PDA

View Full Version : Window Net

RacerBill
02-25-2005, 03:49 PM
Obviously have too much time on my hands waiting for the Shelby to get back from the frame shop. But as I was planning the design of the cage, I got to thinking about the window net. If I install the net per GCR 17.30 there will be an opening about 17" tall. I would prefer a larger opeining. I can extend the opening to about 20" by purchasing a different net, put would like a little more. How have some of you secured the bottom rod for the net to the door bar of the cage to make the opening from the top of the door bar to the roof bar larger? Thanks.

JohnRW
02-25-2005, 04:35 PM
Buy some chain that has links that the lower rod can fit thru. Drill the ends of the rod for cotter pins, just past each end of the net. Slide the net on the rod, slide a length of chain on each end, followed by a washer, then insert the cotter pins. Secure the upper rod, then weld each end of the chain pieces to the door bar. You can make the window net as loose or as tight as you'd like...I hate flapping window nets, so I keep it snug.

If you door bars extend into the door, make sure you close the door and check the clearances before lighting off the welder.

If you don't have a welder, make friends with somebody who does.

Chris Wire
02-25-2005, 06:44 PM
I have used 2 of the 2" sub straps from an old set of harnesses. Cut the buckle off to slide the bar through the material, or enlarge the opening to accomodate the tube. You wrap the lower portion of the strap around one of the door bars and adjust to your liking.

------------------
Chris Wire
Team Wire Racing
ITS Mazda RX7 #35
[email protected]

lateapex911
02-25-2005, 08:20 PM
You used webbing to secure the net? Hmmm so did I, but my tech guys said "Failorama!" Of course, the year before he was okie dokie with it.....and the year before that and...

well, anyway, I wanted a different setup, so I got the seatbelt buckle receiver (funny I had one hanging around!) which is on a semi firm cable, and bolted it in, and welded the buckle to the bottom rod. Now it can unbuckle top or bottom.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Geo
02-25-2005, 08:37 PM
I wanted my net to drop down (disconnect from the top) and I also didn't want anything getting in my way of getting in and out. At the bottom back I welded a tab that I installed a spherical rod end into with an ID to fit the lower rod of the net. In the front, I welded a looped bracket between the upper and lower tubes of the X braces and this bracket stopped the rod at the top and bottom. This allows me to put the net at the right height, but also allows it to drop below the tubes of the X. http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX
84 944 ITS car under construction
92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
http://www.nissport.com

[This message has been edited by Geo (edited February 25, 2005).]

JLawton
02-26-2005, 06:06 PM
Jake,
I must have had the same tech guy!! I also used straps, one year it was OK, the next, no go. He suggested wire rope (cable). It doesn't need welding that way.

------------------
Jeff L
#74 ITB GTi

robits325is
02-27-2005, 09:03 PM
So the same nylon used in the window net itself isn't sufficent as a mounting device for a window net? Seems odd.

Rob Driscoll

lateapex911
02-27-2005, 09:26 PM
Funny, both your comments were covered, and to me the obvious seemed obvious.

The cable concept was shot down based on the officials feeling that the swaged loops were insufficient. so I dropped that idea.

My comment on the webbing being the same amterial as the net resulted in the admonishment that I should be negotiating, after all, it was my arm that would be ripped off in the event of an incident.

I retreated to my paddock, logbook marked, thinking that the easier rout was to just comply, and thankfully, the tech who looked at the result raised his eyebrows at the notation, but happily signed off, and I was back in business.

As an aside, I'm sure all volunteeer organizations have issues where things like this happen. I am worried though as so many newcomers base their opinions of our club on the actions of those they have the greatest dealings with, tech. But, I am happy to report that the majority of my tech dealings have been positive, and that some of the guys have gone WAY above and beyond the call of duty to help me in tight times.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Daryl
02-27-2005, 09:30 PM
Hey Rob no logic allowed!

joeg
02-28-2005, 08:14 AM
Forget all the chains, cables, whips (sounds like a B&D group)and simply order a custom sized net to your dimensions.

They are only a couple dollars more than the standard sized nets.

I recommend M&R.

Cheers.

whenry
02-28-2005, 10:51 AM
My experiment with vinyl coated cable passed with no comment. So much does depend on the tech guy with the pen. Now he didnt like the fuel tester(even though it is the one used by NHRA or maybe because it is?) so I moved mine to the fuel filter location outside the engine compartment. The tech guy has to climb under the car to see it when doing the annual; they dont check it often!

Chris Wire
02-28-2005, 03:47 PM
I had the vinyl coated cable set up on my old A Sedan Mustang; it passed for 5 years without a problem.

I still prefer the strap set up. It adjusts much easier, and drops quicker too.

------------------
Chris Wire
Team Wire Racing
ITS Mazda RX7 #35
[email protected]