PDA

View Full Version : Tires!

Spinnetti
03-05-2005, 09:28 PM
I've been out a few years...

I run IT/A in a Rear wheel drive Toyota (205/55-14)

Whats the Hot ticket These days? I'm understanding Hoosiers?

What's second best? I hear the Hosers wear like butter on hot asphalt.

I'm doing a track day in a few weeks (LOTS of time) and want something that I can run for that and get a few races out of this year...

Is 2nd best horrible or worth it for some additional tire wear?

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Spinnetti (edited March 05, 2005).]

lateapex911
03-05-2005, 09:41 PM
Honestly?

Start with a set of Toyos....

If you are just getting restarted, spending the big bucks for Hoosiers, then flatspotting one, or running events where the last Nth degree...about a second a lap for the first 7 heat cycles or so, just isn't worth it.

The Hoosiers are great, especially for the guys making $ mounting them....

By the time I am all said and done I have spent close to $800 for a set mounted, which means I have spent $100 bucks every time the tires do enough laps to get warm.

When things go wrong, (like last year when the track was damaged 3 laps into a race and we were done), it can cost almost $100 a lap after figuring the other costs of running the race. Yuk.

Granted, the Hoosiers will need a slightly different set up, but if I were in your shoes, I'd get Toyos, and start maximizing my seat time.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Spinnetti
03-05-2005, 09:48 PM
So Toyo's are the best price/performance/wear mix?

Have you tried the Avons or other brands?
I started on Hoosiers and sure didn't like them way back then. I used to love the Yoko's, and I was pretty fast on BFG, though they were impossible in the rain.

I guess for the first couple races, having a slow tire won't matter too much, though I am pretty compulsive about being in the front pack.

Thanks for the advice.

Originally posted by lateapex911:
Honestly?

Start with a set of Toyos....

If you are just getting restarted, spending the big bucks for Hoosiers, then flatspotting one, or running events where the last Nth degree...about a second a lap for the first 7 heat cycles or so, just isn't worth it.

The Hoosiers are great, especially for the guys making $ mounting them....

By the time I am all said and done I have spent close to $800 for a set mounted, which means I have spent $100 bucks every time the tires do enough laps to get warm.

When things go wrong, (like last year when the track was damaged 3 laps into a race and we were done), it can cost almost $100 a lap after figuring the other costs of running the race. Yuk.

Granted, the Hoosiers will need a slightly different set up, but if I were in your shoes, I'd get Toyos, and start maximizing my seat time.

lateapex911
03-05-2005, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Spinnetti:
So Toyo's are the best price/performance/wear mix?

I guess for the first couple races, having a slow tire won't matter too much, though I am pretty compulsive about being in the front pack.

Thanks for the advice.

yes, you'll get 20 plus sessions from them and they will be faster after 20 than they were fresh. I wish the Hoosier plant would burn to the ground so we couldn't use the damn things... kidding...I just wish we didn't have the choice of tires that wear so quickly, thats all.

I have only run Toyos, Hoosiers and Kuhmos.
I think a case can be made to choose either the long life but a second slow Toyo, or the short life but a second faster for 7 sessions Hoosier. I don't see the logic of the not so fast but not so long lasting Kuhmos unless you have a situtation where you can win with them and make some $, or where they are the ideal size or some other specific situation.

Regarding your quest to be at the front, I think that your placings will be very dependent on who shows up. If you race against Serra (ITA ARRC winner) every week as we do here in the NE, you'll need more than Hoosiers. I am not doubting the potential of the Toyota, it's just that I have never seen one that could run with the faster Integras, CRXs and 240SXs ....ever.

If you find that your local competition is right near you, then you will have no choice but to step up and start hemmoraging $. http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited March 05, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited March 17, 2005).]

Bob Burns
03-06-2005, 03:01 AM
David Spinnetti? Toyota Corolla GTS? From somewhere around Detroit?

It's been a long time, but did you run a drivers school/regional at IRP in 1992?

Bob...

gran racing
03-06-2005, 09:22 AM
During the past two years when I was in ITA, my theory was does it really matter if I finished 15th place or 13th? Not really especially when I could finish 15th using Toyos and saving a lot of money doing it. Try the Toyos first then if you find you are pretty darn close to the front, buy Hoosiers for your next set. Like Jake, I'm not too thrilled about "having" to buy Hoosiers this year. http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/frown.gif

Track day with LOTS of time, haven't been on the track in a while, flat spot a Hoosier = not as much track time and about $160 for another tire.

------------------
Dave Gran
NER ITB #13
'87 Honda Prelude si

Andy Bettencourt
03-06-2005, 09:52 AM
Also - in the same vien an Hoosier, if Goodyear offers a tire in your size, try it. We like them better than the current Hoosier. Same price, better life - and we think they are faster.

GS-CS.

http://www.racegoodyear.com/distributors.html

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
New England Region, R188967
www.flatout-motorsports.com (http://www.flatout-motorsports.com)

zooracer
03-06-2005, 03:06 PM
I have been running the Kumhos in 195/55-14 on my swift (victoracers) for one school, one double school, and then my first race in ccps (45 min. race)
Got a little flatspotting on the fronts, which I moved to the rear, at the race.
But they seem to have another race or two in them.
I bought them shaved from tire rack.
Now, I just looked for Toyo's and found they're more expensive then the Kumho's.
Actually, where is a good place to buy Toyo's?
So the toyo's cost more, are not any faster then the Kumhos, and may last a little longer?
matt

Ron Earp
03-06-2005, 03:44 PM
Matt,

Get them at the track, Appalachian Tire is there at most all races and you can call ahead and reserve them. We just bought all new tires that way and it is as cheap, or cheaper, than getting them sent to you and then carting them to a tire store to mount and balance.

Plus, the big thing I think, is that buying stuff on track, even if it is a little more sometimes, gives those vendors incentative to come back for that time when you REALLY are in a bind and need a part. Like when you forget your helmet at home, your Holley pump goes out, you forget nomex socks, or some silliness such as that!

Ron

------------------
Ron Earp
NC Region
Ford Lightning Tow Beast
RF GT40 Replica
Jensen-Healey ITS
1/2 a 260Z ITS - Zero

Spinnetti
03-06-2005, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Bob Burns:
David Spinnetti? Toyota Corolla GTS? From somewhere around Detroit?

It's been a long time, but did you run a drivers school/regional at IRP in 1992?

Bob...

Maaaaabe..... http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif

Yep, its me (My second drivers school, and won my first race on first outing there actually)

Bob, did you run a VeeDub? I can't remember, though I remember your name..

I'm from East Lansing originally, but now live in Northern Kentucky and work for Toyota's mfg HQ..

I still have the old beast, and have freshened everything up (really trying to sweat the details to get the last MPH out of it). I know my car (and probably me) is not competetive anymore, but I thought I'd give it one more go and see if it can still be fun. I can't beat the top cars, but should still be able to run maybe at the back of the front pack.

Spinnetti
03-06-2005, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Andy Bettencourt:
Also - in the same vien an Hoosier, if Goodyear offers a tire in your size, try it. We like them better than the current Hoosier. Same price, better life - and we think they are faster.

AB

Goodness, I hope they are better than they used to be. I ran one season in SSGT in a Mustang on them, and they lasted about 3 sessions! Fastest thing at the time, but good grief! I didn't want to win that bad!

If Hoosiers are like that now, I'll be buying the (relatively) rock hard Toyos!

Spinnetti
03-06-2005, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the tips folks...

Looks like I might get the toyos, and then use them as rain tires after my track day... I think that might be a way to get the best of both worlds, since my primary wheels need new tires too (will put Hoosiers on them)

Next question: Cheapest place to get the Toyos? (and should I get the 195 instead of 205 if they will be primarily rain tires?)

[This message has been edited by Spinnetti (edited March 07, 2005).]

Fastfred92
03-07-2005, 10:24 AM
Shameless plug maybe but I have had good luck so far on Hankook Z211 tires on a fairly heavy car ( SSB GTI VR6 @ 2930 lbs ). Thay are faster and last longer than the Kuhmo's

www.hankooktireusa.com/competitiontireguide.asp (http://www.hankooktireusa.com/competitiontireguide.asp)

Fred

[This message has been edited by Fastfred92 (edited March 07, 2005).]

Bob Burns
03-07-2005, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Spinnetti:
Yep, its me (My second drivers school, and won my first race on first outing there actually)

Bob, did you run a VeeDub? I can't remember, though I remember your name..
Thirteen years later, we cross paths again.

Yeah, I was in an 8-valve GTI (back then, they were in ITA). You in your Corolla GTS, a guy in a Jody Lift-prepared 16-valve Scirocco, and me qualified first through third for Sunday's race. The green flag dropped, I nailed the throttle, and passed the Scirocco as we crossed the start line. Then I noticed I was gaining on you and you were drifting left to take the proper line into Turn 1. I said, "what the heck", and stayed on the right with my foot on the floor, passing you at the end of the straight. I was very exhilirating! My lead didn't last, though, as both you and the Scirocco got back around me by the time we got to Turn 12.

I didn't race again until 1995 or so when I bought an ITC Rabbit that I ran for a few years.

The Toyota plant in Georgetown? My employer makes seats and interior trim parts for you guys. I lived in Lexington for a while.

Central Kentucky Region SCCA (www.ckrscca.org) is based in Lexington. Good people, mostly autocrossers though there are a few racers. They should be having a Tech Day at Jim Schings' shop on the north side of Lexington sometime soon. You can get your annual tech done there so you won't have to worry with it at the track.

Bob...

Spinnetti
03-07-2005, 05:59 PM
Thirteen years later, we cross paths again.

Yeah, I was in an 8-valve GTI (back then, they were in ITA). You in your Corolla GTS, a guy in a Jody Lift-prepared 16-valve Scirocco, and me qualified first through third for Sunday's race. The green flag dropped, I nailed the throttle, and passed the Scirocco as we crossed the start line. Then I noticed I was gaining on you and you were drifting left to take the proper line into Turn 1. I said, "what the heck", and stayed on the right with my foot on the floor, passing you at the end of the straight. I was very exhilirating! My lead didn't last, though, as both you and the Scirocco got back around me by the time we got to Turn 12.

>>> Bob,

Thanks for piping up.. It was very cool to read your account.. I actually don't remember the race at all except some poor schlub waxing his car on the last corner in the concrete walls! (was your bunny black? - I kept all my old race sheets from those days I'll have to look you up)

That was very flattering to say that I was 'drifting left to take the proper line'... even today, I wouldn't know even what the line is - I just know what feels right, and if thats the right line great! <grin>

The Toyota plant in Georgetown? My employer makes seats and interior trim parts for you guys. I lived in Lexington for a while.

>>> I'm an hour north at headquarters, but I go down to the plant once in a while. Which company are you with? (I work with purchasing's systems stuff)

They should be having a Tech Day at Jim Schings' shop on the north side of Lexington sometime soon. You can get your annual tech done there so you won't have to worry with it at the track.

>> Thanks for the tip Bob! (Haven't decided yet if I'll really get into it this year or next). I did a track day with a fellow IT/A racer in his race prepped street CRX with an itegra engine.. I was able to eventually run him down at putnam, him with lots more power and new race tires, me on 6 year old used race tires! I got to thinking, hmmm. maybe the old dog has some life left (and the car too)

Bob...[/B]

Bob Burns
03-08-2005, 12:55 PM
Yeah, I was in a black GTI.

I work for Johnson Controls. Our automotive interiors group does a lot of work for Toyota. I work for the controls group and ran the temperature controls installation project for the new seat assembly plant we built in Georgetown about 4 years ago.

If you are an hour north of Georgetown, that puts you closer to Cincinnati. There's an SCCA region there that's pretty active with a lot of racers. You are also probably pretty close to the Koni facility near the Cincinnati airport. One of their marketing/tech guys is Lee Grimes. He has an ITA CRX that he's converting to one of the Production classes.

I'll be at IRP regional in May as a steward. Maybe I'll see you there!

Bob...

DavidM
03-08-2005, 01:18 PM
You guys are referring to the shaved Toyos, right? I'm in the same boat right now. I'm gonna be slow till my driving gets better, so the Hoosiers would just be a waste.

Thanks.

David

Mike Spencer
03-08-2005, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by DavidM:
You guys are referring to the shaved Toyos, right? I'm in the same boat right now. I'm gonna be slow till my driving gets better, so the Hoosiers would just be a waste.

Thanks.

David

Depends if you are going to use them as "rains". I bought a set of shaved Toyos for my double-school at Roebling last month (IT7). They lasted the whole weekend and have lots left!

FWIW, Appalachian Tire was great! HOWEVER, they can NOT shave tires at the track. That has to be done back at the shop. Call ahead and tell them what you want, but unless you order "spares" too, they may not have any more if you happen to cut a tire during the weekend.

------------------
Mike Spencer
NC Region
ITA/7 RX-7 #60
1990 RX-7 Convertible (street car)

lateapex911
03-08-2005, 08:14 PM
I got a season out of a set of shaved Toyos! 7 races and a school, and...get this..I DROVE to the track on them!

Yup, from basically NYC to New Hampshire, Pococno PA, Watkins Glen NY and of couse to Lime Rock in CT.

Thousands of street miles and hundreds of race miles.

On the last race in October, I qualified 5th on the grid, in an not fully developed RX-7, in a 20 car ITA field. And the pole sitter and outside pole were under the track record, and I was about 1.7 seconds back, in my 7th race ever. So..we know the driver wasn't responsible for the time..the tires were.

They are known to get faster as they get older.

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

backformore
03-08-2005, 08:29 PM
OK, I can't seem to find pricing for Hankook tires. Any of you Hankook guys give that info?

Ben 84 RX-7
03-08-2005, 09:10 PM
I just bought my first set of brand new race tires...EVER!! I got the Toyo's and can't wait to see what my lap times will be on new rubber! I am glad to hear everyone likes the Toyo's. JAKE!!!!! I thought you dropped off the face of the earth! PLEASE contact me so I can finally pay you for that header! 518-966-8713 or email at [email protected]

Thanks!

x-ring
03-09-2005, 09:51 AM
Backformore: Try Frisby race tire.

http://www.frisbyracetire.com/hankook_ventus_z211.htm

They don't have prices posted for all the new stuff in Hankook's new catalog, but the new stuff may not be out yet. I'd call and ask if you don't see what you want on their site. 800.798.7201

------------------
Ty Till
#16 ITS
Rocky Mountain Division

Fastfred92
03-10-2005, 10:17 PM
Hankook Z211 in 15" sizes around 135 - 140 range shaved... Good tire for the money! They will have some very neat Hoosier / Kuhmo 710 like tires out this summer in select sizes,,,

Call Vilven tire 800-251-0017

shwah
03-11-2005, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Fastfred92:
Hankook Z211 in 15" sizes around 135 - 140 range shaved... Good tire for the money! They will have some very neat Hoosier / Kuhmo 710 like tires out this summer in select sizes,,,

Call Vilven tire 800-251-0017

Vilven Tire - good people.

I happened to be passing through their neck of the woods last year. Called ahead, ordered a set of shaved Toyos, dropped by on Saturday mid-day with wheels in my trunk and they mounted them up at no extra charge.

It was a lot of fun talking to them about developing tire shaving processes back in the days that autocrossers were just starting to notice faster times on worn tires.

Chris

Spinnetti
03-11-2005, 11:53 AM
Yeah, I was in a black GTI.

I work for Johnson Controls. Our automotive interiors group does a lot of work for Toyota. I work for the controls group and ran the temperature controls installation project for the new seat assembly plant we built in Georgetown about 4 years ago.

If you are an hour north of Georgetown, that puts you closer to Cincinnati. There's an SCCA region there that's pretty active with a lot of racers. You are also probably pretty close to the Koni facility near the Cincinnati airport. One of their marketing/tech guys is Lee Grimes. He has an ITA CRX that he's converting to one of the Production classes.

I'll be at IRP regional in May as a steward. Maybe I'll see you there!

Bob...

Funny how the world turns.. Yep, we do a lot of business with Johnson controls..

I'm in Verona, up by Cinci. and the track day I was referring to is being put on by Lee http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif Lee lives about 7 or so miles from me..

If I can find a cheap place to get Toyos (didn't find anybody quickly so far), I'll get some for that track day, and then just use those for rains..

Probably won't make IRP this year, but I hope to do one or two this year... (time and kinds permitting)

Cheers,

Dave.

gran racing
03-12-2005, 02:43 PM
Vilven does the best shaving I've seen so far. Much, much better than tire rack.

------------------
Dave Gran
NER ITB #13
'87 Honda Prelude si

evanwebb
03-14-2005, 01:14 PM
Hey which Toyo tire is the right one for IT? Is it the Proxes? I think they have more than one race-type tire. This is for a ITB Volvo, is the appropriate size in the Toyos a 225/50/15 or do they have a 45 aspect ratio, or...? thanks!

Fastfred92
03-14-2005, 04:47 PM
Vilven is great to deal with! I wish they were closer to me.....

The guys at Appalachian Tire are also first rate.. They do not handle Hankook yet but they attend most SEDIV events and offer great trackside service!

------------------
Fred Alphin
#92 Hankook Tire SSB VW GTI VR6
BMW 325i ITS ( 2006 ? )

Bob Burns
03-15-2005, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by shwah:
Vilven Tire - good people.
I agree.

Back when we were running Rabbits in Showroom Stock (early 1980s), we drove over to Royal, Illinois, a couple of times to get tires mounted and shaved on the spot. Spending a Saturday morning with the Vilvens was always enjoyable and educational. The hot set up in tires back then were 155/80R13 Kleber (a French subsidiary of Michelin) V12's. Vilven would ask you a lot of questions about how the car was set up and how you drove. Then he'd put just the right cut on the tires to make you go faster. The tires may have been skinny, but we still had a pretty good time.

They took real good care of us at the Runoffs one year, too. In the mid-80s when we were running Goodyears on Golf GTIs in SSC, Vilven was running Goodyear's Showroom Stock program. At the '86 Runoffs, Bob Vilven came up to us in the pits after the first practice session, looked at our tires, and told us to bring a set of wheels to the Goodyear tent. We ended up getting a new set of tires everyday and each day we went faster. Finished 4th that year after the first two guys got tossed in Tech.

Bob...

P.S. Back in those days, Bob had one of those chest-type Coke machines where you put your money in and then slide the bottle through the slots to a gate so you can pull it out. The difference was that the Coke machine in the Vilven back shop contained Stroh's long-necks and the gate had been jimmied so you didn't have put put in any money. <grin>

Knestis
03-15-2005, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by evanwebb:
Hey which Toyo tire is the right one for IT? Is it the Proxes?...? thanks!

We used the RA-1 on the Golf for the enduro. I don't know what the other options are...

K

JIgou
03-15-2005, 03:00 PM
If you're looking for a Toyo for IT, you want the RA-1.

World Challenge used to run on the T1-S, which is a great street tire....but nothing like the RA-1.

On my SM, they take about three good heat cycles (shaved to 4/32nds) to really come into their own....and I go faster every session until the cords are hanging out (not just showing). Maybe that's just a Miata thing or something, but that's my experience.

Jarrod

emwavey
03-16-2005, 04:00 PM
I was on the fence about which tire to use until I read this thread... the (shaved) 205/55/14 Toyos arrived today... school is this weekend WDCR.

I ordered Monday and they're here already(Wednesday). Appalician Tire kicks butt.

-dave
8)

[This message has been edited by emwavey (edited March 16, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by emwavey (edited March 16, 2005).]

lateapex911
03-17-2005, 09:48 PM
Hey guys... a little off topic here...

I got a very distubing call today from a guy who I not only like, but respect.

He said he read my post above, where I said I wished the Hoosier plant would burn to the ground so we don't have to use the things...and he wanted clarification.

One of the problems with the internet is that comments like that, can be misunderstood, especially when the writer (me) is not thorough enough to re-read, and include a smiley, or a LOL, or something... http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif

I have edited the aforementioned post, but please, if you were offended, or thoght I was in the least way serious, I apologise!

Of course, I would never wish any such thing. My point, which I clearly made poorly, was merely that I wish that an act of God would remove expensive tires (of any brand!) that need constant replacement from our list of choices....and that really, only an act of God can do that!

I know that if Hoosier doesn't make them soft and fast that some other company will. In amatuer racing, is it really vital that we turn laps of 1:32 instead of 1:33?? No...nobody really cares, and I would want to see blind testing to really believe that a driver is getting more kicks from the increased G loading the faster tire provides.

Again, my apologies if I offended anyone in any way. For the record, all of my Hoosier dry tires have performed as advertised, and they have never let me down. And my only win came in Biblical rain conditions, on Hoosier Dirt Stockers....

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

8VITB
03-28-2005, 07:18 PM
has anyone run the new avons? i think i just bought my last set of hoosiers. $170 a pop for 205/55/14 !?! i have run the toyos on my golf, they wear like iron , but i prefer ithe crisper turn in feeling of the hoosiers. i was thinking of trying the avons out. from what i have read they are fairly similar to hoosiers. anybody?

bldn10
03-29-2005, 10:38 AM
I tried a new set of Avons (225-45-15) a couple of weeks ago on an ITS RX-7. I had some old Hoosier 03s on the previous test day and they had no grip so the Avons were like night and day. However, I was unable to do a back-to-back w/ a good set of Hoosiers so the jury is still out until my next event when I will run both. I did 4 sessions on the Avons (heat-cycled by TireRack) and they had good grip and predictability and showed little wear. I would not say they were faster than Hoosiers but if they are just as fast and last at least as long, the $120/set savings would be worth it. FWIW the Midwest Div. ITS Championship was won on Avons.

------------------
Bill Denton
87/89 ITS RX-7
02 Audi TT225QC
95 Tahoe
Memphis

Rabbit07
03-29-2005, 12:41 PM
I run an ITB Mustang on Hoosiers, 225 14's and I get around 12-15 heat cycles out of them, they fall off a bit after about 8 cycles, but not that bad. I run in the Central division and at Waterford Hills, so temps maybe cooler than down south. I ran my whole season last year on 3 sets of tires. Don't be affriad of the Hoosiers, it really depends on how you care for them. I rotate my tires after every session ( this also gives you a chance to check brakes and such http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif )I am also always checking alignment and verifing tire temps. Also remember to no drive the tires off the car, keep the Slip angle to optimum and all will be well..... My $.02

wburstein
03-29-2005, 06:00 PM
I'm with Rabbit07. We have been running Hoosiers for years and I just smile when I hear someone complain that they are only good for a few heat cycles. With proper care, we run them almost to the cords and I have been as fast or faster on tires with 10+ heat cycles.

Of course, if you don't break them in properly or overheat them, you are not going to get that kind of wear.

------------------
Wayne Burstein
WDC Region, ITS #10, Datsun 240Z
www.mountainmotorsports.net

bldn10
03-30-2005, 11:29 AM
The experience I have had w/ Hoosiers, especially the 04s, is that the grip is gone long before the tread. So, I would think it would have nothing to do w/ rotating, flipping, etc. - the tires are not wearing out or wearing unevenly, they have plenty of rubber left and look like good tires. But I go out on them and I'm sliding all over the place. My first set of 04s I heat cycled on a Fri. test day and did not run them until Sun. The first 4 sessions were fine but the 5th was a bust. The next set was better, about 6 good sessions and a few more as they went away, still w/ plenty of rubber.

------------------
Bill Denton
87/89 ITS RX-7
02 Audi TT225QC
95 Tahoe
Memphis

Knestis
03-30-2005, 12:30 PM
Reading this, I wonder if that reduced grip - after heat cycles - is actually less than that of, say, a Toyo with the same kind of history.

The Toyos drop off little - if at all - as they age but if the Hosers start out sufficiently faster, it might just be that the complaints we hear are relative to Hosers at their best, vs. other options.

Stick will spoil you.

K

8VITB
03-30-2005, 06:53 PM
rabbit 07,i rotate my tires too. i even take the time to measure the tread (or lack of) depth to see if i need to flip the tire on the wheel. i drive an a2 golf with a welded diff. the loaded or outside front corner (lf at memphis and atlanta rf at hallett) obviously wears the most. the other 3 do not wear so bad. but i have noticed that measureing from the outside in, the 3rd ,or inner groove wears alomst as bad as the outside shoulder. the S04s seem to wear funny. i run-3.2 to-3.5 deg. and my temps are perfect. what have you seen on the rabbit vs. the mustang? what has anyone else seen out there? the welded diff probably had something to do with it. just curious. im not bitchin . i really like these tires, but i would like to make them last longer

Rabbit07
03-30-2005, 08:32 PM
I too have noticed that the S04 wears a bit funny. I get a feather edge across each groove. I have tried different set ups, but it always looks the same. Because I run 225's on a 6" wheel I get a bit more edge wear, but I expect it. It does not seem to affect the life of the tire or the handling, I picked up a second at my home track when I first ran the S04's

wburstein
03-30-2005, 10:07 PM
We have been getting fairly even wear on the '04s, running similar camber settings to those that worked on the '03s. There is some feathering in the grooves, but I attribute that to the fairly wide grooves that allow rubber to collect there.

As for the 04's going away in 4-6 heat cycles, that is sure not happening with ours. My car is an ITS 240Z that is always a little on the loose side, but the tires are quite consistent. I have rarely had grip problems when others were not experienceing the same issue.

What are your hot pressures? We try to come in with the tires at 42 psi hot, and I have found anywhere between 40 and 44 psi to work well.

------------------
Wayne Burstein
WDC Region, ITS #10, Datsun 240Z
www.mountainmotorsports.net

Rabbit07
03-31-2005, 12:47 PM
I shoot for 48-50 psi hot, works good.

8VITB
03-31-2005, 06:49 PM
40-45 hot. i start at 33 or 32 front cold and 35 34 rear

zooracer
05-02-2005, 10:02 PM
I know someone on here mentioned running RA-1's unshaved, even in the dry. I searched but couldnt find it.
Is this true? Everything I've ever read or heard advises against this with a race tire in the dry.
Is it something specific to Toyo's?
Also, I put some Traction V treatment on my old kumho's this week in preparation for VIR, but now will not be able to attend the race. My next race will be in a month. Should I reapply a few days before that race?
thx