PDA

View Full Version : Leaky Valve Stem

JLawton
03-15-2005, 08:06 PM
I have a sloooow leak in one of my valve stems. Can that be fixed or does the whole stem have to be replaced?

------------------
Jeff L
#74 ITB GTi

Greg Amy
03-15-2005, 08:29 PM
Jeff, those are typically caused by leaky Schraeder valves, and are easily replaced. $1 valve and a $5 tool (a very good tool to keep handy in your 'box with extra valves...)

joeg
03-16-2005, 11:18 AM
Get the tool--a must for any racer-then simply tighten the shrader valve already in the stem or take one out of a spare!

Try tightening because that is usually the problemo.

Cheers.

philstireservice
03-17-2005, 12:08 AM
Like Greg said......change it. They corrode over time ....

------------------
Phil Phillips
2004 Honda Challenge H3
NASA ECHC CHAMPION

www.philstireservice.com

JLawton
03-17-2005, 07:48 AM
Got 'em, did it, done and fixed! I also took care of a trailer tire as well!! Learn somthin' new EVERY day!

Thanks for the help!!

------------------
Jeff L
#74 ITB GTi

Knestis
03-17-2005, 08:39 AM
I had one develop a leak at the base of the rubber valve stem this spring - never seen that before.

K

jc836
03-17-2005, 09:56 AM
Leakiny Schrader valves do happen. The problem Knestis has can be caused by several possiblities. One of them is that the stems should be replaced frequently if you are remounting tires. I have seen how they can tear on a tire machine. Just a thought

------------------
Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'99 Prelude=a sweet song-FOR SALE
'03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow

whenry
03-17-2005, 11:00 AM
I dislike using rubber valve stems in racing wheels due to the frequent handling that occurs in the race tire mounting process. It is just too easy to bend/break the stem.
There are issues with metallic stems/valves too but those just involve periodic maintenance with a wrench.
Rubber does age and I have lost races and positions particularly with rain tires, where as pressure builds in the tire, the stem leaks and the tire goes down. Rain tires you dont handle as frequently and you may not realize that you have an issue until the tire is down and you are stranded alongside the track.
There is probably some standard for aging stems/valves and the replacement thereof but I am not aware of it.