PDA

View Full Version : Master Disconect Instalation

ITA Racer
01-08-2005, 08:58 PM
Iam looking for some info on the best way to instal a master disconnect switch on my ita neon, I am not an electrical wiz so any instructions must be idiot proof. Thanks again

jc836
01-08-2005, 09:13 PM
This topic has been covered. However,it depends on your skills at doing the install. You will need a suitable switch from a source such as Longacre. Make sure it has 2 poles (4 posts on the back). My setup follows the arrangement used by Krause & England on many of their builds, btw.

The battery cable will feed directly to the switch on one of the large posts. The output of the switch (other large post) goes to the starter and Main fuse box. The 2 small posts are to break the connection from the Fuse box to the Ignition switch-if you happen to have a Honda. Other cars will be similar.
Why do it this way you ask. Because this will guarantee that the alternator Field circuit does NOT have any power when you use the switch and that is the key to how it works with a CRX or any Honda for that matter (other cars will be similar). Our wiring is as described here. The connection going to the Ign switch is a 50 Amp White/black stripe line from the Main Fuse panel under the hood.

Where to mount the switch is up to you and your interpretation of the GCR. Ours is under the hood on a bracket welded to the firewall. We ran a pull cable from the lever to a point just below the edge of the windshield on the passenger side-very convenient and easy to reach. You can also run one into the cockpit if desired. Other folks mount their switches on a plate welded to the rollcage near the door. If you put the switch in the cockpit-you should use bulkhead fittings or heavy grommets to insulate the cables properly.

I can supply a few pictures if you really need them. Just send me an e-mail. The most important thing is to have the car's wiring diagram so that you can use the small pair of terminals to break the correct circuit. I might add that this setup will effectively kill the ECU power instantly. If you have an electrically controlled fire suppression system-make sure that it stays powered.

Hope this gets you started.

------------------
Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'99 Prelude=a sweet song
'03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow

Jan in Omaha
01-10-2005, 03:52 AM
I just asked this question over on the SpecNeon website. The method that was suggested to me was to put the switch between the positive pole on the battery and the power distribution box (the black box behind the battery) Run enough cable so you can put the switch at the base of the windshield. Email me directly at [email protected] for more info. Us unskilled ITA Neon guys need to stick together!!

Originally posted by ITA Racer:
Iam looking for some info on the best way to instal a master disconnect switch on my ita neon, I am not an electrical wiz so any instructions must be idiot proof. Thanks again

------------------
Whoomah! ™

Jan Gerber
Omaha, NE
95 Neon ACR #11 SSC/DSP/(ITS?)

apr67
01-10-2005, 10:14 AM
I would be vary careful about mounting the switch outside of the car. Both the metal and plastic switches have given me problems after they live in the racing environment for a few months (read: RAIN).

I strongly suggest mounting it on the passenger side of the main hoop, near the window opening. Try to mount it where rain will not deluge it.

I know nothing about neon's, but that's my experience for what it's worth.

ITA Racer
01-10-2005, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the help guys . I hope to get this done this week Will keep you posted as to how I make it work.

------------------
95 ITA Neon

java
01-11-2005, 08:01 AM
jc,

I like your config and went and looked at the switch I believe your using. I'd like to do something to your design but have some questions.

Please send pic of how you connected cable to switch. How are you labeling cable end at the windshield to show off to meet GCR?

------------------
Kevin

'?? ? SCCA IT? #??
'00 F350 - Got to tow vehicle covered

wbp
01-11-2005, 12:09 PM
In many applications you can minimize the amount of cable, and the exposure of cable, by running the ground to the switch, rather than the hot lead of the battery. We mount the switch on the right side of the cage at the front edge of the window. A bolt is welded to the cage right next to the switch and the cable from the switch is grounded there, right next to the switch. This gives you a ground wire rather than a hot wire running through the firewall.

jc836
01-11-2005, 02:20 PM
Kevin
Drop me an e-mail to [email protected] and I will upload what I have to you. We did not tag each of the wires for the Longacre switch.
You will see a pair of red (battery to Main paneland Starter. Second pair of blue ones, in the picture, control the Ignition and Alternator because they are the feed to the switch on the column on the 50 Amp circuit on a CRX.
The rules state that you must have a decal where the switch is located. In our case the decal is above a red handled pull cable. Under the hood the switch has a plate showing On-Off.

Jim

------------------
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'99 Prelude=a sweet song-FOR SALE

Turfer
01-11-2005, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by apr67:
I strongly suggest mounting it on the passenger side of the main hoop, near the window opening.

I prefer the drivers window opening and in reach of a belted driver as 9 out of 10 times that is where the corner worker shows up first.

Rick

wbp
01-13-2005, 08:06 PM
Be very careful in design if mounted in the driver's window opening. We find it difficult to mount there without producing an injury hazard for driver's hands and forarms.

ITA Racer
03-19-2005, 10:09 PM
I finnaly got around to installing the master disconnect switch in my neon. Let me say it was soooooooo much easier than I thought it would be. If anyone needs instructions and or pics I would be happy to send them. Thanks for the help guys.

------------------
95 ITA Neon

Jan in Omaha
03-21-2005, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by ITA Racer:
I finnaly got around to installing the master disconnect switch in my neon. Let me say it was soooooooo much easier than I thought it would be. If anyone needs instructions and or pics I would be happy to send them. Thanks for the help guys.

Pics would be great! I am putting mine in my Neon on Monday. I have had the cables fab'd up already and just need to cut a small hole and get some bolts to mount it.

[email protected]

------------------
Whoomah! ™

Jan Gerber
Omaha, NE
95 Neon ACR #11 SSC/DSP/(ITS?)

Knestis
03-21-2005, 09:06 AM
As an aside, there is NO better tool for making DIY round holes in sheetmetal than a step drill - those bits that look like pine trees. They aren't cheap but they should last pretty much forever.

K

JohnRW
03-21-2005, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Knestis:
They aren't cheap but they should last pretty much forever.
K

Uni-bits & step-drills are the nutz. They last forever, especially if you drop them into the frame rails of your vehicle when the drill chuck gets loose. A previous one of mine lives on...now rattling around inside the frame of the official Rausch Creek Motorsports Pro-Rally School E-350 (hope you find it someday, Andy...)

jc836
03-21-2005, 04:29 PM
For those wanting to see how we did ours-drop me an e-mail and I will upload them to you.
[email protected]
Jim

------------------
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'99 Prelude=a sweet song-FOR SALE

seamus88
03-21-2005, 07:30 PM
Unibits are great,but to make them last forever you use a pilot hole.