PDA

View Full Version : Chrysler Sebring

kaioken
03-09-2005, 08:06 PM
I have a 95 Chrysler Sebring LXI that I want to turn into a Improved Touring Car.

Im located in Auburn, Mi does anybody know who installs roll cages in Michigan?

Nigel Stu
03-09-2005, 09:32 PM
Hum, I'm surprised no one has chimmed in on this one yet... So I get to be the FIRST!

3 comments for you. Please take these as helpful comments only, we want you to join us on the track, these may help clear things up and make it easier for you.

1 - search the forums, this topic comes up a bit
2 - Buy a GCR from SCCA (I don't remember seeing the Sebring listed anywhere in IT, I also don't remember Sebrings being available with a munual trans.... but I could be wrong about both of those)
3 - BUY a car already built. Much easier, much quicker and ultimately cost less.

Ben

ShelbyRacer
03-09-2005, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by kaioken:
I have a 95 Chrysler Sebring LXI that I want to turn into a Improved Touring Car.

Im located in Auburn, Mi does anybody know who installs roll cages in Michigan?

Hold off on the cage there bud. First item of business is to get the car classified in IT, because as of right now, it's not there.

That being said, some places might let you run in ITE, where you'd probably, um, not be competitive... Also, you might work in a local IT class if you're going to run specifically at Waterford Hills or somewhere, but you'd have to check out their rules to see if you're eligible...

Better start writing letters to the CRB if you want it in one of the main IT classes...

------------------
Matt Green
"Ain't nothin' improved about Improved Touring..."

kaioken
03-09-2005, 10:10 PM
The Eclipse and Avenger/Sebring are all dsm.
Engines and Drivetrain can be swaped.

1995-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse 16V non-turbo 1950
1995-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse 16V turbo AWD 2910 add 50 pounds for AWD

kaioken
03-09-2005, 10:12 PM
Sorry about posting this in the wrong spot.

ShelbyRacer
03-09-2005, 10:56 PM
The Eclipse and Avenger/Sebring are all dsm.
Engines and Drivetrain can be swaped.

That's irrelevant. The body type is not classified. The Avenger is also not classified. As a side note, the stratus is, but again, different body. You cannot run the Sebring in ITA unless it gets classified (which I'm pretty sure it hasn't in the last two months).

------------------
Matt Green

ShelbyRacer
03-09-2005, 11:05 PM
Oh, and where the heck do you see a listing for the AWD turbo Eclipse in IT? Or am I missing something here?

------------------
Matt Green

eMKay
03-09-2005, 11:16 PM
I have no idea where you are getting your numbers from, the only DSM of that era that is classified is the 95-98 Eclipse FWD 2.0 non turbo and the weight is 2650lbs.

kaioken
03-10-2005, 04:51 PM
I contacted John Bauer the Technical Assistant for Club Racing and he sent me the Vehicle Technical Specification (VTS) sheets.

I will try and keep you guys posted.

bhudson
03-10-2005, 05:27 PM
This is interesting....

Someone from the National Office sending specifications for cars that aren't classified. Not to mention that the IT rules specifically prohibit both forced induction and all wheel drive.

Bob Hudson
Atlanta Region SIT

JohnRW
03-10-2005, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by bhudson:
This is interesting....

Someone from the National Office sending specifications for cars that aren't classified. Not to mention that the IT rules specifically prohibit both forced induction and all wheel drive.

Bob Hudson
Atlanta Region SIT

Land the black helicopter, Bob. Those are the forms used to apply for classification. Topeka prolly has no idea what a Chrysler Sebring is.

kaioken
03-10-2005, 06:49 PM
The Chrysler Sebring and Dodge Avenger are not
forced induction or all wheel drive. And far as where I got the awd information was from the www.ustcc.com (http://www.ustcc.com) site. Sorry about that. Not to be related to IT.

Rabbit07
03-11-2005, 07:50 AM
If and when you are ready to build your car you should contact the company that I work for. Skytek Engineering has a history with Chrysler race cars. We have built many winning Neons includng the two factory SRT-4's that ran at last years Run-offs. We would be more than happy to help you out and we are in Rochester Hills Mi. Contact Pete Taylor at 248 856-2000.

bhudson
03-11-2005, 02:38 PM
Helicopters landed and shut off....

eMKay
03-12-2005, 12:04 PM
The Chrysler Sebring and Dodge Avenger are not
forced induction or all wheel drive. And far as where I got the awd information was from the www.ustcc.com (http://www.ustcc.com) site. Sorry about that. Not to be related to IT.

Right, we all know that, we also all know that the Sebring and Avenger are not classified in IT yet, so as of now you are SOL. If it does become classed (You can try to make that happen by contacting the SCCA) you will not be able to swap in a turbo engine or any other engine for that matter.

kaioken
03-12-2005, 12:45 PM
Yes, I know that I cant swap the motor for one with a Turbo now..

lateapex911
03-12-2005, 05:35 PM
OK, so...we all know it's not in an IT class, and if it gets put in one it will have to run in original engine configuration...

So...when the request gets approved, which class will it fit into??

(And, the crux of the isssue is, really, what class does the applicant WANT the car to be in, knowing what mods are allowable, and the potential perfomance HE thinks is reasonable??)

Final point is that I am not sure this car (and I admit to not having a good handle on this model) will fit in the faster classes, but might be perceived as too large fort he slower classes.

Maybe ITB?

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

ShelbyRacer
03-12-2005, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by lateapex911:
So...when the request gets approved, which class will it fit into??
-----
Maybe ITB?

Nah, probably ITA.

Car was about 2800-2900lbs, which can be brought down to 2700 or so with IT legal gutting probably. Uses a 2.0 DOHC engine that would make about 160hp (or slightly more) in IT trim. Basically, Neon power level but toting around 100 more lbs. or so.

The 98 vintage Eclipse is already in ITA with the same engine at 2700 lbs.

Just thinking out loud, but I'd like to know from the ITAC guys if I'm thinking along the correct lines if possible...

------------------
Matt Green

Bill Miller
03-12-2005, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by lateapex911:

Final point is that I am not sure this car (and I admit to not having a good handle on this model) will fit in the faster classes, but might be perceived as too large fort he slower classes.

Jake,

W/ the New Oinker, I mean New Beetle in ITC, I don't think the weight issue is much of an issue.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

lateapex911
03-12-2005, 10:07 PM
True...I thought the car was larger. If it can get to 2700, A might be a consideration. But I think of the rentals I have had and I just don't see it in ANY class ! http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif But mods can do a lot....

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

kaioken
03-13-2005, 02:17 PM
Its nice to see you guys are not bashing me anymore.

Eagle7
03-13-2005, 03:28 PM
There he is again. Get him! http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/biggrin.gif

------------------
Marty Doane
ITS RX-7 #13
CenDiv WMR

ShelbyRacer
03-13-2005, 07:38 PM

We weren't bashing *you* (at least I wasn't), we were merely pointing out the fact that your car was not currently in the mix, yet you seemed to be so sure it was. Perhaps we should be a little more gentle, but I will say that if you hang out here for any length of time, you can't take much too seriously, or you'll go on a killing spree...

Speaking of which, anyone hear from Mr. Conspiracy Theory lately? I can't remember his name (Matt something?), but he was the guy talking about the SCCA and money and all that crap...

------------------
Matt Green

kaioken
03-14-2005, 03:17 AM
Hey, I look at it this way if the SCCA will recognize my car is SCCA worthy. More power to me, then I dont need to buy another car. Its worth a try.

Bill

924Guy
03-14-2005, 10:39 AM
Seems to me you need to come out to Waterford for a weekend, see what's out there and good before you committ to racing an oddball. Trust me, it's neither easy nor cheap. If you're committed to a Mopar project, there's better options like Neons. If you're committed to the chassis - go with an Eclipse. There's just so many better ways to solve the problem than what you're looking at right now. We're just trying to open your eyes to other, better possibilities.

------------------
Vaughan Scott
Detroit Region #280052
'79 924 #77 ITB/GTS1
www.vaughanscott.com

Knestis
03-14-2005, 12:02 PM
If the Sebring is in OK shape, you could probably buy an ex-SSC Neon for what you can sell it for - caged and mostly ready to go.

We do tend to answer questions that weren't actually asked around here, huh? http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif

K