PDA

View Full Version : tech question

RacerBill
02-10-2005, 12:22 AM
I have a 34DMTR Weber that I would like to use on my Shelby Charger. The holes for the studs from the intake manifold are 1/4" too short. What are my options?
Thanks.

------------------
Bill Stevens
BnS Racing
83 ITA Shelby Dodge Charger

joeg
02-10-2005, 08:39 AM
Longer studs?

RacerBill
02-10-2005, 12:02 PM
No, studs are the right length, they are 1/4" too far apart (holes in carb are not far enough apart).

RacerBill
02-10-2005, 12:02 PM
No, studs are the right length, they are 1/4" too far apart (holes in carb are not far enough apart).

RacerBill
02-10-2005, 12:26 PM

Joe Harlan
02-10-2005, 01:26 PM
I would suggest getting or downloading a copy of the ITCS....An adapter maybe used to fit optional carb.

RacerBill
02-10-2005, 02:17 PM
Studs on intake manifold overlap holes in carb. If I used an adapter, there would be no room to mount studs to mount the carb to the adapter.

Greg Amy
02-10-2005, 02:28 PM
Are you asking for a technical or a legal answer? I don't know the rules specifically, but Joe sez an adapter is legal. So, your legal answer is as Joe sez: use an adapter.

From a technical standpoint, the fact that the studs overlap are of no relevance; that an easy exercise. First, does someone make a bolt-on adapter? If so, there's your answer. No need to reinvent the wheel.

If no one makes an adapter, then you're going to have to fabricate one. Off the top of my head, you'll design it out of aluminum, and about as thick as the head of a Allen head cap screw plus enough material for strength (oh, call it 1.8"). You bore a hole out of this plate to match your carb, and taper it nicely to fit your manifold. To secure it to the manifold you'll remove the manifold studs and counterbore the aluminum plate for Allen head cap screws, which will descend below the top of the plate. To secure the carb you'll drill and tap holes in the appropriate place for studs (you can use the same old ones if you want...)

So, find out what's legal, find out if someon has something already, and if not find someone with engineering abilities to design and fab one for you. - GA

Joe Harlan
02-10-2005, 03:09 PM
The 510 manifold bolt spread is smaller than the Weber also. There is an exosting adapter to fit them. Try pierce manifolds or redline weber on the web for an adapter kit for your application. If you cant find one we could probably build one for you but it would be a few weeks out.

Matt Rowe
02-10-2005, 03:52 PM
Bill,

The stock carb for the car already has an adaptor plate to go between the manifold and the carb. Is that the piece you are having trouble with or are you trying to mount directly to the manifold? I'm not familiar with the mounting pattern for the 34 DTMR, I would have thought it was identical to the 32/36 which bolts directly to the stock adaptor plate that came with the car. If that's not the case you may have some luck with an adaptor from another application.

------------------
~Matt Rowe
ITA Shelby Charger
MARRS #96

RacerBill
02-11-2005, 12:09 PM
Greg, Joe, and Matt: email me: stevenb6 at nationwide dot com, and I'll send you a drawing showing the problem.

------------------
Bill Stevens
BnS Racing

RacerBill
02-16-2005, 09:39 AM
Matt: did you get the drawing I sent you?

------------------
Bill Stevens
BnS Racing