PDA

View Full Version : Crankcase has anti-freeze 1 1/2 inch over full

ddewhurst
04-06-2005, 09:46 PM
My 2000 Ford Ranger 4 liter for haullen the race car (we only have hills on my routes) is approx 1 1/2 inch over the full mark with anti-freeze & YES it's milk brown.

Compression test showed each cylinder at 175 psi. The plugs look ok.

BUT, to make the compression test simpler I took off the alternator & the air intake tube that travels from the air cleaner to the throttle body. The air tube has anti-freeze in it, the air cleaner is wet from anti-freeze & the bottom of the air cleaner box is wet from anti-freeze.

Any experience/thoughts are appreciated.

Tomorow I will take off the upper & lower intake manifold for a look see. Water does travel through the lower intake manifold.

Duh........ http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif
David

Eagle7
04-06-2005, 10:20 PM
My condolences, David. Just went through that with my 350 Chevy. I also had water out the tailpipe, and changed head gaskets. Never was sure where the leak was.

Things I acquired in the process:
* Coolant pressure tester - boy are they expensive - $130.
* Leakdown tester - made my own from parts in the Lowes air compressor accessories department.

------------------
Marty Doane
ITS RX-7 #13
CenDiv WMR

[This message has been edited by Eagle7 (edited April 06, 2005).]

Joe Harlan
04-07-2005, 12:02 AM
Cracked heads is likely the issue David sorry. Call Loshak doesn't he rebuild engines
?

bill f
04-29-2005, 05:01 PM
Unless you have had the engine in freezing weather without antifreeze (but you mentioned the crankcase being full of it), the problem is likely blown head gaskets. You cant trust some testing proceedures because temperature is involved.

If testing is not totally productive, I'd just pull the heads, and check the trueness of the head surfaces, and carefully check the gasket for leaks.

The only other entry point for coolant is cylinderwalls, or heads from freezing, or the walls from possibly overheating if you have aftermarket forged pistons (unlikely if this is a production tow vehicle).

Any garage will be able to pressure test the cooling system, usually for a small fee. Loan of one from a friend will help.

Good Luck. Good racing.

Bill

ddewhurst
04-29-2005, 09:17 PM
Bill, I did a compression test & all 6 cylinders checked at 174 to 176. Decided because it is a tow vehicle, I don't know how long the anti-freeze has been leaking (bearings), the pan can not be taken off untill the motor is pulled, I don't want to change gaskets & have the friken bearings go south while I'm towing out of state having someone with their grip firmly on my family jewels I am having a remanufactured long block put in.
Nice run-on eh....

Have Fun http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif
David

Weaver7
05-01-2005, 01:44 PM
Just did my friends head Gaskets on his silverado (350 Chevy) he was driving it around for a week with the crankcase full of antifreeze!!! Anyway we changed the gaskets drove about 200 miles and changed the oil again. No problems and he just took it on a long trip with no problems.