PDA

View Full Version : Mufflers

Doc Bro
03-08-2005, 11:37 AM
Any one have any strong opinions about a muffler. Low restriction, good sound control? Probably going to run a 2-2.5 inch pipe. It's for a BMW Z3 1.9 Liter. Thanks

Tristan Smith
03-08-2005, 11:52 AM
I run a flowmaster and it has kept my loud 240sx under the DB limits. It seems to flow well and there is nothing in it to "burn out". So it should last you. It can be a bit heavy though.

------------------
Tristan Smith
Buffalo's Southwest Cafe
ITA Nissan 240sx #56

Knestis
03-08-2005, 12:09 PM
I had a Magnaflow street muff put on the Golf and I quite like it. DL-1 acceleration data suggests strongly that the car is faster with it than with a downturn after the cat. It's loud enough to hear but is a long way from the sound limit.

K

Ron Earp
03-08-2005, 12:40 PM
There are some other ways to approach it, that is, you can have the best of both worlds.

One way to do it is to install a dump before the muffler and if you want to use it unbolt the plate that blocks the dump and give it a whirl. In this fashion you can check performance of open setup vs. muffler. Best place to check this would be on a dyno though since you could eliminate those pesky variables such as driving.

Kirk you ought to set your system up so that the cat can be unbolted at the track if you are wishing to run the cat. I did a few of my drag cars that way and, at least with the cars I was running, they were definitely faster without cats and mufflers. However, you might be in the RPM range were you are depending on some torque from the motor and the lack of back pressure takes some of that away.

There are other solutions too, such as manual dump valves and electrical dumps so that you can vary the system to your choosing.

------------------
Ron Earp
NC Region
Ford Lightning Tow Beast
RF GT40 Replica
Jensen-Healey ITS
1/2 a 260Z ITS - Zero

Joe Harlan
03-08-2005, 01:04 PM
I have dynoed a lot of muffers over the years. I am pretty stuck on the Dynomax bullet mufflers if you need to knock no more than 3 DB off of the open system. If you need more than that the dynomax oval race muffler will bring most cars under 99db but it like the flowmaster is a little heavy.

Fastfred92
03-11-2005, 09:29 AM
If you can stand the cost, the best mufflers hands down come from Coast Fabrication... They can build you anything and there work is second to none and very low weight !

http://www.coastfab.com/

------------------
Fred Alphin
#92 Hankook Tire SSB VW GTI VR6
BMW 325i ITS ( 2006 ? )

[This message has been edited by Fastfred92 (edited March 11, 2005).]