take it to an engine dyno so we can test out of the car.

Any other thoughts guys? We are totally at a loss. Fortunately, little damage, just slightly worn bearing. Rods, pistons, bores, crank, cam and lifters all look good.

Bill Miller
06-11-2005, 09:22 PM
Jeff

I'll ask the silly question. Are you sure the gauge is ok?

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

JeffYoung
06-11-2005, 09:24 PM
No problem -- we asked it too.

Oil pump was dry when we disassembled it, and would not pump when we tried to reprime it at the track. So, doesn't appear to be teh guage.

Thanks Bill.

Jeff

Bill Miller
06-12-2005, 07:42 AM
Ok Jeff, just thought I'd throw it out there. I think I'd start w/ a new oil pump.

Here's another theory. You said you originally had a really hard time getting the pump primed. You don't say what kind of oil you're running, or the viscosity. If you're running synthetic, here's my theory. The tolerences of your oil pump are a bit too loose to handle synthetic oil, and once it really starts to heat up (the oil), it thins out to a point that the pump just won't pump it anymore. Espeicially since you're about at the limit of the specs.

I'd suggest comparing the clearence specs w/ those of some other vehicles, just to see where they're at.

Not sure if this is what's going on, just trying to look at some of the not so obvious things.

------------------
SCCA 279608

seckerich
06-12-2005, 09:12 AM
I agree with Bill, throw the pump away. Why put new parts in a motor and not replace the most vital part? Pump has to be cheaper than bearings.
Steve

zracre
06-12-2005, 10:57 AM
I agree with replacing the pump...but if you are not picking up oil when you are trying to prime it i would go over the pickup tube very closely...the tiniest of leaks will cause a big problem...im not sure how it mounts to the pump but i would make extra sure it is sealing.

------------------
Evan Darling
ITA Integra

JeffYoung
06-12-2005, 08:12 PM
Agreed guys, it HAS to be the pump or a leak at the pickup tube. New pump on the way, in fact TWO of them.

Also, Bill, I run 20w50 Valv non-synthetic race oil. The old Rover V8 doesn't like the the thin new synthetics.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Bill Miller
06-12-2005, 08:35 PM
Jeff,

Since it would seem that the oil viscosity is ok, I agree, it's gotta be the pump. I'm betting on a pickup problem.

------------------
SCCA 279608

joeg
06-13-2005, 09:13 AM
Vasoline for that new pump to prime it.